Thread: Stats - Takedown record

Default Stats - Takedown record

Anyone know who has the most takedowns in a season? I have to believe Burroughs up there? I never saw so many 20+ point matches.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Default Re: Stats - Takedown record

I would be very surprised if he did have the all-time record as the tech rule was installed somewhere in the 80's(????). There used to be a TON of 20-10, 25-15, even 30 ft matches back in the 70's. Got to think that one of those guys would have the season td record. But maybe I'm wrong.

It would be interesting to see though if Burroughs does have the record in the "tech era". I'm guessing he does not as there are a lot quality guys who have wrestled 50+ matches in a season. I would have to think that his "td per match" number has to be at the top or near it. He is a takedown machine with possibly the fastest shots I've seen since maybe John Smith, with pure power on top. Somebody a few threads back said he reminds them of Kenny Monday and I think that is a pretty good comparison, just lightning fast and strong as hell.

Burroughs had 132 dual takedowns. Add in Midlands, Big XIIs and Nationals to get his total. He was averaging 7 a match.

Thanks
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Good question. I don't know where you'd find the ncaa record. Ohio State has team records on their website, but I'd be surprised if Burroughs didn't have more than OSU single season record holder Tommy Rowlands' total of 228.

Rick, c'mon, that must be his career total or takedown points total (TDx2). He's was a heavyweight dagnabbit.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

That's like 5.7 TD's a match if he wrestled 40 matches. Attainable I suppose.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Rick, c'mon, that must be his career total or takedown points total (TDx2). He's was a heavyweight dagnabbit.
    On OSU's website, he's listed as the record holder with that total. He was 44-1 that year. Keep in mind that, unlike most other HWTs, Rowlands wasn't much of a pinner, since he was undersized. He relied heavily on taking guys down and wearing them out, by wrestling a tempo that most HWTs couldn't match. He had 203.5 team points that year, with fewer than 11 pins (I don't know how many, but his season total doesn't make the top 20, which was 11) he still averaged 4.6 team points per match. So, if he wasn't pinning guys, that means a ton of tech falls and majors. Most of which were gotten with takedowns.