Thread: Coaching and the Worlds/Olympics

Default Coaching and the Worlds/Olympics

I was listening to Takedown Radio on Saturday morning while driving back to my hometown for a fantasy football draft. It is a very good program and I recomend that everyone listen to it online at 9am central on KXNO every Saturday mornings or go to the Takedown Radio web site and listen to it there. I think they archive the shows so you can listen to them "not live".

Anyways. Travis Paulson was one of the guests. Very good guest. Scott asked him what his main goal was as an assistant at ISU. His answer intrigued me. He said his number one goal was to make the Olympic team and bring home a medal. I found his answer interesting because I was waiting for some sort of team oriented answer.

I know there are upsides to recruiting when you have olympic and world team members on staff but should that really the number one goal for an assistant coach? I don't know. What do you think?

Go to takedown radio and listen to the show if you have a couple of hours to spare. Off the top of my head I can remember Travis Paulson, Jim Zalesky, the co author of the MMA Ref's book (sorry don't know his name) and the Brandon Head Coach. All were great guests.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Default Re: Coaching and the Worlds/Olympics

Herkey I rarely get a chance to listen live but I ALWAYS pick it up later in the week off their website. They do a very good job of archiving the show so that people can go back and stream it at their convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Interesting Herk, I feel like as an assistant coach his #1 goal should be to bring an NCAA team title to ISU and as many individual NCAA titles and medals to the team he is coaching as possible. I see where he is coming from and maybe it's the competitor inside of him and the honesty I appreciate BUT it almost seems like he's just "using" ISU to try to achieve his goals rather than being committed to ISU and trying to help as an assistant to make them better and as successful as possible.

Does anyone remember or seen the interview with Dan Gable after he won the Olympics? He got off the plane in America and someone asked him about the tone and what it was like in Munich. They were talking about the hostage situation. He gave a wrestling answer. He was criticized for that, but when you hear him explain it, he honestly just took the question wrong. Maybe that's the case here. At least I hope so.

Probably one of those situations where Paulson needs a job to keep training, and ISU needs a tough practice partner to wrestle live withtheir athletes. It's not ideal for anyone, since ISU gets someone who isn't focused on coaching, and Paulson gets to wrestle fokstyle with college kids instead of training freestyle with world-level contenders. But such is life when your collegiate and post-collegiate athletes wrestle in two different styles.

PS is Travis healed up again? He didn't compete since last year's worlds, had knee surgery or something.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    PS is Travis healed up again? He didn't compete since last year's worlds, had knee surgery or something.
    I think Travis is healed. He had been trying to get a wrestle off since he was the World team member the previous year but they wouldnt let him for some reason. He actually corrected Scott when he used the word former when describing him as a world team member. He said he hadn't been beaten out yet so he felt like he should still have a shot to be on the team. Cant say I entirely disagree with him.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Hope he makes it. Either way, having a current top Freestyle guy associated with the program is a positive in recruiting. Having him there with Coach Jackson is good all the way around. Does make it difficult for a kid to decide though, in Iowa alone. Which school to choose among the world and NCAA Titles in the room?