Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Derek St. John to 165

Default Re: Derek St. John to 165

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    A very formidable line-up! They'll certainly be in the thick of things this coming year. Iowa, Ok State and PSU should have quite a dog-fight, with others in the mix if they get hot--including Wisconsin, Cornell and Minnesota. With Ohio State's great recruiting class they are maybe a year or two away from being back to form as well.

I see that PSU-Iowa is at PSU again this coming year. I thought they alternated home-away in the Big 10. Does anyone know why it's at PSU again this year? That should be a great dual this coming year. PSU will certainly be looking for revenge for their dual loss last year.
    With Nebraska joining the Big 10, the Big 10 schedule was completely revamped I believe.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Just wondering what ruffles your feathers about Kelly? I'm sure you have seen him wrestle, haven't you?

My message was meant for jensenS.

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    Just wondering what ruffles your feathers about Kelly? I'm sure you have seen him wrestle, haven't you?
    I saw him wrestle freestyle this Summer, and was less than impressed.

Jensen is smug about Kelly because alot of people on the Iowa site have been raving about him since he got in the room but has no national accolades to back it up. Jensen just needs to trust us and take the leap of faith. Who knows, Kelly might not even make the lineup this year due to Nick Moore but that won't mean he isnt good.

Mike went 25-5 between 157 and 165 last year, 18-2 @ 157. Two of those losses came to Nick Moore the others were to Spangler, Patacsil and Sulzer. He recorded wins against RaVaughn Perkins, David Bonin and Nick Moore. Not too bad for a RS year.

If he breaks the lineup this year, I think he will be solid for us. I'm not ready to call him an AA just yet but I wouldnt be suprised if it did happen. I also wouldnt be suprised if Nick Moore gets the spot. Both are good and will be solid wrestlers for Iowa.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    A number of credible posters said weight wasnt an issue for DSJ. That's why it mildly surprised me as I thought DSJ at 57 made the team better.
    DSJ at 57 makes the team better and it also gives him a shot at a higher AA (or even Nat Champ). "Lanky" and "funky" aren't the two attributes I'd choose to beat Howe.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    DSJ at 57 makes the team better and it also gives him a shot at a higher AA (or even Nat Champ). "Lanky" and "funky" aren't the two attributes I'd choose to beat Howe.
    Agree 100%. Howe may be taking an Olympic RS this year anyways.

I wouldnt really call St. John "funky". Lanky, yes, but he is very sound technically and doesnt really remind me of any of the funkmasters of the past.

I agree that the team would be better with him at 157 if he can make the weight. I'm not 100% sold that he is going to be at 165 next season anyway. If Luke says so, theres got to be something to it, but the season is a long ways off.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

St. John is not funky at all. He isnt very flashy either. He just stays in good position and rarely beats himself with stupid moves. He will be just fine at 165 this year though, and Iowa will be fine as well. The weights will work itself out with Mike Kelly in the lineup or not. I got to see him wrestle a lot of times in high school and he is a goer for sure, but Moore will push him most definitely.