Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Perry to Illinois?

Default Mark Perry to Illinois?

Being posted on TOM as fact. Absolutely crazy if true.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: Mark Perry to Illinois?

There are two ways I could see this being a good move. One...if the writing is on the wall and in Californias budget crisis that the wrestling program at Cal Poly is going to be dropped. Or, two...If he is the new head coach at Illinois. I cannot see the second being true since they just hired a new coach last year. I sure hope Cal Poly is going to be around for many more years.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Was going to say, has Heffernan retired or gotten fired and just nobody told anyone?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

In a vacuum Illinois is just a better job than Cal Poly.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    In a vacuum Illinois is just a better job than Cal Poly.
    Maybe, but he could have alot of success at Cal Poly that I don't think he will have at Illinois. He'll never win a B10 conference title at Illinois but he would have a good chance to win a PAC10 title with Cal Poly. He probably won't win a lot of recruiting battles with Tom and Cael, but might out in no mans land with some of those good California dudes. He might even put together a team out there that would outperform Illinois at nationals on a consistent basis. The more I think about it the more I think Cal Poly might be a better choice unless the money sucks or theyre gonna drop wrestling. But, staying at Cal Poly doesnt give you many opportunities to bump heads with Tom Brands, J Rob, Cael, Ryan and the big boys in the B10. Maybe he wants to show that he can be right there with those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Maybe, but he could have alot of success at Cal Poly that I don't think he will have at Illinois. He'll never win a B10 conference title at Illinois but he would have a good chance to win a PAC10 title with Cal Poly. He probably won't win a lot of recruiting battles with Tom and Cael, but might out in no mans land with some of those good California dudes. He might even put together a team out there that would outperform Illinois at nationals on a consistent basis. The more I think about it the more I think Cal Poly might be a better choice unless the money sucks or theyre gonna drop wrestling. But, staying at Cal Poly doesnt give you many opportunities to bump heads with Tom Brands, J Rob, Cael, Ryan and the big boys in the B10. Maybe he wants to show that he can be right there with those guys.
    Something tells me Pac 10 titles aren't that big of a deal to Perry.

Illinois has managed to get really good recruits despite not the best coaching or most exciting program. They are decent now and I think he'll get some better talent than they already had.

Almost every big 10 job is a step up over Cal Poly, and Illinois definitely is.

Jordan Blanton should immediately be better.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Maybe, but he could have a lot of success at Cal Poly that I don't think he will have at Illinois. He'll never win a B10 conference title at Illinois but he would have a good chance to win a PAC10 title with Cal Poly.
    Hang on - Illinois won in 2005 with, apparently, not great coaching and not being an interesting program. I would think Perry is confident enough to think he can coach well and make it an interesting place. I agree that it looks like Illinois would need to have a really good team (for them) coupled a down year from the other top programs (right now Iowa & PSU), but if it happened 6 years ago, it can happen again.

I think Perry will have an easier time recruiting the middle and eastern part of the country because of his background. Illinois should help that.

2005 was a down year for B10 wrestling. Sadly there was no team that was any good.