Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is going to underachieve next year?

Default Re: Who is going to underachieve next year?

Amu seems to save his best efforts for the NCAA finals..Each of the previous years he has shown up rather unheralded and just amazed people .he may be the smartest wrestler in america.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by prill View Post
    Logan Steiber will win the Hodge.
    Fixed it for you

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Ed "Baby" Ruth
    I can understand why you might think of Ruth. He does seem a bit lackadaisical (sp?) at times, and often saves his best efforts for his toughest opponents. But I think he will do very well this year (I predict NCAA champ)--the atmosphere on that team will help him put out his best, which is pretty awesome when he's hitting on all cylinders.

Tom, I would agree with you i.e. the atmoshere on the team, for last year. I think everyone was gelling and it catipulted a guy like Ruth to overachieve. This year will be different. Those guys have all been through it before and the "newness" will have wore off. I don't think you'll see as much fist pumping as gas pumping this year. Sometimes its referred to as a sophomore slump and it seems to have started in the offseason this year for PSU.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Herkey--you could be right. The psychological intangible of sports is a huge factor, and this past season PSU had it going for them (except for the Iowa match : ( But Ruth has shown that he has all the tools necessary if he's wrestling all-out. Granted he has at times not looked like he was fully trying, but he had very few close bouts. Even the times when it looked like he was coasting a bit, it was in not getting a major he should have gotten. None of us know, and you may be right. But I think Ruth is going to be even better this year. When he's wrestling all out, he's pretty awesome.

I agree with you that when he goes he's pretty damn good. Should be fun to watch him and and Evans. I say Evans because I hope Lofthouse trys to get to 65. If Mike has a year like Ruth did last year I will be very happy.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    Morrison never struck me as having gas tank issues and I watch all of OSU's home matches. Parks has one and he also won't shoot. Part of the reason Morrison choked was his staph infection right before B12's
    Fair enough. I do stick by my predicition. I remember his match with Sanders and that day it was obviouse his gas tank was empty (yes, I know he won). Combine that with seeing him wrestle late in the season not knowing he had a staph infection led me to believe his tank was an ongoing issues. I see 7th, 8th or round of 12 for him this season. Not the runner-up finish I see and hear people prediciting.

Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy1979 View Post
    Fair enough. I do stick by my predicition. I remember his match with Sanders and that day it was obviouse his gas tank was empty (yes, I know he won). Combine that with seeing him wrestle late in the season not knowing he had a staph infection led me to believe his tank was an ongoing issues. I see 7th, 8th or round of 12 for him this season. Not the runner-up finish I see and hear people prediciting.
    I think evaluating gas tank issues can be tricky. Some people have genuine problems with their conditioning--Parks would seem to be an example. For other people it can be isolated and related to certain circumstances. For PSU this past year Molinaro seemed to gas against Zilverburg and A Alton against Marion. Yet overall both seemed to be in good condition normally. Sometimes it's other factors that come into play; overhype for a match (like A Alton), excessive/rapid weight cutting (it would seem that Dake was an example of that at times) and health issues. I really don't know what happend to Molinaro against Zilverburg, but blessedly it didn't return in the Big 10's! Dake seemed to be at his strongest in the NCAA finals when he had the longest time between weigh-in and the actual match.

I had forgotten about Molinaro's performance against Zilverburg. It was a bizarre match (for him) where he definitely ran out. Maybe he had to pump his own gas before that match.