Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Iowa's Draw

Default Re: Thoughts on Iowa's Draw

Yeah, we're going to see what Wright follows up his Big Ten performance with, he may have "peaked" a couple weeks early. We will also get to see what Taylor is made of long before the finals.

Redshirt

I was reading The Open Mat and found the following "Is it just us or was it obvious that this was the first year that the Big 10 did not have a representative on the panel?"
    Does anyone else think that overall the Big 10 got the shaft?

I have to think that way Cpeake. It makes no sense to me that the conference with the most qualifiers doesn't have a voice in that meeting.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I don't think it's some kind of conspiracy against Iowa, but I do think that a lot of people that govern the sport and have big voices and influence in the sport want to see Cornell, Rutgers Va. Tech ect. dethrone Iowa and continue to do so. So I do think that a Big Ten Rep. not being in the meeting may have been by design.

Redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes2 View Post
    I don't think it's some kind of conspiracy against Iowa, but I do think that a lot of people that govern the sport and have big voices and influence in the sport want to see Cornell, Rutgers Va. Tech ect. dethrone Iowa and continue to do so. So I do think that a Big Ten Rep. not being in the meeting may have been by design.
    Perhaps so, I know that the wrestling world would like to broaden the base of support for wrestling, but is this the way to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes2 View Post
    If people wanted to see Cornell win, they certainly didn't show it in the seedings. Grey getting the 8 seed (Devin Carter then if he wins, JO) is lower than most people had him going. I realize he missed most of the season but it's not like he's some unproven guy.

Kerber surely could have been higher than 9. He has been in the top 5 pretty much all year with plenty of quality wins. He was hurt at EIWAs and inj defaulted but his season as a whole (30-4) should have yielded a higher seed.

Dake at 4 has been discussed and still makes no sense whatsoever.

Add to it DJ Meagher (a 10-14 ranked guy most of the year who beat seeded Peppelman 9-3 last weekend) getting Adam Hall in the first round and Cornell's path is much tougher than I would have imagined a few weeks ago. I think both Penn State and Iowa got better draws, certainly Penn State.

Certainly Penn State got better draws than Iowa and Cornell did as well based on their performance and strength of schedule. Iowa got OK seeds too, but some of their draws are brutal especially at 133 and 197.

Either way, whoever wins this is going to earn it and nothing is a given come NCAA tournament time. Who knows, maybe Kennedy loses first round like 2 years ago, and Russell poops his pants like his first two years and Marion waltzes into the finals and whips Thorns butt and thats the difference in the NCAA tournament champ. I sure hope so.

I agree. Looking at Wisconsin and Iowa in particular they both got screwed.

What is with all this whining from Hawkeye fans...I thought whoever ended up facing an Iowa wrestler was the one with the bad draw!