Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who had the best runs in consolations?

Default Re: Who had the best runs in consolations?

I agree with Bluestater as to the impressive run by Matt Pell last year.
    But I think that the all time Ironman may be Larry Quissel of Boise State:lost his first match as the 4th seed 3-4 and then went:
    14-4
    3-1
    4-0
    2;16
    6-3
    4:39
    and then beat Brian Snyder 8-2 for 3rd place
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Default Re: Who had the best runs in consolations?

Here is an old school one (1984 NCAA's) that is one of my favorites, partially because the wrestler was a buddy from H.S. days. Cal Bakersfield's 126 lb Sophomore John Loomis entered the 84 NCAA's unseeded, as the D2 runner-up. His first match was against Iowa St. great and top-seeded Kevin Darkus. Darkus pounded John 19-4. Alot of guys would have started eyeing the BBQ and Garlic fries right about then, but old Loomis came back in consolations, starting with a cons. pig-tail match, beating future AA Gary Barios from Arizona St 14-6; then proceeded to defeat: Albert Perez of San Jose St. (12-4);D3 champ and future Olympian Orlando Caceras of Trenton St. (11-4), Mark Zimmer of OK (13-8), Rich Santoro of Lehigh (6-4) and finally, pinning Mark Trizzino of Iowa (4:59) for 3rd place! Not a bad comeback after getting waxed by Darkus. John transferred to OK State with Joe Seay, but only wrestled one year for some reason and never AA's again. He made the 1986 Pan Am team, but dropped off the wrestling map after that.