Russell over Oliver
    Dake over Russell
    Dake over Jenkins
    Burroughs over Jenkins
    Reader over Burroughs
    Reader over Wright
    Kilgore over Wright
    Rey over Kilgore
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Default Re: One up, one down

Really creative thread:

Oliver over Robles-the strength factor becomes less of an advantage for Robles which I think is a very big part of it. Oliver has enough on his feet to get to Robles.

Russell over Oliver-I had to change my pick here. Russell is the cat with 9 lives and although I am sure he has used them all, they seem to be endless. He wins here against Oliver just because.

Dake over Russell-agree, Dake would ride Russell all day long and regardless of Russell's "gyro", Dake just too strong.

Jenkins over Dake-I'm not betting against the kid that just pinned David Taylor and up until then looked much stronger and very calm.

Burroughs over Jenkins-too quick, too strong.

Burroughs over Reader-not too confident on this one but I think Burroughs has enough strength and plenty of speed to have pulled this off THIS year even at 165.

Wright over Reader-just something about the "destiny" that this kid had at NCAA's makes me think he would have pulled it out somehow. We are talking about at the moment of the NCAA tournament right? For some reason, after Big Ten's you could just tell that Wright had "it". If Kirk Smith were 100%, I still would have picked Wright by the time that final had come around. Just a completely different wrestler than what we saw when he first got back on the mat.

Kilgore over Wright-this "destiny" does not hold out in the face of THIS beast. Good god, Kilgore looks like a Lesnar in waiting.

Kilgore over Rey-plenty quick, plenty strong, keep Reys weight off him on the tie-ups, take him down and when Rey starts to get up, let him up and take him down again, no rolling around on the mat with Rey, Kilgore gets a little bit sloppy with some of that. Kilgore is strong enough to get out from bottom I think at least the one time he may have too. Would be a really fun match.
    Last edited by goferphan; 03-24-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Robles over Oliver
    Russell over Oliver
    Dake over Russell
    Dake over Jenkins
    Burroughs over Jenkins
    Reader over Burroughs
    Reader over Wright
    Kilgore over Wright
    Rey over Kilgore
    because
    because
    because
    because
    because
    because
    because
    because
    because
    because
    because....
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Wow. Lots of Reader love from Zapp.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Robles vs Oliver: Robles! The strength difference is still too great for Oliver to overcome, not until 141s does Robles begin to lose IMO.
    Oliver vs Russel: Russell. Close match between two undefeateds. I go with the undefeated dude in the higher weight class (that happened to be the toughest weight in the country).
    Russel vs Dake: Dake. WAAAY too big for Russell. Biggest size difference of the dual, except for 197 vs HW.
    Dake vs Jenkins: Dake again. Jenkins not really a big 157 anyway, but an interesting match. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go the other way.
    Jenkins vs Burroughs: Burroughs. Too much speed and power for Bubba.
    Burroughs vs Reader: Reader. Tough match but again, got to go with the undefeated guy in the higher weight class.
    Reader vs Wright: Wright. I think he's just too big.
    Wright vs Kilgore: Kilgore. Again, too big for the guy below him.
    Kilgore vs Rey: Rey. He's got, what, at least 60 pounds at least on Kilgore?

I would tend to go with the heavier guy almost every time. At this level, everyone's so good that it's pretty rare a guy can go up a weight and beat the champ up there. Otherwise, why cut the weight? But, a cool thread and a good way to use a work break.

Robles over Oliver-Oliver is the better wrestler, but Robles is just such a freakish match up. Like McDonough, Oliver is long and a lot of him to grab. Robles strength advantage will still be enormous. Oliver is superior technique-wise to McDonough and Robles, but McDonough's loss wasn't due to a technique lapse, it was just due to Robles ability to supremely dictate his match. I might pick Robles up to 141. And that's a testament to how well he's mastered his specific style.

Russell over Oliver-I felt terrible picking Oliver to lose twice, but I think the size is too much. The assumption being used here is that Oliver would basically be wrestling up a weight class. If Oliver had gone 141 all year and put on the size needed, he'd win. I think he's a special wrestler. But with Russell's specific skills and sie, his ridiculous TDD and balance, I think he'd squeak out a win.

Dake over Russell-Dake does a lot of the things Russell does, only he's way bigger and more physical.

Dake over Jenkins-Jenkins won't have the mental edge he had over Taylor, and Dake has the right type of physical style to take Jenkins off his game; not to mention, Dake is plenty big to have been 157 this year.

Burroughs over Jenkins-Burroughs explosiveness is too much for Jenkins, who relies on his own explosiveness often.

Reader over Burroughs-I think Reader has been massively underrated given what he's done this year. He may have been the most consistently dominant wrestler this season other than Burroughs and Oliver (I'd rank them evenly), and he's just bigger than Burroughs now. Reader is planning on going 184 in FS.

Reader over Wright-Wright is a worthy champion, but 184 was a wide open weight class. Wright happened to be super red hot at the exact right time, and I don't fault him for that or doubt he could do it again. But I think Reader gets him.

Kilgore over Wright-Kilgore just too massive.

Rey over Kilgore-See above, but even bigger difference. I'm reminded of the stories out of Northwestern's room where they used to do King of the Mountain, and you would assume Herbert won, but Dustin Fox just mauled him.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Rey over Kilgore-See above, but even bigger difference. I'm reminded of the stories out of Northwestern's room where they used to do King of the Mountain, and you would assume Herbert won, but Dustin Fox just mauled him.
    Exactly, people see these slow heavies just lumbering around, and figure "$hit, I could beat him". Then they grab you and make you squeal like a girl 'cause they're just too damn big. Everyone here that has messed with the hw on their team once or twice before knows what I'm talking about (if their heavy was any good).

People act as though Robles was never beaten by 125 lbers. he had his share of losses last year and in years prior. I know he made some improvements but not that dramatic. Long wrecked him last year.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Wow. Lots of Reader love from Zapp.
    Well he was 38-0 and National Champion at a weight most were talking about as one of the toughest in the NCAA, especially at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    People act as though Robles was never beaten by 125 lbers. he had his share of losses last year and in years prior. I know he made some improvements but not that dramatic. Long wrecked him last year.
    Robles took it to a new level this season. His neutral wrestling was vastly improved. Also, this would be Oliver's first go around with Robles, which also adds to his advantage.