Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirk Smith Story = Troy Letters Story

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Default Kirk Smith Story = Troy Letters Story

As a true fan and wrestler for life.... this story hurts (kind of like the Sara Mclaughlin dog commercials for normal people). I know how it feels to work so hard for something and come up short. In this case....not only is the hard work there, but the health is not. Knowing its your last shot, you go to the gunfight anyway with no bullets.

You go knowing you're going to get shot. This is a person who very rarely ever loses a match. This person is willing to step on stage in front of the world of wrestling and lose. They'd rather take the public loss to a lesser wrestler, than say they didn't wrestle their last match.

I just hope people give Kirk the credit many gave Troy Letters.

(Note: Not even sure Kirk is wrestling....but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He lived this pain at conferences as well)
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Default Re: Kirk Smith Story = Troy Letters Story

My wife cries during that freaking commercial....We now have to change the channel when it comes on.

It is sad to see Smith go out this way. I feel confident Kirk Smith last year wins this weight easily.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

My wife makes me turn the channel too.

I will always think of Kirk as a great wrestler. I had the fortune of having him on my record setting fantasy team last year, so I followed him even closer than usual. To see him go out limping hurts me, for him. But that's the way it happens for some. Sucks, but it's life. Kirk is a warior and won't go down without a battle. I don't know the extent of his injuries but I hope he gets a chance to leave his shoes on the mat.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

Yeah, but at least Letters got an NCAA championship. I think Smith would have been a big favorite had he been healthy this year, and even though I'm supposed to hate Boise State, I respect them a lot and feel bad for him.
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"

It was painful just to watch his last 2 matches (Perry and Pac-10's). He looked in such pain, and even the sounds he was making, while never once asking for an injury timeout (when he really should have against Perry for sure). I'm hoping Kirk will be Boise State's version of Willis Reed come NCAA's leading us to a NCAA title (I know I'm probably grasping a bit here). I have some serious questions and doubts, but it would be a better ending than what we saw at the Pac-10's. I'm guessing if he can give it a go, he will get an at-large bid and leave it all on the mat. If he is not able to even go in the wrestling room, I'm kinda hoping he stays home. I don't really want to see another match like the Pac-10s. It hard to imagine the amount of work this guy (and many others) have put in, only to be denied by an injury.

I always have to physically kick my damned cat out of the way to actually see the tv to see that commercial!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    i always have to physically kick my damned cat out of the way to actually see the tv to see that commercial!
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I had the fortune of having him on my record setting fantasy team last year, so I followed him even closer than usual.
    I'm sure that softens the blow for him.

In all seriousness, what a terrible way to end your career. He's sacrificed the majority of his free time in pursuit of a goal and now it's all taken away from him. Good call by Grips on the Troy Letters thing - I remember watching him just hoping he wouldn't hurt himself further.

There's always Olympics, Pan Am games, coaching but I know what you are saying. I would put him on my "All-Warrior" team as well with Kish and a few others.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."