Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zapp's Dueling 2011/2012 Summer All American Picks All Weights Posted

Default Re: Zapp's Dueling 2011/2012 Summer All American Picks 133 Posted

Anyone remember when Nate Moore beat Scottie Sentes?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

1. Montell Marion, Iowa
    2. Boris Novachkov, Cal Poly
    3. Kellen Russell, Michigan
    4. Andrew Alton, Penn State
    5. Josh Kindig, Oklahoma State
    6. Michael Mangrum, Oregon State
    7. Matt Mariacher, American
    8. Kendrick Maple, Oklahoma

Round of 12: Cole Von Ohlen, Air Force; Stephen Dutton, Lehigh; Nick Dardanes, Minnesota; Tyler Nauman, Pitt

Oh no he din't!!!! Yes, ladies, he did. Montell Marion is going to be the NCAA champion at this weight class provided he doesn't break his leg or a statute. Physically, he's the most athletic wrestler. His technique is second to nobody at this weight class. His biggest issue is his mat awareness, and I think the fact that (crosses finger) he has the entire off-season and the entire season to truly work with Brands and Co., he'll finally iron out those kinks. He had NCAA champion Kellen Russell dead to rights both times they wrestled and lost it on just bad mat awareness and a somewhat controversial call, respectively.

Boris Novachkov just can't get no respect. I think I'm the only person outside of the Pac 10 who put Boris into the Finals at NCAA's last year, and there he was. In some ways, it's understandable. Boris isn't the flashiest wrestler in the world. He's just solid. Tough to score on, Boris' leg defense is pretty impressive to behold, especially considering he was moving up to 141 after being a not terribly big 133 lber the season before. His technique is usually pretty simple stuff, but it's also extremely sound and, yes, solid. He was razor close with Russell last year, and I think he beats him this year. Both Novachkov and Marion have the advantage going into the season of knowing what adjustments to make, while Kellen has to kind of react to what they do.

Many will probably feel I'm being unfair to the defending NCAA champion, but eventually that style of keeping it THAT close is going to catch up to him (although it could be fairly argued the same for Novachkov). Incredible gyro or no, though, he lets guys get too close for it not to eventually bite him in the ass. Russell's technique is sound, but he's primarily a counterwrestler. Probably one of the top 2-3 hardest guys to score on in the country. I think the gap between these top 3 and the rest is decent.

But Zapp! Andrew Alton is redshirting! Well phooey on that, I say. Penn State is looking to create an era, and I think they need Andrew Alton to keep that up. He's by far their most talented guy at the weight, I think he takes a step forward next year and maybe even knocks off one of these top 3 guys. That said, I think all of them are at least a step above him for now, although when he's a senior who knows? Explosive with his throws and a pinning machine, Alton can be tons of fun to watch. I just don't think Cael will feel he can afford to sit him this season.

Josh Kindig is really fun to watch. All kinds of fun scrambles, lots of flurries and offense. I think the year of work with John Smith and Jordan Oliver and Eric Guerrero will upgrade his defense to a higher level, and he'll be able to make it up this high in a somewhat depleted weight. Seriously, after these top 4, it's kind of barren.

Mangrum is kind of unknown to a lot of us east of the Mighty Mississip, but he's a goer, and that helps at the NCAA's. I don't find him to be one of those ubertalented kids, but one of those guys who beats "better" kids through work ethic. Again, the depleted nature of this weight works to his advantage. That said, I can't see him really hanging with any of the top 4, and maybe not Kindig.

Matt Mariacher was on my fantasy team last year, so I got to observe him closer than most. He doesn't really have a special skill or an area where he truly excels, he's just solid in all areas. I am slightly worried about him given the loss of Mark Cody, but then again, maybe he ends up at Oklahoma. I think he takes a step forward in skill and gets on the podium.

He probably won't end up at Oklahoma, though, thanks to this guy. Kendrick Maple was one of the biggest 133's I've ever seen. I'm seriously not sure how he consistently made the weight. I think the arrival of Cody and the alleged arrival of Jared Frayer will really help Maple move beyond dependingo n his physical assets and refine his technique to where he's a real threat. I see Maple as somewhat of a sleeper (although others have pointed it out, so maybe it's more of a light napper than a sleeper), and he could really shoot up the podium if he responds to the coaching.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Default Re: Zapp's Dueling 2011/2012 Summer All American Picks 141 Posted

En garde, Jensen!
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

I like the pick of Mangrum, I think that he is at least a step behind the top of that class but on top of being a goer he is also one of the best athletes you'll ever see wrestle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post

Oh no he din't!!!! Yes, ladies, he did. Montell Marion is going to be the NCAA champion at this weight class provided he doesn't break his leg or a statute.

Boris Novachkov just can't get no respect. I think I'm the only person outside of the Pac 10 who put Boris into the Finals at NCAA's last year, and there he was.

LOL! If Montell breaks another statute I will cry. Love your pick.

BTW, you werent the only one who had Boris reaching the finals last year. After I drafted him in my fantasy league I proclaimed it in my head.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

I don't see how Boris could ever beat Russell. Boris IS Russell with worse defense and less offense. Watchin his finals match Boris was never really close to scoring/riding/anything. With Perry gone and Cal Poly not having that leadership it's hard to imagine him improving much.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Very good point re: Perry who despite the weight difference seemed to be a mentor for Boris

149:

1. Frank Molinaro, Penn State
    2. Eric Grajales, Michigan
    3. Dylan Ness, Minnesota
    4. Jason Chamberlain, Boise State
    5. Mario Mason, Rutgers
    6. Ganbayar Sanjaa, American
    7. Jamal Parks, Oklahoma State
    8. Joey Napoli, Lehigh

GOD: Michael Kelly, Iowa

Round of 12: Ivan Lopouchanski, Purdue; Matthew Nereim, NC State; Scott Sakaguchi, Oregon State; Donnie Vinson, Binghamton

Caveat: I have picked Molinaro, but this is making the assumption that he has gotten out from under Kyle Dake by next March, although that may be wishful thinking. Either way, I Choose Down has to like his chances next year. After an injury, the only guy who could really hang with him was Dake. The weight is relatively barren, to be honest, but Molinaro is a quality wrestler and should relatively cruise to a title unless Ness or Grajales take a bigger step than I anticipate. His neutral skills aren't super refined, but he's bulldogish in getting after them and can put a brutal ride on from the top, though he's not particularly adept at turning, which is his second biggest weakness.

This pick is assuming that Jim Gibbons slips Eric Grajales a 5 Hour Energy as he steps off the bus. It's easy to forget now (or mock, if you're vaisforlovers), but Grajales was considered right there with David Taylor coming out of high school, and he deserved it. He has what we shall charitably call a laid-back demeanor on the mat, but he's technically very skilled and also has a deep "big move" capability, being a strong Greco wrestler who has placed at Senior Nationals. Hindered by his ill-advised attempt to make 133 next year, Grajales never truly got all the way back. He definitely wasn't a full 149. If he gets all the way up to size, he really could win a title next year. Another big factor is the recent acquisitions of Bormet and Pritzlaff, two dynamite coaches that really could push Grajales up a level or two.

Dylan Ness was a big recruit, but he wasn't really "exciting" anybody outside of Gopher Nation until he had a torrid Midlands. With a nice pedigree, I think it bodes well for his development under J Robinson. Can he be as good or better than his brother? I don't know. Jayson Ness is my favorite Gopehr of all time, though. From watching him, it really looks like Dylan has it all, and with this weight being relatively empty, I think he's a pretty likely bet for top 4 at least.

Jason Chamberlain is a turkey sandwich. He's boring. Bland. Not flashy at all. But he's solid, and he gets the job done. You never come away from a Chamberlain win with your socks blown off, but he's just very effective. Not particularly weak in any area, he's also not particularly strong in any area. He's a quality wrestler, though, and better than anybody else at this weight after him, at least so far. I may be underrating him putting him this low.

Mario Mason deserves some serious credit. He got a lot of hate, with people claiming he couldn't hang in D-1, he didn't have the dedication or heart. Last year, however, he really showed something. He'll never be confused with a grinder, but he's highly skilled, and his counter style can cause a lot of problems for people. Don't give him too much space, or you're going to get hit with a duckunder.

Sanjaa came out almost nowhere to people not named kobepm. With a very unorthodox style that not a lot of American kids will have been exposed to, and better mat wrestling than you would expect, Sanjaa earned himself a nice finish at NCAA's. It's a new year, folks, and people will have a chance to scout him now, so I think he'll lose a bit of effectiveness, but he's still a good wrestler, so he'll make the podium. One thing to beware is the coaching situation at American. Could he follow Cody to Oklahoma?

Jamal Parks is like a Revolutionary War musket. He's strong, powerful, and he can definitely take you out, but he only has one shot in him every 7 minutes. This is a guy who could tear through most of this weight if he really got after it, but he just refuses to do so. As a result, he loses matches he shouldn't. This is a Finals talent, but he's not likely to make it unless he gets his conditioning totally in order and he starts attacking a bit more.

Joey Napoli had some nice results, including a relative beating he put on Mario Mason at EIWA's. His main strength is on top, and that helps shorten his matches and neutralize his major weakness, not having a real go-to shot from his feet. Again, the barren wasteland of this weight is aiding Napoli here in reaching the podium.

Michael Kelly's Regard for Human Life = 0.
    Last edited by Zapp Brannigan; 06-18-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Other than his rap skillz what have you seen of neirem to suggest hed be so good so early?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.