Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma State's schedule

Default Re: Oklahoma State's schedule

That would be a real bummer if Missouri lost it's wrestling program!

Couldn't Missouri be in the SEC for sports other than wrestling and join another conference just for wrestling? Notre Dame is in the Big East in BB and Independant in football and other schools are DI for some sports and DII in others. So, it has been done. Just wondering if the AD would even consider it when it's a sport like wrestling.

I dont think we can take the safety of any program for granted these days, but I feel like Smith has built a strong program and I have a hard time picturing it being dropped. I've gotten the impression that he is a coach who has really gone out of his way to raise fan interest in the program. I remember watching some B12 duals a year or two ago on the Mizzouri package and they brought in Casper and someone else to do the commentary and it was a completely packed house
    Gold is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Couldn't Missouri be in the SEC for sports other than wrestling and join another conference just for wrestling? Notre Dame is in the Big East in BB and Independant in football and other schools are DI for some sports and DII in others. So, it has been done. Just wondering if the AD would even consider it when it's a sport like wrestling.
    That's kind of what I was thinking, hopefully if Mizzou or some other schools move to a non-wrestling conference like the SEC they will be able to wrestle in a different conference/no conference and wrestle in a regional qualifier.

But of course wrestling means pretty much squat to most because it doesn't make money so I don't think many schools would turn down the bright lights of a SuperConference payday at the expense of their wrestling tradition, no matter how strong.

Obviously, no school is safe from being dropped. But I think it's a bit premature to speculate about Mizzou. Brian Smith has done a tremendous job. The last few years Mizzou has had wrestling supports wrestling dual meets where all the profits go towards endowing the program. I believe Smith also started the whole Beaty and the Beast thing which has 3000-5000 fans at it regularly. The td club seems to have a lot of members. As a Mizzou fan I have not heard about any of the sports teams being in jeopardy, but I get the point about the SEC not having wrestling.

Also, bbl, haven't done any real research, but not sure that Oklahoma can claim to be better academically than Missouri. That was one of the things that attracted the B10 to Mizzou in the first place.

Whoever gets Mizzou gets the KC and STL markets. Not a bad pick up.

Missouri is a slightly better school than OU I think and has AAU membership. I think the Big 10 would go to them first for that reason. They bring a lot of TV sets as well.

I wasn't trying to be a concern troll about Missouri dropping, but thought it was worth mentioning.

I think Big 10 would be great b/c of the Big 10 Network. It would give more exposure to their wrestling program. The only problem is that someone else would probably have to come with them. My vote would be ISU because of the natural rivalry with Iowa. It would make for a really fun Big 10 wrestling and football season.

Any rumors of that happening?

I hear ya. If it ever did happen I would be purely because somebody important doesn't like wrestling and not about the money. Alden says all the right things about wrestling in interviews, but you can never really tell. Most AD's are politically correct these days.

What I was imagining was a situation similar to what happened at UNO "to better align with our new conference." Doing a little research I see that Missouri offers every sport that the SEC has a championship in plus Wrestling and Women's Volleyball. So there wouldn't be too much cover as any sport they add would seemingly have the same disadvantage. I'm guessing were it to happen Missouri would go to the WWC. The East Regional and SoCon are jokes.