Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Discuss Post National Duals Reflections/Detailed AA Predictions at the College Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; I said when I banged out a quick set of predictions in JT's thread a ...
    Blog Entries

Default Post National Duals Reflections/Detailed AA Predictions

I said when I banged out a quick set of predictions in JT's thread a few weeks ago that I like to wait until after National Duals and then try and make a detailed set.

Much like my ones in the preseason I did my best to utilize results in putting these together but some of the picks have varying degrees of defensibility.

Angel Escobedo, Joe Baker, Brandon Rader, and Scott Steele aren't going to be in these projections, I nearly dropped Tyrel Todd completely out but I couldn't find an eighth guy that I was comfortable with over him.

I'm well aware of how good the previous four guys are, but with their injury situations and the effect that it may or may not wind up having on their wrestling I didn't put them in. Wouldn't shock me at all to see them turn it up in the second half if and when they come back.

Preseason
    1. Troy Nickerson
    2. Angel Escobedo
    3. Charlie Falck
    4. Paul Donahoe
    5. Brandon Precin
    6. Anthony Robles
    7. Zach Sanders
    8. Nikko Triggas

Midseason
    1. Troy Nickerson
    2. Charlie Falck
    3. Paul Donahoe
    4. Brandon Precin
    5. Zach Sanders
    6. Scott Sentes
    7. Tyler Clark
    8. Anthony Robles

Nickerson had a nice first weekend back at National Duals after he finally made it back down to 125 picking up wins over Triggas (2-0), and Clark (4-2). He looked a little rusty on his feet but his mat work was still top notch as he rode Triggas and Krutsinger hard in the matches that I saw. If he's able to keep himself healthy and in the line up I think his neutral stuff comes along. He kind of had the same problem as a sophomore in terms of rustiness. He was out, came back lost to McKnight in a low scoring match, was in and out of the line up for the rest of the season then got beat by Eveleth in the conference finals, then won his matches tight in the bracket at NCAA's before getting upset by Donahoe.

I've been referring to Charlie Falck with the Denny Green "he is who we think he is" phrase for a while this season and I think it still fits. Save for the Sentes match he's looked great through out the season and he still found a way to win against Sentes. He's got other wins over Nicholson, Robles, and Clark.

Donahoe may arguably have looked the most impressive out of any 125 pounder so far and now that he's back in the line up and ranked #1 he's definitely a favorite to possibly win a second title. He's got bonus point wins over Triggas, Peterkin, and Blanc. Then other wins over Precin, Bedelyon, and Matt Fisk up at 133.

Precin still doesn't blow guys out that much but he remains a tough methodical wrestler who just doesn't lose much if at all. He's only got one loss this year to Donahoe. He's got wins over Pataky by major, Bedelyon, Orozco, Kjar, and Clark.

Sanders has had a great start to the year and he was a guy that I was very impressed with after I watched him this weekend. He didn't wrestle anyone really cream of the crop but he took care of business in all 5 of his matches. One of the most active guys in the country. He's got 1 loss to Peterkin in the Vegas final in a match that he got down in early and was mounting a comeback in. He has wins over Mustari, Zoetewey, Orozco (major), Robles, Blanc, Pataky (fall), and Triggas. The Pataky match really impressed me, going down by two TD's quickly to a guy he'd lost to in the past (albeit in freestyle) and then came back and absolutely destroyed him.

Sentes is in the argument for best true freshman. He's arguably been most impressive in a match that he actually lost the aformentioned pin against Falck. Had he not rushed a shot to try and get a major and either taken his time or even just stalled for 45 seconds he'd have won that going away. He's got two wins over Nicholson, a fall over Bedelyon, and other wins over Fio, Ashmore, and Blanc.

Clark is a guy that really surprised me coming into the year. He's a guy kind of like Precin that isn't really overwhelming in his matches but he again just wins. He's beaten Robles twice, and then this weekend he beat Escobedo and Owen. He's got tight losses to Falck, Precin, and Nickerson.

Robles seems to have been figured out a little bit from the feet against some of the top guys looking at his losses against Clark, Sanders, and his teammate Ashmore. There are few guys who can run a score up like him though. He's got techfalls over Garnett, Zoetewey, and Kjar, then a fall over Orozco, and a 7 point win over Blanc.

Preseason
    1. Jayson Ness
    2. Joey Slaton
    3. Franklin Gomez
    4. Lou Ruggirello
    5. Nick Fanthorpe
    6. Jimmy Kennedy
    7. Andrew Hochstrasser
    8. Joe Baker

Midseason
    1. Jayson Ness
    2. Franklin Gomez
    3. Jimmy Kennedy
    4. Daniel Dennis
    5. Reece Humphrey
    6. Andrew Hochstrasser
    7. Mike Grey
    8. Nick Fanthorpe

When I mentioned predictions that had varying degrees of defensibility my champion for this weight was one of them. I said in my preseason predictions that I didn't think Ness would miss a beat, he quite obviously has at the very least against the best of the best. Against the non best of the best he still tends to pin everyone, but his win over Strayer this weekend was probably his marquee win of the year. He's got losses to Kennedy, Hochstrasser, Dennis, and Humphrey.

While he hasn't wrestled that much this year there is still only one person who has beaten Franklin Gomez in a folkstyle match at 133 pounds. Thats Joey Slaton and Slaton isn't wrestling this year. Gomez's best win thus far is against Connor Beebe 11-4 which is a bigger gap than I believe anyone else on this list has put on Beebe this year.

With his early season wins over Ness and Hochstrasser, Kennedy looked like he might be a threat to run away with this weight class. His only loss thus far is the OT match at Midlands against Dennis and he managed to follow that up with a quality win over Steve Bell.

Dennis has been great since Midlands having knocked off Kennedy, Fanthorpe and Ness. He's one of the best handfighters in the country. The way he dominates tie ups is really just phenomenal. He runs into a problem sometimes when he does that though and its how he's lost both his matches. He pushed Bell and Grey all over the place in both losses but he just didn't shoot or half shoot enough. He was more offensive against Grey than against Bell but he still didn't do enough.

I still kind of worry about Humphrey's ability to keep it together against the best guys over a three day span given the fact that he's probably the biggest 133 pounder in the country but DAMN was he impressive this weekend. He put the worst beating on Mike Grey that I've seen put on him in college, he beat Hochstrasser, and then beat Ness. Then he has other wins over Deubel and Mitcheff. Only has the one loss to Baker at the All Star.

Seeing Hochstrasser do so well thus far this year makes me feel pretty good since I predicted him to AA coming into the year. He's got a loss to Kennedy in the Vegas final, and then the one to Humphrey this weekend. He also beat Strayer and Fanthorpe this weekend as well. He's got the win over Ness in Vegas where he very impressively rallied from a 4-0 deficit, and then has also beaten Fisk, Deubel, Mitcheff, and Bell.

Now that Grey has made it back down to 133 he should gradually work his way back up the rankings and remind everyone why he was ranked as high as #2 last year. Humphrey put it to him as said this weekend but he rallied off that with consecutive wins over Fanthorpe and Dennis. He lit up his opponents at the Scuffle before losing to Deubel but he rallied off that with a win over Mitcheff.

Like quite a few of his teammates Fanthorpe is having kind of a rough go right now against top flight guys losing this weekend to the two gentlemen I have listed directly above him. Then he also has the loss at Midlands to Dennis. Not all bad though, he's got the demolition of Slaton at CHA, and then a major over Schavrien and a win over Bell on his record so far this year.

Preseason
    1. Nick Gallick
    2. J. Jaggers
    3. Kellen Russell
    4. Mike Grey
    5. Brandon Rader
    6. Cody Cleveland
    7. Keith Sulzer
    8. Dan LeClere

Midseason
    1. Kellen Russell
    2. Nick Gallick
    3. Alex Tsirtsis
    4. Corey Jantzen
    5. Zach Tanelli
    6. Chris Drouin
    7. J. Jaggers
    8. Mike Thorn

Kellen Russell has had kind of a quiet season this year in contrast to last year where he sprung onto the scene and was #1 for most of it en route to winning Big 10's. He's got a loss by fall to Rappo this year, and then a loss by major to Nauman. He's got wins over Ciasulli, a tech over Prater, a major over Jon Burns, and then assorted wins over Thorn, Diaz, Kruger, Washington, and Molinaro.

Gallick most impressed me during his run through Midlands to take 3rd after he got knocked off in the first round by Gutnik. He's still having some struggles taking guys down but he got better at picking TD's up as the season went along last year, and his mat work is still top notch. He's also lost to Tanelli, and Tsirtsis. Then he has wins over Jaggers, Mooney, Cleveland, Drouin, Hoehn, Hernandez and Fish.

Tsirtsis back from the dead after his redshirt year. With wins over Drouin, Kruger, Gallick, Krom, Washington, Hoehn, Drouin, and Thorn. He's only got the one loss to Tanelli in the Midlands final. He seems more polished and more refined this year than he was in years past, he still can be ridden though. That may come back and bite him.

Jantzen has a distinction of having won the weirdest single tournament weight class ever, that being Vegas' 141 bracket where everyone beat everyone. He's got one loss this year, like Tsirtsis its to Tanelli. He's got falls over Bencivenga, Drouin, and Thorn. Then he has other wins over Jaggers, Nauman, and Novachkov.

It may look a little weird to have Tanelli down here to some when as I've mentioned he's handed the two guys ranked above him their only losses of the year. He's lost several times though losing to Nauman and Thorn out in Vegas, and then getting pinned by Washington soon after. He's beaten Ramirez, Gallick, Hutchinson, Jantzen, Tsirtsis, and Thorn.

Another guy having a pretty quiet season thus far is Drouin. He's got two losses to Tsirtsis, a loss to Gallick, the earlier mentioned loss by fall to Jantzen, and a loss to Diaz. He's also beaten Diaz, and he also has wins over Ciasulli, Parks, Thorn, and Ryan Williams.

While Jaggers certainly didn't get off to the start he wanted to this year I think his 5-0 mark at National Duals this weekend may be the sign of him starting to turn things around. In the matches I watched he had started to take guys down with his own shots, and in watching Jaggers thats really when you can tell that he's really cooking. He's lost to Gallick, Jantzen, Webster, Thorn, and Lashaway. He now has wins though over Washington, Hoehn, Cory Fish, and Thorn. I don't think he's going to put the run together to win this weight again like he did last year but if his weight is right he should AA again.

As a Minnesota fan Thorn has been a really pleasant surprise this year. Very much improved over the guy who was starting at 133 a few years ago. He's strong and he's become very well rounded. He's got 3 wins over Gabe Mooney, and then wins over Cleveland, Jaggers, Novachkov, and a fall over Molinaro in a match that he utterly dominated. He's picked up quite a few losses this year to Prater, Russell, Drouin, Parks, Jantzen, Tsirtsis, Tanelli, and Jaggers but those guys aren't exactly chopped liver. He's wrestled 30 matches already and will have more against tough competition so it'll be interesting to see how he holds up the rest of the way.

Preseason
    1. Brent Metcalf
    2. Bubba Jenkins
    3. Jordan Burroughs
    4. Darrion Caldwell
    5. Lance Palmer
    6. Matt Kyler
    7. Cesar Grajales
    8. Kyle Ruschell

Midseason
    1. Brent Metcalf
    2. Bubba Jenkins
    3. Darrion Caldwell
    4. Lance Palmer
    5. Bryce Saddoris
    6. Kyle Ruschell
    7. Steve Brown
    8. Matt Kyler

Like I said in the preseason predictions, its foolish to put anyone but Metcalf on top of this weight class right now. It was interesting to watch him struggle turning guys this year. Whether he turns guys or not will probably wind up having little effect since he's so good offensively and defensively from his feet and no one has been able to effectively ride him since Patacsil in the Midlands final last year. So far he's got the 19-3 tech over Caldwell this year, he's got the two decision wins over Brown, then he's got the major over Ruschell, and the tech over Mueller.

One thing that struck me in watching Bubba this weekend is that he's a lot smaller than I thought he would be. Another thing is that he's got something wrong with his right shoulder as he immediately began icing it down at the conclusion of his matches. Thats going to probably cause problems given thats his lead arm and the arm that he clamps the front headlock on with when he looks to hit his cement mixer. Like Metcalf he has not lost this year, he's got wins over Balum, a pin over Torsten Gillespie, a major over Saddoris, a win over Chinn, and then a win this weekend over Jason Chamberlain.

Caldwell's most memorable match this year has bene the tech fall loss in the All Star to Metcalf but in watching the match I wonder how a future match up goes if Caldwell doesn't dig himself into the early hole. He's very well rounded he's got big moves, he can wrestle guys straight up, and he's very tough on the mat. He's got two wins over Palmer so far this year, a pin over Saddoris, and then wins over Tirapelle, Ruschell, Chinn, and Grajales.

Palmer rounds out the top 4 here at this weight that I think are really a cut above the rest of the weight. His only losses so far this year are to Caldwell. Then he has wins over Kyler, Ruschell, Gillespie, and Chamberlain. He may remain as the guy at the weight with the best shot at Metcalf given that he's strong enough to handfight with him. If he wants to win that match he's going to have to find a way to break Metcalf down and get his legs in. I don't think he would pin Metcalf but thats a way for him to try and grind on Metcalf and to shorten the match.

I think Saddoris has been the first guy to stick in the #5 spot at this weight for more than a week. He's got wins over Patacsil, two wins over Roberts, Gillespie, and Grajales. He's given up bonus points in his two losses against Jenkins and Caldwell but that only puts him in a pretty large group of guys that have given up bonuses to those two.

Ruschell has handled the move up to 149 very well so far this year. His marquee win so far this year would be his pin over Patacsil in the Midlands final, then he has wins over Balum, Heinrich Barnes (14-2), two wins over Jason Chamberlain, then wins over Chinn and Borshoff. He has also lost to Patacsil, and then he's been beaten by Caldwell, Palmer, and Metcalf too.

Brown came kind of out of no where at Brockport after coming down from wrestling at 157 last year in beating Will Rowe and Kyler. He's still probably best known this year as "that dude that Metcalf can't major" having dropped the two decisions to him. He's also got two one point losses to Kyle Borshoff who I assume he doesn't match up well with. He's also got wins over Mueller, and Chinn.

Kyler has been kind of quiet thus far, but like Ruschell I think the move up this year has treated him pretty well. He's beaten Gillespie (10-0), Terry and then Tirapelle and Yates both by fall. He's lost to Brown, Chamberlain, Palmer, and Patacsil, but he had quite a few losses last year and managed to peak at the end and pull off the AA. I still think he does it again this year.

Preseason
    1. Dustin Schlatter
    2. Gregor Gillespie
    3. Mike Poeta
    4. Jordan Leen
    5. JP O'Connor
    6. Dan Vallimont
    7. Cyler Sanderson
    8. Adam Hall

Midseason
    1. Jordan Burroughs
    2. Gregor Gillespie
    3. Mike Poeta
    4. Jordan Leen
    5. JP O'Connor
    6. Cyler Sanderson
    7. Michael Chandler
    8. Adam Hall

I'm as impressed with Jordan Burroughs this season as I am with any wrestler not named Brent Metcalf or Jake Herbert. He made both Dan Vallimont and Cyler Sanderson look awful this weekend at National Duals. He has not lost this year. He's beaten Safratowich 3 times, then he's beaten Knox and Welch. Then he has his real headline wins over Schlatter, O'Connor, Leen, Vallimont, and Sanderson. I don't know how you're going to beat this guy (although I will expound on a few theories when I talk about the coming guys). One thing I found interesting, he did take a few big breaths through his mouth later in the match against Vallimont so he appeared to be tiring. However even while doing that he was still doing a great job moving his feet. The mental toughness to do that while tired impressed me.

Gillespie's best shot at knocking him off will probably come through using his very low level, very staggered stance to help protect his legs. He will have to make every shot and half shot count so that probably means no half shots where he goes way low to try and snag an ankle (but rarely succeeds) because Burroughs will reshot the holy hell out of him. Then try and get on top and lock his rebar in. Not sure if he'll get back points but thats something he can ride with and try and grind on Burroughs with. So far this year he has two wins over Moley and Erisman, he's got a major over Vallimont, then he's also beaten Terry, Vernon, Hall, Johnstone, and Bowman (major).

Poeta finally made it back this weekend and appears to be ready to go given that he put up 37 points against two guys that he would be expected to put 37 points up against. His best bet is probably to try and put the match into a phone booth (and this is kind of out of his comfort zone) and work from there. Don't let Burroughs build momentum up on his shots like he can from the outside and then hit his own fantastic reshots for TD's.

I think Leen may have the best shot at Burroughs, but to do so he'd have to wrestle what would probably be an unpopular strategy. His wrestling from one knee against Poeta helped win him a National title last year and it worked pretty well against Burroughs in the Vegas final when he made his shots count. There were times though where he didn't and when he didn't Burroughs took him down with reshots. Like Gillespie his toughness on top is an advantage that he can try to exploit. Other than the loss to Burroughs he also has a loss to O'Connor. Then he has two wins over Sanderson (a pin and a major), then he has wins over Winston, Vallimont, Kinser, Hall, and Johnstone.

O'Connor is the guy that has held Burroughs to his lowest scoring output that aformentioned 3-2 match in the Vegas semi's and if he can keep the score that low he has a shot. He's not really a guy that is going to win shootouts though so if he wants to win thats probably his best bet. He's got the win over Leen, then he also has wins over Johnstone, Hall, Safratowich, and then two wins over Pami. Other than the loss to Burroughs he's also dropped a match to Chandler.

Of the supposed struggling Iowa State guys Cyler definitely had the worst weekend of all of them dropping consecutive matches to Hall, Leen, and Burroughs the two to Leen and Burroughs both being by major. He's got wins over Reiner by major, over Chandler, and over Matt Coughlin. Then he also has the loss in the Midlands final to Bono in terms of notable matches so far.

Michael Chandler has wrestled very well so far this year save for when he got smoked by Trevor Hall 15-7. He's two wins over Erisman, and wins over McSpadden, Bowman (major), Pami, Baxter, the aformentioned win over O'Connor, Knox, Coughlin, Welch, and Johnstone. He's also got losses to Sanderson and Vallimont so far this year.

Adam Hall is looking good so far this year showing that he's handled his move up very well. He's beaten Moley, Winston, Trevor Hall, Pami, Dragon, and Sanderson. Then he's lost 1-0 to Gillespie, to Leen, and to O'Connor.

My hands are kind of tired so I might take a break for a while after this halfway point. 165 was interesting to do. I settled on the 8 AA's pretty quickly but other than picking the champion putting 2-8 in order was hard.

Preseason
    1. Nick Marable
    2. Mack Lewnes
    3. Stephen Dwyer
    4. Jon Reader
    5. Moza Fay
    6. Colt Sponseller
    7. Andrew Howe
    8. Brandon Mason

Midseason
    1. Mack Lewnes
    2. Colt Sponseller
    3. Moza Fay
    4. Ryan Morningstar
    5. Stephen Dwyer
    6. Jon Reader
    7. Nick Marable
    8. Andrew Howe

Lewnes has clearly established himself as the guy to beat here. After losing to Marable (who he just can't seem to beat having lost all three times they've wrestled) he's racked up quality wins and hasn't lost. He's got two wins over Sponseller (including the one by major), and then a major over Swartz, and wins over Howe, Rendos, King, Reader, and Morningstar.

This is another one of those picks with varying degrees of defensibility that I talked about. I'm well aware that the only people who see Sponseller in the finals are me, and every single Ohio State fan but whatever. He's really impressed me with the way he's cleaned up his wrestling both from last year and from earlier this year. He had the 13-9 loss to Fay at the All Star, then came back and beat him 9-6 this past weekend (in a match that I was delighted to call), he had the loss by major to Lewnes out in Vegas and while he still lost to him this weekend it had to go to overtime and to his credit he was in on shots several times through out the match. Other than those matches mentioned he also lost Marable this weekend, then has wins over the course of the year over Glasser (x2), Manuel, Dwyer, King, and Sherfey.

Fay certainly isn't huring for nice wins so far this year but I don't think he beats Lewnes, and after watching his match with Sponseller this weekend I don't think he beats Sponseller again either. His only loss other than the one to Sponseller was to Howe and Midlands but he came back and avenged that. He's also got wins over Marable, Morningstar, Manuel, and Stewart.

Morningstar is a guy that I'm still not completely sure what to make of. His matches aren't all that exciting or interesting but he's continually found ways to win matches this year against the best guys in the weight. He seems to have realized his strengths finally. Say whatever you will about the controversy in OT against Reader but Morningstar showed guts to pick up that tying TD. He's got two wins over Reader, then wins over Stewart, Brown, Garvin, Marable, Glasser and Dwyer. Then he's lost to Fay and Lewnes. As an aside Its been fun watching individuals (mostly at other places) who have called Dustin Schlatter and Jake Varner everything but children of God the past couple years defend his style as "what works for him."

Dwyer was a guy that was pretty tricky to place. He's beaten Garvin, Glasser, Sherfey, Howe (major), Manuel, and Reader having lost only to Sponseller and Morningstar. He did a great job peaking at the end of the year last year and with the Paulsons in the Nebraska room it'll be interesting to see how high Dwyer winds up placing at the end of the year.

Had Reader beaten Dwyer in their match this weekend they would have switched places in these projections as other than the loss to Dwyer, Reader's only other losses were to Morningstar. He's done a nice job putting big scores on the guys he's supposed to beat. He's got wins so far over Manuel, Howe and Sherfey (major).

Awful low on the list for my preseason National Champion but he's just having a lot of trouble putting points on the board so far this year. To his credit he's beaten both of my predicted finalists right now, and he's also beaten Smith-Bergsrud. He's got losses though to Rendos, Brown, Morningstar, Fay, and Kerr. In those five matches he's scored a grand total of 8 points. Thats problematic.

Sticking to my guns on my preseason pick of Howe to make the podium. His marquee win so far was his 14-8 win over Fay at Midlands. He's also beaten Galante, Sherfey, and Glasser. He's lost to Lewnes, Dwyer, Reader, and Fay.

Preseason
    1. Jay Borschel
    2. Steve Luke
    3. Raymond Jordan
    4. Brandon Browne
    5. Steve Anceravage
    6. Alton Lucas
    7. Mike Miller
    8. Michael Cannon

Midseason
    1. Steve Luke
    2. Jay Borschel
    3. Brandon Browne
    4. Raymond Jordan
    5. Steve Anceravage
    6. Michael Cannon
    7. Chris Henrich
    8. Quentin Wright

Steve Luke seems to have finally realized that he has one of the best shots of anyone in the country. Coming into this year he's been known as a defense first guy but since he's realized that he's got a great shot he's started to put big scores up on guys. He's got wins so far over Borschel, Trevor Perry, Miller, Anceravage, and then two wins over Browne including a pretty dominating 6-2 in in their dual. He hasn't lost.

I was kind of down on Borschel a few weeks ago but he's impressed me with his wrestling recently. While he still seems like he isn't scoring as many points as he did last year he's still finding a way to win. He's beaten Miller, Burk, Letts, Jordan, and Anceravage. He's also lost to Miller, then he has the All Star loss to Luke, and the loss to Browne this weekend on a last second TD. After losing to Dretsch at Big 10's he really peaked for NCAA's last year.

I continue to say it Brandon Browne is the quietest top 3 (top 2 right now) wrestler in the country. He's only lost so far this year to #1 Luke (x2) and he's beaten Letts, Brenner, Wright, and Borschel. Like Morningstar over Reader at the Midlands his win over Borschel this weekend was gutty.

In contrast to Borschel I was very high on Ray-J a few weeks ago and while I still like him a lot I've got to move Borschel above him given that he beat him, and I'm higher right now on Mr. Browne. He appears to have handled the move down very well. Having beaten Lucas twice, and also beaten Letts, and Rella at 174, and then beat #8 ranked (I believe) Bressler in a little sojourn back up to his old weight class.

Anceravage fill out my top 5. He did a great job helping to spur Cornell's upset of Iowa State this weekend with his big pin over Iowa State's back up, then he had a solid win over Rella. So far he's also beaten Meys, Litton, Wright, Rebertus, and Henrich (by fall). Then he had two losses this weekend to Luke, and to Borschel. He was in on what would have been a tying TD against Borschel and appeared close to the TD but made a weird decision and wound up surrendering the insurance TD to Borschel.

Cannon has handled his move up well and after watching him in his Midlands final I can see why as he is very tall. In a wholly unimportant anecdote he's also a member of the Reggie Cleveland All Stars at least for me (for the Bill Simmons fans). His team doesn't wrestle much but so far he's got two wins over Miller, and then wins over Trotman, Dergo, and Jordan.

Chris Henrich has come out and wrestled very well this year as a guy that not many had heard of before the season had started. He's got wins over Trevor Perry (11-0), Wright, Decker, and Rebertus. His only loss was the already mentioned pin to Anceravage in the Scuffle finals and that was a match that was in overtime.

Quentin Wright is my 3rd and final true freshman AA. He burst onto the scene with his upset win over Lucas in his first official match, he's also beaten Meys, and Nate Lee down at 174 and then he really impressed me this weekend when he went up to 184 and beat both Dorian Henderson, and and Anthony Biondo to help spur Penn State to two close dual wins. He's lost to Anceravage, Henrich, Letts, Brenner, and Browne.

Preseason
    1. Jake Herbert
    2. Mike Pucillo
    3. Kirk Smith
    4. Phil Keddy
    5. Dustin Kilgore
    6. Vince Jones
    7. Rocco Caponi
    8. Jerome Ward

Midseason
    1. Jake Herbert
    2. Mike Pucillo
    3. Kirk Smith
    4. Phil Keddy
    5. Dustin Kilgore
    6. Josh Patterson
    7. Louis Caputo
    8. Doug Umbehauer

Herbert has clearly established himself in my mind as the Hodge front runner thus far this year. His 15-1 decimation of Keddy in the Midlands final is arguably the most impressive performance of any wrestler in any one match this year (Metcalf's win over Caldwell is probably the only other choice). So far he's got pins over Umbehauer, Henderson, and Vince Jones. Then he has a tech fall over Ward, the already mentioned destruction of Keddy, and in his only win where he didn't get bonus points this year a win over Kilgore.

You can still just about count Pucillo's matches so far this year on one hand but he's won them all and nearly all his matches thus far have been against pretty quality guys. He's got wins over Honeycutt, Kilgore, Dolly (major), Kerber, Henderson (major), and Smith. He also looks exactly like my buddy Cags. I don't think he beats Herbert though.

I thought Smith would be a candidate for most improved wrestler of the year so far, but I don't know if I'd drop that superlative on him. He was good last year and he's good this year. He's beaten LeBlanc twice and Kilgore both by major (majored LeBlanc both times), then he's also beaten Kerber, Honeycutt, Biondo, Caputo, and Ward. The loss to Pucillo was his only one of the year so far.

It may be a slight to Keddy to pick a guy over him that he beat twice last year but I just think that Smith is the more dynamic wrestler. Both guys are strong (although Keddy is stronger) but Smith is the better technician and I think that wins him their match when they eventually wrestle. Keddy has beaten Caputo twice, then he's also beaten Patterson, Ward, Blanton, LeBlanc (major), Jones, and Kerber. The destruction by Herbert is his only loss.

Kilgore closes out my top 5 which remains the exact same from the preseason. So far he's lost to Herbert, Pucillo, and Smith and thats it. He's beaten Budi (tech), Patterson (10-4), Craig, and Caponi (23-9). His match with Pucillo impressed me as he was very aggressive despite losing. I still wonder where those two stalling calls he got hit with came from.

Josh Patterson currently leads the country in falls. He is also apparently obscure enough that even JT#1 the master of obscure wrestlers didn't know who he was until a few weeks ago. So far he has a tech and a pin over Bomberger, a pin over Craig, a pin over Barone, and a 10-0 win over Honeycutt. He's got a loss to Simaz who has since seen success at 197, and also had already mentioned losses to Keddy and Kilgore.

Caputo is another guy who's season thus far I would describe as kind of quiet despite his having spent the entire time in the top 10 and most of it in the top 5. He's beaten Kerber, Simaz, Budi, Blanton, Kissel, and Ward. He's got two losses to Keddy, and then losses to Smith and Umbehauer.

Speaking of Umbehauer it may be weird to predict him below a guy he beat right now but he just hasn't wrestled enough for me to move him up above Caputo so far. He's beaten Geisen, Caputo, Blanton, and Honeycutt. Then he's been pinned by Herbert and has a loss to Craig.

Preseason
    1. Max Askren
    2. Jake Varner
    3. Hudson Taylor
    4. Tyrel Todd
    5. Craig Brester
    6. Dallas Herbst
    7. Patrick Bond
    8. Josh Arnone

Midseason
    1. Jake Varner
    2. Max Askren
    3. Craig Brester
    4. Dallas Herbst
    5. Hudson Taylor
    6. Brandon Halsey
    7. Tyrel Todd
    8. Clayton Foster

I said it in the National Duals thread, but those eagerly awaiting Jake Varner presumably going to go back to winning 3-2 every match after the loss at Midlands so they could start bashing him again are going to be sorely disappointed. He more or less dominated every second of his match against Brester en route to winning 10-3. He was reversed but he got out quickly and then got the late TD and then a sweet transition to a crank back for back points. He also spurred Iowa State's victory over Boise State with a pin over Chriswell after Chriswell had just beaten Herbst badly. He's got the well known 13-1 win over Taylor, and then also has wins over Brandvold, Herbst and Strawn. The Midlands final to Herbst remains his only loss.

Askren is the guy that I'm still really excited to see Varner wrestle. I said Jenkins was smaller than I thought he would be, Askren is a guy who is actually bigger than I thought. He's every bit as big as Varner is. He's got two wins over Strawn, then a win over Taylor and one over Orozco. So long as he isn't wrestling people named "Dallas Herbst" he seems to be ok. The Midlands loss wasn't anywhere near the shellacking that last year's Vegas finals was but for a time it looked like it would be. He's also got a loss by fall to Logan Brown.

Brester was undefeated going into the match with Varner having really put it to pretty much everyone he's wrestled so far this year. He walked through both the Kauffman Brand and Vegas tournaments beating Brandvold, Anderson, Brown, and Starks in the process all by bonus points. He had to go to OT to beat Beatty this weekend but still came out on top.

Herbst has beaten both of my projected finalists so the argument can certainly be made that he deserves to be higher on the list right now. Other than the win over Varner and Askren he also has pins over Brent Jones, and Anderson and a major over Brown. He's got a loss to Varner in the dual in a low scoring match where he was pretty much controlled the entire time, and then the loss this weekend to Chriswell (that I unfortunately didn't see) where he appears to have been pretty thoroughly dominated.

Taylor's had some ups and some downs so far this year. He's got pins over Starks, Kennedy, and Oplinger. Then he also has an 11-0 major over Oplinger, and wins over Bradshaw and Beatty. He however has the 13-1 loss to Varner, he's been pinned by Byers and Strawn, then he's also lost to Askren and Brandvold.

Since he's come into the line up at Reno, Halsey has been wrestling very very well. In less than a month so far he has wins over Drury, Foster, Chine (major), Brent Jones (fall), and Byers. He hasn't lost.

I mentioned in my first post that I nearly dropped Tyrel Todd out of these predictions due to injury issues but like I said I couldn't find a guy that I was completely comfortable with inserting in replacement for him right now. I think Todd is strong enough and powerful enough of a wrestler to where he can win off of just strength and guile. He won't be the dominator though that he would be expected to be when healthy though. So far he's beaten Kennedy and Anderson, and then he has a loss this weekend to Simaz.

Seems like an awful long time for a first AA for John Smith (and he does have possibilities down low with Obe, Parks, and Mason) but Foster is really the first guy in his line up that I feel good about picking. So far he's beaten Strawn (fall), Kennedy (major), Brent Jones (major), Lapotsky, and Bradshaw. His loss to Halsey at Reno is his only one thus far.

Preseason
    1. Scott Steele
    2. Jared Rosholt
    3. Kyle Massey
    4. David Zabriskie
    5. Mark Ellis
    6. Dan Erekson
    7. John Wise
    8. Zach Hammond

Midseason
    1. Jared Rosholt
    2. David Zabriskie
    3. Mark Ellis
    4. Kyle Massey
    5. Zach Shaeffer
    6. Konrad Dudziak
    7. Dan Erekson
    8. Jermail Porter

Rosholt has definitively established himself as the heavyweight to beat so far this year through that tried and true heavyweight formula. Be big (and he's gotten significantly bigger since his redshirt freshman year) and know how to actually wrestle. He's undefeated (although some believe Dudziak beat him at Reno, Rosholt still got the arm raised). He's beaten Massey, Ellis, Rey, Fernandez, Monteiro (major), Dudziak, Berhow, Trice, and Fendone.

Z continues to be one of the best heavys in the country despite still being one of the smallest. He did lose to another small guy this weekend in Tucker Lane after getting put to his back, he nearly came back but just didn't quite have enough time. Then he also has the loss to Dom Bradley at Midlands which he avenged later in the tournament. He's got two wins over Erekson, and other wins over Massey, Trice, and Brantley.

Ellis seems to be significantly more consistent this year, whether or not he has enough to beat the boys above him though reamins to be seen. He's already lost to Rosholt but thats his only one so far. He's beaten Wise, Monteiro, Brantley, Trice, Goff, and Shaeffer. His mat wrestling is something that gives him an advantage against a lot of people.

Massey seems to have had a rough go so far this year in tournament format having lost to Monteiro out in Vegas, and to Goff and Brantley at Midlands. Then he's also been beaten by Rosholt, Zabriskie, and in arguably the upset of the D1 tournament this weekend by Ben Berhow. He also does have wins over Dobies, Morrison (fall), Lane, Tamillow, and a fall over Brantley.

In another example of my fickleness I might project Shaeffer higher if his team didn't persist in wearing uncomfortably white singlets. He's beaten Rey, McLean (fall), Lane, Morrison (11-0), and Erekson. He's been beaten by Monteiro, Ellis, and Wise.

Dudziak has already beaten my preseason champion twice this year, and as I mentioned some people think he's beaten my midseason champion as well. Other than the loss to Rosholt he's also been beaten by Porter. He's got the two wins over Steele and he also has a win over Monteiro.

Erekson has handled his move up so far this year very well. He's really tough on top and he definitely showed that when he pinned to clinch the win in the duals finals this weekend. He's also beaten Nye, Bradley, Goff, Berhow, and Lane. He's got the two losses to Zabriskie and he's also lost to Brantley and Shaeffer. He's started to look a lot better from neutral this weekend and with his toughness on top he definitely has a shot to finish higher if he can continue to get used to wrestling heavys on the feet.

Pardon the cliche but I guess I'm predicting a big finish for quite possibly the biggest wrestler in the entire country. Porter is massive. He's got wins so far this year over Fernandez, Dudziak, Morrison, and Rey. His lone loss thus far is to Joe Fendone.
    Last edited by Schlottke; 01-18-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Combined your article into the first post for easy reading.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Post National Duals Reflections/Detailed AA Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I said when I banged out a quick set of predictions in JT's thread a few weeks ago that I like to wait until after National Duals and then try and make a detailed set.

Much like my ones in the preseason I did my best to utilize results in putting these together but some of the picks have varying degrees of defensibility.

Angel Escobedo, Joe Baker, Brandon Rader, and Scott Steele aren't going to be in these projections, I nearly dropped Tyrel Todd completely out but I couldn't find an eighth guy that I was comfortable with over him.

I'm well aware of how good the previous four guys are, but with their injury situations and the effect that it may or may not wind up having on their wrestling I didn't put them in. Wouldn't shock me at all to see them turn it up in the second half if and when they come back.
    Apparently we have different definitions of "detailed."
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Blog Entries

I've got the predictions written out, but the "narrative" as it were for each weight class has still yet to be created.

Preseason
    1. Troy Nickerson
    2. Angel Escobedo
    3. Charlie Falck
    4. Paul Donahoe
    5. Brandon Precin
    6. Anthony Robles
    7. Zach Sanders
    8. Nikko Triggas

Midseason
    1. Troy Nickerson
    2. Charlie Falck
    3. Paul Donahoe
    4. Brandon Precin
    5. Zach Sanders
    6. Scott Sentes
    7. Tyler Clark
    8. Anthony Robles

Nickerson had a nice first weekend back at National Duals after he finally made it back down to 125 picking up wins over Triggas (2-0), and Clark (4-2). He looked a little rusty on his feet but his mat work was still top notch as he rode Triggas and Krutsinger hard in the matches that I saw. If he's able to keep himself healthy and in the line up I think his neutral stuff comes along. He kind of had the same problem as a sophomore in terms of rustiness. He was out, came back lost to McKnight in a low scoring match, was in and out of the line up for the rest of the season then got beat by Eveleth in the conference finals, then won his matches tight in the bracket at NCAA's before getting upset by Donahoe.

I've been referring to Charlie Falck with the Denny Green "he is who we think he is" phrase for a while this season and I think it still fits. Save for the Sentes match he's looked great through out the season and he still found a way to win against Sentes. He's got other wins over Nicholson, Robles, and Clark.

Donahoe may arguably have looked the most impressive out of any 125 pounder so far and now that he's back in the line up and ranked #1 he's definitely a favorite to possibly win a second title. He's got bonus point wins over Triggas, Peterkin, and Blanc. Then other wins over Precin, Bedelyon, and Matt Fisk up at 133.

Precin still doesn't blow guys out that much but he remains a tough methodical wrestler who just doesn't lose much if at all. He's only got one loss this year to Donahoe. He's got wins over Pataky by major, Bedelyon, Orozco, Kjar, and Clark.

Sanders has had a great start to the year and he was a guy that I was very impressed with after I watched him this weekend. He didn't wrestle anyone really cream of the crop but he took care of business in all 5 of his matches. One of the most active guys in the country. He's got 1 loss to Peterkin in the Vegas final in a match that he got down in early and was mounting a comeback in. He has wins over Mustari, Zoetewey, Orozco (major), Robles, Blanc, Pataky (fall), and Triggas. The Pataky match really impressed me, going down by two TD's quickly to a guy he'd lost to in the past (albeit in freestyle) and then came back and absolutely destroyed him.

Sentes is in the argument for best true freshman. He's arguably been most impressive in a match that he actually lost the aformentioned pin against Falck. Had he not rushed a shot to try and get a major and either taken his time or even just stalled for 45 seconds he'd have won that going away. He's got two wins over Nicholson, a fall over Bedelyon, and other wins over Fio, Ashmore, and Blanc.

Clark is a guy that really surprised me coming into the year. He's a guy kind of like Precin that isn't really overwhelming in his matches but he again just wins. He's beaten Robles twice, and then this weekend he beat Escobedo and Owen. He's got tight losses to Falck, Precin, and Nickerson.

Robles seems to have been figured out a little bit from the feet against some of the top guys looking at his losses against Clark, Sanders, and his teammate Ashmore. There are few guys who can run a score up like him though. He's got techfalls over Garnett, Zoetewey, and Kjar, then a fall over Orozco, and a 7 point win over Blanc.
    Last edited by JensenS; 01-14-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Preseason
    1. Jayson Ness
    2. Joey Slaton
    3. Franklin Gomez
    4. Lou Ruggirello
    5. Nick Fanthorpe
    6. Jimmy Kennedy
    7. Andrew Hochstrasser
    8. Joe Baker

Midseason
    1. Jayson Ness
    2. Franklin Gomez
    3. Jimmy Kennedy
    4. Daniel Dennis
    5. Reece Humphrey
    6. Andrew Hochstrasser
    7. Mike Grey
    8. Nick Fanthorpe

When I mentioned predictions that had varying degrees of defensibility my champion for this weight was one of them. I said in my preseason predictions that I didn't think Ness would miss a beat, he quite obviously has at the very least against the best of the best. Against the non best of the best he still tends to pin everyone, but his win over Strayer this weekend was probably his marquee win of the year. He's got losses to Kennedy, Hochstrasser, Dennis, and Humphrey.

While he hasn't wrestled that much this year there is still only one person who has beaten Franklin Gomez in a folkstyle match at 133 pounds. Thats Joey Slaton and Slaton isn't wrestling this year. Gomez's best win thus far is against Connor Beebe 11-4 which is a bigger gap than I believe anyone else on this list has put on Beebe this year.

With his early season wins over Ness and Hochstrasser, Kennedy looked like he might be a threat to run away with this weight class. His only loss thus far is the OT match at Midlands against Dennis and he managed to follow that up with a quality win over Steve Bell.

Dennis has been great since Midlands having knocked off Kennedy, Fanthorpe and Ness. He's one of the best handfighters in the country. The way he dominates tie ups is really just phenomenal. He runs into a problem sometimes when he does that though and its how he's lost both his matches. He pushed Bell and Grey all over the place in both losses but he just didn't shoot or half shoot enough. He was more offensive against Grey than against Bell but he still didn't do enough.

I still kind of worry about Humphrey's ability to keep it together against the best guys over a three day span given the fact that he's probably the biggest 133 pounder in the country but DAMN was he impressive this weekend. He put the worst beating on Mike Grey that I've seen put on him in college, he beat Hochstrasser, and then beat Ness. Then he has other wins over Deubel and Mitcheff. Only has the one loss to Baker at the All Star.

Seeing Hochstrasser do so well thus far this year makes me feel pretty good since I predicted him to AA coming into the year. He's got a loss to Kennedy in the Vegas final, and then the one to Humphrey this weekend. He also beat Strayer and Fanthorpe this weekend as well. He's got the win over Ness in Vegas where he very impressively rallied from a 4-0 deficit, and then has also beaten Fisk, Deubel, Mitcheff, and Bell.

Now that Grey has made it back down to 133 he should gradually work his way back up the rankings and remind everyone why he was ranked as high as #2 last year. Humphrey put it to him as said this weekend but he rallied off that with consecutive wins over Fanthorpe and Dennis. He lit up his opponents at the Scuffle before losing to Deubel but he rallied off that with a win over Mitcheff.

Like quite a few of his teammates Fanthorpe is having kind of a rough go right now against top flight guys losing this weekend to the two gentlemen I have listed directly above him. Then he also has the loss at Midlands to Dennis. Not all bad though, he's got the demolition of Slaton at CHA, and then a major over Schavrien and a win over Bell on his record so far this year.

Blog Entries

Preseason
    1. Nick Gallick
    2. J. Jaggers
    3. Kellen Russell
    4. Mike Grey
    5. Brandon Rader
    6. Cody Cleveland
    7. Keith Sulzer
    8. Dan LeClere

Midseason
    1. Kellen Russell
    2. Nick Gallick
    3. Alex Tsirtsis
    4. Corey Jantzen
    5. Zach Tanelli
    6. Chris Drouin
    7. J. Jaggers
    8. Mike Thorn

Kellen Russell has had kind of a quiet season this year in contrast to last year where he sprung onto the scene and was #1 for most of it en route to winning Big 10's. He's got a loss by fall to Rappo this year, and then a loss by major to Nauman. He's got wins over Ciasulli, a tech over Prater, a major over Jon Burns, and then assorted wins over Thorn, Diaz, Kruger, Washington, and Molinaro.

Gallick most impressed me during his run through Midlands to take 3rd after he got knocked off in the first round by Gutnik. He's still having some struggles taking guys down but he got better at picking TD's up as the season went along last year, and his mat work is still top notch. He's also lost to Tanelli, and Tsirtsis. Then he has wins over Jaggers, Mooney, Cleveland, Drouin, Hoehn, Hernandez and Fish.

Tsirtsis back from the dead after his redshirt year. With wins over Drouin, Kruger, Gallick, Krom, Washington, Hoehn, Drouin, and Thorn. He's only got the one loss to Tanelli in the Midlands final. He seems more polished and more refined this year than he was in years past, he still can be ridden though. That may come back and bite him.

Jantzen has a distinction of having won the weirdest single tournament weight class ever, that being Vegas' 141 bracket where everyone beat everyone. He's got one loss this year, like Tsirtsis its to Tanelli. He's got falls over Bencivenga, Drouin, and Thorn. Then he has other wins over Jaggers, Nauman, and Novachkov.

It may look a little weird to have Tanelli down here to some when as I've mentioned he's handed the two guys ranked above him their only losses of the year. He's lost several times though losing to Nauman and Thorn out in Vegas, and then getting pinned by Washington soon after. He's beaten Ramirez, Gallick, Hutchinson, Jantzen, Tsirtsis, and Thorn.

Another guy having a pretty quiet season thus far is Drouin. He's got two losses to Tsirtsis, a loss to Gallick, the earlier mentioned loss by fall to Jantzen, and a loss to Diaz. He's also beaten Diaz, and he also has wins over Ciasulli, Parks, Thorn, and Ryan Williams.

While Jaggers certainly didn't get off to the start he wanted to this year I think his 5-0 mark at National Duals this weekend may be the sign of him starting to turn things around. In the matches I watched he had started to take guys down with his own shots, and in watching Jaggers thats really when you can tell that he's really cooking. He's lost to Gallick, Jantzen, Webster, Thorn, and Lashaway. He now has wins though over Washington, Hoehn, Cory Fish, and Thorn. I don't think he's going to put the run together to win this weight again like he did last year but if his weight is right he should AA again.

As a Minnesota fan Thorn has been a really pleasant surprise this year. Very much improved over the guy who was starting at 133 a few years ago. He's strong and he's become very well rounded. He's got 3 wins over Gabe Mooney, and then wins over Cleveland, Jaggers, Novachkov, and a fall over Molinaro in a match that he utterly dominated. He's picked up quite a few losses this year to Prater, Russell, Drouin, Parks, Jantzen, Tsirtsis, Tanelli, and Jaggers but those guys aren't exactly chopped liver. He's wrestled 30 matches already and will have more against tough competition so it'll be interesting to see how he holds up the rest of the way.

Blog Entries

How dare you not predict alex tsirtsis to win the most unpredictable weight in history!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

Blog Entries

Preseason
    1. Brent Metcalf
    2. Bubba Jenkins
    3. Jordan Burroughs
    4. Darrion Caldwell
    5. Lance Palmer
    6. Matt Kyler
    7. Cesar Grajales
    8. Kyle Ruschell

Midseason
    1. Brent Metcalf
    2. Bubba Jenkins
    3. Darrion Caldwell
    4. Lance Palmer
    5. Bryce Saddoris
    6. Kyle Ruschell
    7. Steve Brown
    8. Matt Kyler

Like I said in the preseason predictions, its foolish to put anyone but Metcalf on top of this weight class right now. It was interesting to watch him struggle turning guys this year. Whether he turns guys or not will probably wind up having little effect since he's so good offensively and defensively from his feet and no one has been able to effectively ride him since Patacsil in the Midlands final last year. So far he's got the 19-3 tech over Caldwell this year, he's got the two decision wins over Brown, then he's got the major over Ruschell, and the tech over Mueller.

One thing that struck me in watching Bubba this weekend is that he's a lot smaller than I thought he would be. Another thing is that he's got something wrong with his right shoulder as he immediately began icing it down at the conclusion of his matches. Thats going to probably cause problems given thats his lead arm and the arm that he clamps the front headlock on with when he looks to hit his cement mixer. Like Metcalf he has not lost this year, he's got wins over Balum, a pin over Torsten Gillespie, a major over Saddoris, a win over Chinn, and then a win this weekend over Jason Chamberlain.

Caldwell's most memorable match this year has bene the tech fall loss in the All Star to Metcalf but in watching the match I wonder how a future match up goes if Caldwell doesn't dig himself into the early hole. He's very well rounded he's got big moves, he can wrestle guys straight up, and he's very tough on the mat. He's got two wins over Palmer so far this year, a pin over Saddoris, and then wins over Tirapelle, Ruschell, Chinn, and Grajales.

Palmer rounds out the top 4 here at this weight that I think are really a cut above the rest of the weight. His only losses so far this year are to Caldwell. Then he has wins over Kyler, Ruschell, Gillespie, and Chamberlain. He may remain as the guy at the weight with the best shot at Metcalf given that he's strong enough to handfight with him. If he wants to win that match he's going to have to find a way to break Metcalf down and get his legs in. I don't think he would pin Metcalf but thats a way for him to try and grind on Metcalf and to shorten the match.

I think Saddoris has been the first guy to stick in the #5 spot at this weight for more than a week. He's got wins over Patacsil, two wins over Roberts, Gillespie, and Grajales. He's given up bonus points in his two losses against Jenkins and Caldwell but that only puts him in a pretty large group of guys that have given up bonuses to those two.

Ruschell has handled the move up to 149 very well so far this year. His marquee win so far this year would be his pin over Patacsil in the Midlands final, then he has wins over Balum, Heinrich Barnes (14-2), two wins over Jason Chamberlain, then wins over Chinn and Borshoff. He has also lost to Patacsil, and then he's been beaten by Caldwell, Palmer, and Metcalf too.

Brown came kind of out of no where at Brockport after coming down from wrestling at 157 last year in beating Will Rowe and Kyler. He's still probably best known this year as "that dude that Metcalf can't major" having dropped the two decisions to him. He's also got two one point losses to Kyle Borshoff who I assume he doesn't match up well with. He's also got wins over Mueller, and Chinn.

Kyler has been kind of quiet thus far, but like Ruschell I think the move up this year has treated him pretty well. He's beaten Gillespie (10-0), Terry and then Tirapelle and Yates both by fall. He's lost to Brown, Chamberlain, Palmer, and Patacsil, but he had quite a few losses last year and managed to peak at the end and pull off the AA. I still think he does it again this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    How dare you not predict alex tsirtsis to win the most unpredictable weight in history!!!!!!!!!!!
    If he wasn't rocking the pretty boy hairstyle that he has I'd have probably picked him at least to make the finals.

True story.

Blog Entries

Ruschell lost to Metcalf in the Midlands semis, he beat PTAX in the semis.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

user tags