Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Never to win NCAA's 2000-2011 (Full List Posted)

Default Re: Best Never to win NCAA's 2000-2011 (6-25 Posted)

There are still five spots left on the list...
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    There are still five spots left on the list...
    Kelly should occupy at least 3 of them.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

1. Sam Hazewinkel (3/3/3/2) 132-8, 19-4 NCAA's

While I could probably leave this space blank and still have one member here be very happy with the composition of this list, I'll explain. One of only two guys that I know of (the other guy was a Sooner as well) to finish top 3 all four years but not win it. Half his career losses came at the NCAA tournament. All four of those losses at the tournament came to the eventual NCAA champion. Dominated the match series with #10 Simmons over the course of their careers.

2. Jon Trenge (DNW/2/2/3) 133-14, 13-3 NCAA's

Maybe another example of subjective placement at work here. He gets the nod here over Snyder due to his additional top 3 finish as a senior. I can't hold the DNP as a freshman against him since he didn't even make it to the national tournament due to his detached retina. Was having a great season as a freshman and had he wrestled may have finished high enough to allow him to unseat the one guy that I have placed above him.

3. Bryan Snyder (4/5/2/2) 136-11, 18-6 NCAA's

Second finals appearance gives him the nod over Percival. Don't really have much for him other than to say look at the numbers because the only match I've ever really seen from him was his NCAA finals match against Luke Becker.

4. Jake Percival (4/5/2/3) 142-10, 18-6 NCAA's

Gets the nod over Tyrone due to fewer losses, better average finish, and the fact that (I believe) he did it all without taking a redshirt which given the weight classes that he was in through out his career makes his accomplishments all the more impressive. Probably most famous for the 18-4 win over Mike Zadick in the quarters as a freshman. Close finals loss as a junior to Matt Gentry.

5. Tyrone Lewis (5/3/5/2) 115-14, 17-6 NCAA's

Gets the nod over the guys that I have below him due to the 4 All American finishes and the minimal number of losses. Like Poeta he spent a year wrestling up a weight class from what was his ideal weight. Unlike Poeta he still managed to become an All American. Some absolute wars with Troy Letters as a senior.

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: Best Never to win NCAA's 2000-2011 (Full List Posted)

Next list (out sometime next month hopefully) will be the 25 best single seasons from 1991/1992-2010/2011.

Nice list, you put your time in for sure.

Ask anyone associated with OSU while Tyrone was there and they will tell you him not winning it is the biggest wrestling mystery they know. Unfortunate Nationals couldn't be held in the OSU wrestling room. Saw him beat Hendricks, Pendleton, Rosholt and Mocco there.

Nice job JensenS.

Art-What did Lewis beat Mocco in exactly? The mile?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Best. List. Ever.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

JensenS, yes, Lewis was undefeated his Junior year until losing to Thompson(who he previously beat in a dual) in the finals. He lost in the finals of the Big 10 as you pointed out. His other losses were as a soph when he filled in occasionally. He had some nice wins as well. I was at dual in Madison where he dismantled Kevin Black. His frosh year, I think he was in JCCO or DII/DIII.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.