Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Iowa's Draw

Default Thoughts on Iowa's Draw

125: Hard to complain about this other than the fact I think he and Precin should have been separated until the potential Finals after 3 meetings. My guess is McDonough has Martinez, Boyle, and Waters to get to Precin. A pretty decent draw, other than the Precin thing.

133: Absolutely brutal draw with Cagnina in the pigtail. He could easily drop that match. Provided he wins, he'd have Jordan Keller and then Scotti Sentes on the way to a quarterfinal showdown with Andrew Long. If he beats Long again, he likely has Hochstrasser, which is as far as I can logically move him in the Championship bracket. All in all, very tough, IMO. I think he probably deserved the 5 seed over King Louie, who has fewer losses, but the losses were to Jake Fleckenstein and Rollie Peterkin by 6-0 (not a terrible loss, but pretty lopsided), whereas Ramos has much better wins, like over Andrew Long and BJ Futrell.

141: Brutal draw, even for this weight which was expected to be brutal. Kennedy and Russell both on his side, Kennedy in the quarters. Even Dutton in round 1 is no walkover. Tough draw for Montell.

149: N/A

157: Tough draw with David Taylor in the quarters, but not terrible for the first two rounds. HArd to argue with that, but DSJ-Taylor in the same quarter? I've seen it twice. I think St. John CAN beat him, but I'd rather see some new matchups.

165: I kind of like Janssen's draw from the 11 seed. Yates is good, but Janssen should beat him, and Dallas Bailey is eminently beatable at the 6 seed. That said, hard to see him going past that, as Caldwell is good. Still, not a terrible draw.

174: Tough draw. Probably Henderson and Letts just to get to the quarters, where he'll undoubtedly lose to Reader. Then, in the R12, he'd likely have the loser of Covington-Henrich. Honestly, Lofthouse would be better off losing to Letts.

184: Honestly, not a terrible draw. He gets a pigtail, and would face the winner of LeBlanc-Kissel in round 2 (if GG beats Trotman). Then he'd have Travis Rutt in the quarters, and Honeycutt (probably) in the semis. Honestly, if a Hawkeye was going to make a big run from a low seed, this would be it. Not going to happen because GG is such a mental case, but still...

197: I love Uncle Luke, but it's a good thing he's a grinder, because this is a BITCH of a draw. He's got tough matches from jump street with Orozco in round 1, Giesen in round 2, and then Kilgore in the quarters, and Simaz in the semis. Hard to see him pulling that off. Best I could see is him getting to the semis. Still, gonna be a tough road to hoe for Uncle Luke.

HWT: Not terrible for Big Blake. No world beaters, he could very conceivably win his way to the semis. Can't see him beating Flores, though. I could definitely see him beating Simonson, Fernandez, and Trice, although he could lose to Fernandez and Trice just as easily. Still, overall, it could be worse.

Overall, about what you expect at this tournament. Some good draws, some really tough draws. Marion and Lofthouse probably got it worst, with Ramos right behind them.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Default Re: Thoughts on Iowa's Draw

Iowa got jobbed in the lowers, but some decent draws with other weights.....But, im going to sum it up as brutal. Im a homer though and im sure almost every other fan out there is thinking the same in some way, shape, or form for some of their weights.

It's tough to comment on your favorite teams draw cause at every weight you are wired to think they could have a better draw and seed but in all honesty this year Iowa got some really really TOUGH seeds, as said above for them to win this year some guys are going to really have to wrestle out of their skin, (St. John, Marion, Uncle Luke, Ramos and Blake) I don't expect Iowa to win and I don't expect all these guys to win, I do expect Iowa to wrestle at a high level and possibly finish as the runner up with St. John, Marion and Ramos as top 4 finishers.

i personally think penn st got the best draws

Redshirt

I think that these draws give the Iowa wrestlers a chance to wrestle above their seeds in many cases. I have great confidence in them and Brands. They will be ready for the challenge.

I honestly think the seeding putting them in a disadvantage to repeat as National Champions. I think overall those are some really tough draws.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I honestly think the seeding putting them in a disadvantage to repeat as National Champions. I think overall those are some really tough draws.
    I agree but I think they will rise to the challenge. Keep the faith!

World Champ

If the Hawks wanted better draws, they should have wrestled better early in the season. This is what happens in a rebuilding year. We'll take what we can get and move forward.

Quentin Wright, David Taylor and Cam Wade had far from good draws. Wade has Jack Hammer then Nelson.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.