Default Everything Matt McDonough

Here is as good a place to start.

more to follow.......
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Default Re: Everything Matt McDonough

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/03/19/ha...-to-next-year/

Hawkeye wrestlers already moving on to next year
    [ 7 ] March 19, 2011 | Andy Hamilton

PHILADELPHIA ? Matt McDonough reached out to shake the hand of the third wrestler to beat him during his career at Iowa and sprinted off the mat Saturday night at the NCAA Championships.

The sophomore raced through a tunnel of the Wells Fargo Center and into the warm-up area in the back corridor where McDonough sprinted from end to end for several minutes after his 7-1 loss to Arizona State?s Anthony Robles in the 125-pound national final.

Seconds after McDonough?s sophomore season concluded, his junior season began.

?I?m working for another year starting a half hour ago, starting two minutes after my match,? McDonough said. ?I took my time, now it?s time to build.?

Iowa?s string of three consecutive NCAA titles came to an end Saturday morning when Penn State locked up its first national championship in 58 years during the consolation round. The Nittany Lions piled up 107.5 points to finish 14 ahead of Cornell, becoming the first program other than Iowa, Oklahoma State or Minnesota to put its prints on the gold trophy since 1988.

McDonough?s defeat left Iowa locked in third with 86.5 points.

?You look at parity this year and there were so many uncertainties,? Iowa coach Tom Brands said. ?This was the year to keep it going. This was the year to go for four.?

The Hawkeyes matched Penn State and Cornell for the tournament high with five All-Americans, but Iowa?s medalists included McDonough?s silver, Grant Gambrall?s bronze at 184, two fourths (Montell Marion at 141 and Derek St. John at 157) and a fifth (Luke Lofthouse at 197).

?We earned what we got,? Brands said. ?We got third in the tournament as a team and our guys pretty much earned what they got. In their individual performances, I think we underachieved ? that?s how much I believe in our guys. It stings, man, it stings.?

Iowa?s lone title bout was the most painful punch for the Hawkeyes. McDonough was bidding to become the school?s 22nd multi-time NCAA champion after winning the title as a freshman. But he was facing perhaps the toughest and most unusual challenge of his career.

Born without a right leg, Robles learned to adapt on the wrestling mat by crafting a style based around the upperbody strength of an upperweight and a vice-like grip developed from years on crutches.

Robles (36-0) mauled through his competition this season, notching 24 technical falls on his way to the title match.

?Yeah, he?s strong, but does that mean I can?t handle it? No,? McDonough said. ?It means you?ve got to be more aware and know what you?re getting yourself into and go out there to scrap. You can?t come out in the first two minutes and feel things out when you?re on that stage.?

McDonough was in trouble by the time he got through the second minute. He said he got a better feel for wrestling Robles later in the match, but the deficit was too big by then.

Robles scored a takedown in the opening minute and went to work on top, picking up five points on a pair of tilts to take a 7-0 lead into the second period.

?I had a lot of butterflies going out there,? Robles said. ?I?ve dreamt about stepping on that stage a dozen times, and this whole year I?ve just been preparing for that moment. I was scared out there, but as soon as I hit that first takedown I sort of relaxed. I said, ?OK, back to business. Same drill as usual.??

McDonough spent the second period working for a takedown and burned the last two minutes looking for something big on top. His only point came in the final minute when Robles was called for stalling on bottom.

?I didn?t have any openings, I didn?t make any openings and things didn?t go my way,? McDonough said. ?I definitely felt better as the match went on, but it?s got to start from second 1, not second 300.?

Like McDonough, Brands spoke in construction terms Saturday night when he looked forward to a team with seven NCAA qualifiers and four All-Americans returning.

?I told our team earlier today there?s a lot of things to build on and every coach in America is saying that,? Brands said. ?But it can?t just be this weekend and tomorrow and then you forget about it. When I say there?s things to build on, there?s things you can be proud of even though we don?t have a champion.?

I don't think anyone except Brands expected this team to do this well this year and him saying that they underachieved makes me think they will be even more dangerous next year. I see next year's tournament as being even more competitive and I know McD will be one pissed off dude.

McD can be pissed off all he wants, he will benefit from Robles graduating though because I think he would be lucky to win that match 50% of the time even IF he learned how to wrestle Robles. McDonough handled himself with class and dignity in that match and I think he is to be commended for that.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Matt will use the loss as motivation and move on. He is smart kid and a extremely hard worker. I posted this more to show what a great attitude and competitor Matt is. Nothing more nothing less.

I think Matt would have had a better showing had he wrestled Robles before. Live and learn; Robles wrestled a great first and second period.

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    McD can be pissed off all he wants, he will benefit from Robles graduating though because I think he would be lucky to win that match 50% of the time even IF he learned how to wrestle Robles. McDonough handled himself with class and dignity in that match and I think he is to be commended for that.
    ALL 25ers benefit from his departure. Just a monster this year.

McD seems to be the kind of kid that hits the books hard and lives life spotlessly clean, so it's hard not to root for him. I've never seen him do anything unsporting that a lot of Hawks seem to get accused of.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Matt will use the loss as motivation and move on. He is smart kid and a extremely hard worker. I posted this more to show what a great attitude and competitor Matt is. Nothing more nothing less.

I think Matt would have had a better showing had he wrestled Robles before. Live and learn; Robles wrestled a great first and second period.
    I'm a fan of the thread - but you should really do one for Everything Iowa.. I think KR's thread was the difference this year.. :P

Didn't see many other losing finalists talking to the press.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.