Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Jacob Schlottke

Default Re: RIP Jacob Schlottke

Really nice blog by Jason Bryant about Jacob... Bryant Blog: Jacob Schlottke passes away

Stunning, sad news, especially for those of us who had no idea of his off-the-mat battle. Jacob did so much to promote the sport and make it easy for participants and fans to communicate and share.

My heart goes out to his wife, his family, his friends.

RIP, Jacob.

You had many fans.

Mark, great point. I had absolutely no idea until stumbling across this thread this afternoon that he had been fighting any sort of battle, and I had been looking (ironically, last night) at what I believe is the recognitions section of the board, and of the six I had, four of them came from him! Amazing that, just 24 hours later, I'd be typing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I don't know whether to stand in awe or fear at the significance of a passing moment. One moment we're breathing in a common air. The next, some of stop while the rest of us take another breath.

I don't expect the death of a person I've only met over the internet to affect me much. People I've met several times and, sad as it is, it doesn't cause me much thought. Alas, here I sit, affected.

I've always found Schlottke to be an incredibly interesting guy. Here's a guy who was a bonafide stud in high school. Beat Ben Askren numerous times and took Zach Esposito to the brink of defeat on a national stage. Good enough to earn a full scholarship to Arizona State, and then he ends up not competing collegiately. We hear that about a typical wrestler and just assume that they drink too much their first year, can't keep their grades up and just kind of wash out. And maybe some of that is true about Schlottke, I really have no idea.

But that's certainly not the end of his story. He starts an internet marketing company and ends up named one of the top 25 entrepreneurs in the nation under the age of 25. The guy moves to Hawaii and various other locations, seemingly at his leisure (at least that's how it looks from the outside). He offers to host and develop TheWrestlingTalk for JensenS and ends up turning it in to one of the biggest and most trafficked wrestling sites on the web, as well as the place where so many of us enjoy discussions. Then I find out that this successful businessman and great wrestler is deathly ill at a terribly young age. Maybe that's part of the reason he's been in my head all day.

Maybe it's just that I really enjoyed talking with him on here, and that he was kind to me.

I don't know where he was spiritually, but I hope he's with the Lord and know he and his family are in my prayers.

Miss you Schlottke.
    Ben, that's easily your best post ever on this site. I agree with everything you've said, and I've been on the verge of tears whenever I've thought of Jacob's passing today. Sometimes life is just unfair.

Haven't been to this site in months, and this is what I see when I come back. Truly horrible news. You will be missed Jacob. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Ben, that's easily your best post ever on this site. I agree with everything you've said, and I've been on the verge of tears whenever I've thought of Jacob's passing today. Sometimes life is just unfair.
    FTN--I was really touched by Gold's post as well. As with most of the others here, I never met Jake (I only knew him as Schlottke) but I was always interested when I saw he posted something. Sometimes some of our posts go a little over the top and he would periodically step in to keep us in line. Someone else will need to step up in his place as I really appreciated his doing so. Agree with Gold's last line as well and he and his family are in my prayers as well.

JensenS, I just listened to you on Takedown Radio. You and Scott did a really nice job memorializing Jacob.

It seems as if I'm not the only person in this boat, but I cannot help to be affected by the passing of someone I've never met in person. I've talked to him a couple of times on this site and that's it. Like Tom, whenever I saw that Schlottke had posted something in a thread I knew it was something of substance because he didnt post much. I always made it a point to see what he said. By all accounts he was a great person and the wrestling community has lost someone who has helped bring the greatest sport in the world to many more people. For that I will always be thankful to him and to JensenS.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    JensenS, I just listened to you on Takedown Radio. You and Scott did a really nice job memorializing Jacob.

It seems as if I'm not the only person in this boat, but I cannot help to be affected by the passing of someone I've never met in person. I've talked to him a couple of times on this site and that's it. Like Tom, whenever I saw that Schlottke had posted something in a thread I knew it was something of substance because he didnt post much. I always made it a point to see what he said. By all accounts he was a great person and the wrestling community has lost someone who has helped bring the greatest sport in the world to many more people. For that I will always be thankful to him and to JensenS.
    link to interview?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.