Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Wrestling Need the NCAA? - A Viratas Original

Default Re: Does Wrestling Need the NCAA? - A Viratas Original

I very rarely efer to someone as a NCAA Champ. I almost always call them a National Champ. I cold care less who is running the show. If you have a tournament with the best wrestlers in the country wrestling in it, it's a national championship no matter who sponsers it.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

How many fans were at national club wrestling tournament ?

Quote Originally Posted by ogw View Post
    I have no idea, but it's only because there is a superior alternative available. If Taylor, Buroughs, Caldwell, etc were wrestling at club tournaments then I'd follow the sport. How many of you watch WNBA basketball? If you're going to watch basketball, your're going to watch men's basketball, even though the NBA has poured millions into promoting the WNBA.

Has the NCAA brought any new fans to the sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Has the NCAA brought any new fans to the sport?
    I saw more ads for the women's basketball tournament than wrestling. Its rare to see a wrestler on any type of NCAA ad - I recall one all 'Winter Championships" with Montell Marion in it. They do nothing to promote the event and show no plans to try to grow it.

Quote Originally Posted by ogw View Post

If the best wrestlers wrestled in the club league, everyone would watch it instead of the inferrior NCAA wrestling league. Your point is weak.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

One thing to consider:

During 99% of the season searchers refer to collegiate wrestling as "college wrestling" - Even newspapers refer to it as college wrestling more often than NCAA Wrestling.

It is only during the NCAA tournament that we see the use of "NCAA wrestling" spike.

I have felt for a long time that it does not make sense for colleges to sponsor athletics. It is contrary to the true purpose of these "institutions of higher learning". FB and BB make way too much money for the NCAA and the big time colleges, so that system is not going to change.

But for the other sports a local club system, not affliated with any college makes sense to me. It would remove issues about Title IX, academic performance/cheating, amatuer status, recrutiung violations.
    If a club was popular it could charge admission and pay its best athletes.
    If someone is a good wrestler and a poor student, they would not have to go to college and pretend.

I understand in Europ most sports are structured this way.

Personally, I do not have a strong attachment to any college team, so it would not take much for me to root a for club team.

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    I liked your comments, KR. It's about money, plain and simple. The NCAA doesn't manage anything. They are a lobby that represents a consortium of big-money college programs. Anything more than that is just a charade. They only promote women's programs to protect their financial sacred cows, men's football and basketball, from being touched by Title IX. Even then, relatively few football and basketball programs actually make money. Very sad.
    Thx GF.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I have felt for a long time that it does not make sense for colleges to sponsor athletics. It is contrary to the true purpose of these "institutions of higher learning". FB and BB make way too much money for the NCAA and the big time colleges, so that system is not going to change.

But for the other sports a local club system, not affliated with any college makes sense to me. It would remove issues about Title IX, academic performance/cheating, amatuer status, recrutiung violations.
    If a club was popular it could charge admission and pay its best athletes.
    If someone is a good wrestler and a poor student, they would not have to go to college and pretend.

I understand in Europ most sports are structured this way.

Personally, I do not have a strong attachment to any college team, so it would not take much for me to root a for club team.
    Bravo ODH for nearly saying the obvious: NCAA FB & BB are the MINOR LEAGUES for those sports. At least baseball didn't really draft college players until about 30 years ago.

In Europe the #1 Sport is FOOTBALL/FUSSBALL/FUTBOL (Soccer). If you play for a college team you pretty much suck. If you are any good you are playing for the Club's junior team by the time you are 16-18. You are playing in a lower division looking to get transferred.

What would the NBA & NFL do without the NCAA? Thats what I am talking about in terms of the money you don't see.

TV turned the Pro leagues into viable businesses & THEN you saw the college game boom.