Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Ryan talks Summer Development, Possible Lineup

Default Re: Tom Ryan talks Summer Development, Possible Lineup

B1G is a pretty interesting place for wrestling in the post-gable era. JRob stepped it up, Illinois then tOSU got Ryan to turn around a doormat & even Iowa had to shift gears. With the arrival of Cael another round is happening & we can see Michigan upgrading, in this video Ryan stepping it mentioning other schools that are doing the same & that his #1 class is no gimme. With Wisconsin, Nebraska & Northwesten recruiting well over th past few years the competition is sure to get better. Now id the B1G could export this to the rest of the country it would be truly great for the sport.

Any other teams in recent memory start four true freshmen?

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Any other teams in recent memory start four true freshmen?
    No other team has been so desperate.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    They will gain valuable experience in not only wrestling, but travel and cutting weight. I feel it's a good move b/c you can redshirt them later with that experience in their back pocket. The only bad thing about this that they will all win more than anyone thought and it will be hard to redshirt them. I got the Bucks in the top 5 with this lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I pretty much agree with this. They will be tremendously improved from last year, but I wish they would show a little more restraint.

Why not move the experienced Paddock to 141 and let Hunter Steiber redshirt?

They are giving Paddock a year to let his body heal, get bigger and prepare for 141 the following year. The way they are doing it also allows all three of them (Paddock, Tessari, and Hunter) to start for 4 years, assuming no injuries, etc. I think you will see a configuration like this over the next three years:

2011/12: Hunter & Tessari start, Paddock redshirts
    2012/13: Paddock & Tessari start, Hunter redshirts
    2013/14: Paddock & Hunter start, Tessari redshirts

Hunter and Tessari could switch redshirt years, but it's more or less the same.

For the record, I am entirely in favor of redshirting Hunter this year. He looks to me like a kid who earn dividends by spending a year lifting and getting comfortable at a higher weight.

I was really hoping Tessari and or Steiber would redshirt. They have enough "bodies" with Fee and Languis to field a respectable team even without those two. Feels to me like Ryan is hoping he has a bunch of Lance Palmer type competitors or hes hoping but I think hes jumping the gun with both. A year to lift and mature would do wonders for Cam and Hunter. As for the rest of the team I'm hoping Dijulius makes 25 as I see him a 5-7 type B10 finisher 33 Sky is the limit(minus Oliver I'm afraid)41 we're jumping the gun escpecially with the talent through the B10
    49 Cam just doesn't seem big enough 57 Demas 3-6 in B10 65 Garcia is the Biggest ? in my mind but I hear hes a stud just don't know anything about him 74 is a bright spot Hef will be a top 6 NCAA guy 84 Magrum is due and has the ability 97 I'm wishing for that redshirt again with Camp HWT Hopefully he qualifies and stays respectable in duals
    I expect a 4-7 big ten placement and squeak in the top 20 at NCAA's with 3 AA and 5 point scorers to some degree

I agree with RD-in the big 10 141 could produce 4-5 AA's..this line up (in another conference) would be dominant-the big 10(12) demands more.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.