Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will another wrestler EVER have been more vilified than...

Default Re: Will another wrestler EVER have been more vilified than...

Quote Originally Posted by iowahawkfan View Post
    Both not very classy imo.
    I didn't say I agreed with the vilification, just that I saw Sanders stomp as a very polarizing negative moment as are Thorns antics. It's okay though, sometimes to wrestle at an elite level some wrestlers have to wrestle angry. Sanders has actually calmed considerably since highschool. Go YouTube some of his highschool videos.

In other news, I think a very good Iowa team is great for the sport. I can't think of a year where the NCAA Championship on paper has looked more competitive.
    Last edited by goferphan; 03-14-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by amlan74 View Post
    Maybe I'm just forgetting, but what Thorn antics are you referring to?
    I don't think it's anything specific, Thorn just has a tendency to spazz out a bit after big wins, shoot his pretend six shooters, run around the mat, taunt opposing fans now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this logic. There are many examples of defending national champs not getting the top seed the next year. Didn't Jaggers from Ohio St, the year after winning nationals, get a #6 seed? Of course, he did win it again!
    Huge difference here Tom. Jaggers went into Nationals with something like 7 losses as the returning national champ. But, in the end the Jagger Bomb comes out at Tournament time.

Iowa fans and their dominance are hated like the Yankees, to deny that is silly. America doesnt like pure dominance like what Iowa does unless its against foreign countries like the Olympics. I think Hate is a strong word, but besides Iowa fans if this match happens the entire arena will be against McD.

Still dont know why all the talk is about McD and Precin though basically giving Robles a pass to the finals. This scenario assumes that Robles is in the finals, and that is NOT a lock. He will still have to beat very good guys to get there just like McD will as well.

Sander's stomp was definitely a polarizing moment. It brings to mind Roberto Alomar's spit at the umpire a while back, folks just never really saw him the same after that. I'm not really sure Sanders deserves his rep, it as it really wasn't that big a deal, but he just did it against the wrong guy, the guy with one leg, so automatically you think he's a scumbag afterward.

Maybe it's just me, but Thorn's act tends to crack me up more than anything. At times it's so over the top, it just can't be taken seriously, like his six-shootin' rootin' tootin' rant after his pin of Marion last year. You watch it and it's like you're almost embarrassed for him. Almost. I think I'll root for him to win it all this year just to see his celebration antics. He'd do something legendary I'm sure. I vote that he lies on the mat and runs around in circles, Three Stooges-Curly style.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Sander's stomp was definitely a polarizing moment. It brings to mind Roberto Alomar's spit at the umpire a while back, folks just never really saw him the same after that. I'm not really sure Sanders deserves his rep, it as it really wasn't that big a deal, but he just did it against the wrong guy, the guy with one leg, so automatically you think he's a scumbag afterward.

Sanders realised what he did was over the top wrong and appologised ASAP. Not a good moment for sure, and he knew it and did not try to justifiy it

I think I'll root for him to win it all this year just to see his celebration antics. He'd do something legendary I'm sure. I vote that he lies on the mat and runs around in circles, Three Stooges-Curly style.
    Oh man............I want to see that!!! Great visualisation OF!!!
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Found this on another wrestling site, couldn't of said it better myself: I make no argument that Robles is great. He's outstanding and has been dominant, but just like in college football, who you wrestle has to matter. At least make him face one of the best guys before the finals because he hasn't had to face any of them throughout the season. It's the right thing to do in my opinion and what's fair to the competitors. To me, this is a ploy by the NCAA to get Robles in the finals and generate PR for the sport.

At least make him face one of the best guys before the finals because he hasn't had to face any of them throughout the season.
    This isn't how seeding wrestling tournaments works, and it never has been...

It's the right thing to do in my opinion and what's fair to the competitors.
    Nor is this...
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Found this on another wrestling site, couldn't of said it better myself: I make no argument that Robles is great. He's outstanding and has been dominant, but just like in college football, who you wrestle has to matter. At least make him face one of the best guys before the finals because he hasn't had to face any of them throughout the season. It's the right thing to do in my opinion and what's fair to the competitors. To me, this is a ploy by the NCAA to get Robles in the finals and generate PR for the sport.
    Seeding has both subjective and objective components. Many of the first seeds in this NCAA tourny can be challeged by somebody who wants to:
    Rey lost his last match and is still seeded first.
    Branvold is undefeated and not seeded into the finals.
    Caldwell has been MIA most of the season an is seeded first.
    Howe has been MIA the second half of the season and is still seeded 2nd.
    Etc, etc, etc...............
    Last I heard, Robles was 28-0 with 21 techs.........that's pretty dominent. Precin and MCD is a toss up. Precin won first, was winning second when McD stuck him and McD won the last one.

You are grasping at straws when you claim a conspiracy theory as to seeding.
    Fellas.......face it, nobody cares about wrestling other than us. More people will go to see the 2 worst BB teams in the Big !0 play each other than went to our BT Championship. There is NO PR for this sport, we are the ugly sister of college athletics and always will be.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

I'll cheer for Robles if it happens, but have nothing against McD, and certainly don't see him as a villain.