Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

Default Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

I like the idea of allowing the top wrestler to choose neutral (automatically giving the escape) as HS is now doing.

Some of the stall changes are interesting. I'm curious if the bottom wrestler is facing the edge of the circle, kicks out but one foot goes out of bounds, is that going to be stalling even when he had nowhere else to go?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...+escape+clause

Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    I like the idea of allowing the top wrestler to choose neutral (automatically giving the escape) as HS is now doing.

Some of the stall changes are interesting. I'm curious if the bottom wrestler is facing the edge of the circle, kicks out but one foot goes out of bounds, is that going to be stalling even when he had nowhere else to go?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...+escape+clause
    I like the those suggestions.

To answer your question, yes. It's fleeing the mat. Always has been, just has not been called. That wrestler needs to find a different way of defending himself without leaving the mat. I get sick when I see wrestlers try to kick out of bounds when the ref is just about ready to award the takedown. If not two for a TD the guy should get one for stalling.

The suggestion about stalling being called when a wrestler takes a step backward is my favorite. Dennis would've beat Oliver by fifteen points two years ago instead of losing by a TD with five seconds left.

They can make all these rule changes, but if the refs don't follow through with them it really won't matter. Bring back Mike Allen of ten years ago. That guy knew how to call a match.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

I'm interested most in seeing what they do with the injury time outs. Seems like they're trying to eliminate lung time outs, but good luck with that.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

So one step backward off the start is stalling, at least that is how I read it. But what about a guy like Jordan Burroughs, who is arguably the most "offensive" wrestler from the feet, yet who also relies on said backward steps in order to create the space needed to shoot the double?

I think the refs are going to have to use some judgment on this rule, but I think the rest of them look pretty good.

In my opinion any time you deliberately go out of bounds it should be called "fleeing the mat". A defensive wrestler should need to make every effort to remain in bounds while fighting off an attack- or give up a point. This would make college level wrestling a lot more exciting and matches wouldn't last 10 minutes, which would also benefit the fitter athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    In my opinion any time you deliberately go out of bounds it should be called "fleeing the mat". A defensive wrestler should need to make every effort to remain in bounds while fighting off an attack- or give up a point. This would make college level wrestling a lot more exciting and matches wouldn't last 10 minutes, which would also benefit the fitter athlete.
    Are you saying you don't like the longer matches because the "fitter" athlete usually wins? I don't follow.

He's talking about matches being longer because of guys going out of bounds 78 times per match.

Wrestlers are forced to constantly "go" for 7:00 rather than wrestling in :10 flurries for 15:00.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

I don't know; maybe I just don't like change, but it seems to me that a lot of these rules are unnecessary. Not all bad, but few that I really think would help the sport. Some of the more controversial rules in my eyes:

A wrestler must only move forward or in a circular motion on a neutral start before making contact. A participant who steps backward is stalling unless it is to sprawl from an opponent’s takedown attempt. For reasons discussed earlier, I don't think this change would be productive.

A wrestler near the edge of the mat cannot step out of bounds unless it is to sprawl from an opponent’s takedown attempt or when interlocked. A participant will be called for stalling if he kicks out from a lower leg hold when this action results in the defending wrestler going out of the wrestling area. Good and bad parts to this. Mule kicking may become near impossible considering the amount of ground you can cover by doing it (and if you go out, you will get called for stalling). The mule kick is, in my eyes, a legitimate counter that many people utilize as a basic defense, so I see making it obsolete as counter productive. However, it will also help prevent wrestlers from playing the edge, which I'm not a fan of, so, there's two sides to it.

Any wrestler who repeatedly grasps or interlocks his hands around a leg without attempting an offensive move will be called for stalling. I may be interpreting this rule incorrectly, but if I am not, I feel this would be a bad rule change, and would actually discourage shooting in on the opponents legs. In many cases, when you shoot, you will get stuck under the guy. You can try and circle around or suck it up and come out the back door or something, but a lot of the time, the other guy's sprawl is just too solid and you won't be able to do that. So, what are you supposed to do? Unlock your hands and let him get the easy go behind? Or sit there and give up a stalling warning? I feel this would be a step in the wrong direction, and again, I believe it would discourage wrestlers from shooting.
    Last edited by IloveSATS; 04-26-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Am I cool now?

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    He's talking about matches being longer because of guys going out of bounds 78 times per match.

Wrestlers are forced to constantly "go" for 7:00 rather than wrestling in :10 flurries for 15:00.
    Then I agree with him.