Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Division 1 Programs would you bring back?

Default What Division 1 Programs would you bring back?

OK: If you could bring back any 5 divsion 1 programs that have been cut which would you bring back????

Personally I would bring Back:

1)Syracuse: They have been successful in the past and I believe they would be successful in the future.
    2) BYU: could be successful and have a good potential rivalry with Utah Valley
    3) Fresno State: Could be successful with all of the Clovis Schools and Bucanan near by.
    4) University of Oregon: Could be successful and have a rivalry with Oregon State
    5) San Diego State University: Could be successful with local high schools like Poway and such.
    Last edited by Schlottke; 03-28-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Fixed Title... Don't use annoying titles... (All Caps, exclamation points, etc.)

Default Re: What Division 1 Programs would you bring back?

My short list, if I hit the powerball or something, that I'd try to bring back

1. William & Mary: I grew up 20 minutes from Williamsburg. Great school and atmosphere.
    2. Syracuse: Got accepted there. The legacy of guys like Mean Gene Mills needs to be restored.
    3. Norfolk State: Poorly run athletics department, but we need some Division I HBCU's back in the fold. I'd like to go the state-school route, but an alternative would be Hampton University.
    4. Nebraska-Omaha: They need to stay alive. Fire Trev, then get the program back.
    5. Washington: Same as Gene Mills, but instead Larry Owings. That state needs a D1 program.

I'd bring them all back. But I don't know enough of the programs that have been dropped to comment on which I would bring back but I will say, I think there needs to be more programs picked back up and/or added in California and in Texas our two biggest states with great talent pools. Also in Florida, schools there need to bring back (or maybe none ever had it? so add it) the state is a wrestling hot bed and needs to be used. I think there needs to be a program added in Texas, California and Florida in the next five years, I think all states could support the addition and the kids could feed the new program and it could be successful. With UNCG dropping I assume we will lose the Southern Scuffle, that gives the opportunity for a school in the south to add a program and a big time D1 tournament.

Kansas State, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Syracuse all with National Champs and UW-Stout for John Peterson!
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Some of these had programs, some didn't, but here are the ones I'd like to see start up:

Akron
    Miami (Ohio)
    Cincinnati
    Dayton
    Wright State
    Bowling Green
    Toledo
    Youngstown State

World Champ

1. Drake university. We want ALL the Iowa wrestling programs back!
    2. Kansas and Kansas State. Let's make the Big "12" more than four again ...
    3. Rhode Island. Once was respectable. Could be again.
    4. Oregon. Great state, Great college town. Awful sports administrators. Isn't there a special place in Sports Hell for Killkenny?
    5. Howard. Agree with Dart. Need HBCUs back in the wrestling fold. (Also Delaware State, etc.)
    6. Yale. Gives Harvard yet another way to kick the Bulldogs' butts.
    Last edited by grapplefan; 03-29-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

UCLA! Didn't Dave Schultz go there?
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    2. Kansas and Kansas State. Let's make the Big "12" more than five again ...
    You mean four?

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    You mean four?
    Oops, I mean four ...