Thread: Chris Phillips Leaving the Sport

Default Chris Phillips Leaving the Sport

Sounds like he's done wrestling and will be leaving NC State. No story or anything official, just what I've heard from people who seem to know what they're talking about.

Sad to see such a talent go, but I respect him for making the decision if his heart simply isn't in it.

Doubly sad for me because it's a great talent out of the ACC.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: Chris Phillips Leaving the Sport

Looks like the people who had been saying he was no longer into it his past couple years of HS were on to somthing.

Wow. I agree, it's better when people walk away rather than go through the paces with no joy. What a talent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Factory51 View Post
    Looks like the people who had been saying he was no longer into it his past couple years of HS were on to somthing.
    That sums it up pretty well.

Like vais says though, its always unfortunate when we lose such a great talent from the sport.

Tough blow for NC State.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

I know that there is nothing wrong with his decision and it is certainly his perogative, it is also a choice I respect a great deal more than, say, Lehigh's Craig, who I believe would have done everyone a service simply to be honest and hang it up (then again he was probably hanging on to scholarship money, so what do I know).

That being said, is there any way to magically drain his talent and inject it into my unborn child? Can scientists/wizards get on that?

I have watched Chris Phillips for 4 years at the state tournament and got the impression that he was burnt out. I remember asking Gold what his deal was this year, even though he won his 4th state championship in one of the toughest HS states in America. So I am not suprised by this, but I do have a question that others probably know more about than me.

Has there ever been a case where a kid is burnt out and decides he doesn't want to wrestle anymore and quits. Then, 1 or 2 years later gets the itch back and decides to go ahead and wrestle from there? I don't know of any, but I know less about college wrestling than most people here, so.......would it be unprecidented for him to take a few years off and then get the hunger back? Has it ever happened? He's such a great talent, I would hate to see him throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I have watched Chris Phillips for 4 years at the state tournament and got the impression that he was burnt out. I remember asking Gold what his deal was this year, even though he won his 4th state championship in one of the toughest HS states in America. So I am not suprised by this, but I do have a question that others probably know more about than me.

Has there ever been a case where a kid is burnt out and decides he doesn't want to wrestle anymore and quits. Then, 1 or 2 years later gets the itch back and decides to go ahead and wrestle from there? I don't know of any, but I know less about college wrestling than most people here, so.......would it be unprecidented for him to take a few years off and then get the hunger back? Has it ever happened? He's such a great talent, I would hate to see him throw it away.
    I can't give an example from wrestling. But Andre Agassi in tennis would be an example from another sport. He "retired" from tennis for a year or two and actually had his best years at the end of his career when he was really competing from his own desire.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post

I see it a lot in High School, happened to my team my Junior year, we went from good to bad to great when a lot of the seniors decided to come back. I personally have a friend who got an offer to wrestle in college, turned it down cause he was burnt out, then after coaching his younger brother to the state finals got back in touch with the team and joined them.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth