Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on attending the Big 10s

Default Thoughts on attending the Big 10s

First of all, Welsh-Ryan is a fine venue. There was adequate and close parking. All of the seats were good, except for the reserved seats down low, because signs blocked the view. Unlike Minny, NW did not put the mats up on a stage.......minor point though. Good restaurants within walking distance and hotels were plentiful and cheap(I discovered Priceline!!)

All the fans seemed to be enjoying themselves, including Iowans. There was not as much of the pro and anti Iowa stuff that I've seen in the past although I did see some tacky teeshirts that said on the back: "It's ok, we hate you too."

125 Great match with McD and Precin. They kept after it and once McD got his TD in the 3rd, he planted Precin and the match was essentially over with. I could see Precin winning the rematch which will probably be in the NCAA semi-finals. They are well matched.
    133. Wrestlers are on to Graff's movement, and he had difficulty scoring from his feet the entire tourny. Hitting Long headon is like hitting a brick wall. Long was dominent during the entire Tourny and he could have easily gotten the OW award. I don't see Graff beating him. He and Oliver will be a contrast in styles. Long, Ramos, Graff and Futrell all will AA
    141 Russell is strong, flexible and has unerring instincts on the mat. Thorn was his usual aggressive self and seem to have the first TD in the bag..but didn't. Russell just doesn't seem to make mistake. Thorn's match against Marion was the most exciting of the Tourny. Thorn pulled a Ness; down by 5-2, he escaped and then got a TD with no time left and then got another in OT. Those guys don't like each other at all. They got into a staring contest before the match and Marion looked away first. Kennedy was also impressive, in fact I can see KR, MT, JK and MM going 1-4 in NCAA with AA placing as well. Alton has been pretty well figured out by those 4.
    149. Frank the tank didn't have a point scored on him in 3 matches; amazingly flexible for a short, stocky guy. I was happy to see Grajales in the finals. Frank and Grajales showed a great deal of respect for each other after the match. Both should AA..........after them, not sure. Clearly, Schmitt is having post surgery recovery issues.
    157 I don't see DT losing at NCAAs. St. John really came to wrestle though and did a great job. He got the opening TD and really had to work for it. Both looked as though, they were going to score back points but didn't. 8-3 was closest match the DT has had all year and only second non bonus point win.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Default Re: Thoughts on attending the Big 10s

165 Howe won with a major, a fall and 2 OTs. Doesn't look the same as last year. Didn't seem to be as much hand fighting and pummelling. But, in his first match back after what...6 weeks, he won his 3rd Big 10 Title. Not too shabby. Sponsellor looked good as did Janssen who lost to Howe in OT and then beat Yohn for 3rd in OT. Howe and Sponsellor AA(finally for Sponsellor) and maybe Janssen and/or Yohn.
    174 Ruth had a close semi match Lofthouse.....3-2. Ruth has shot at top 3 and Lofthouse gets better and better. Not sure about Hefling. He won 2-1 and 2-1 in ot to get to finals. Glasser was Glasser.....lost to Jordan 5-4 and then beats Jordan for 5th 6-1 getting a fall, a 9-3 win and a 3-6 loss to Lofthouse between them.
    184 two different Rutts showed up. Saturday's Rutt and Sunday's Rutt. He lost to Q 3-4 in a match that Q deserved to win although some Sconny fans thought that Rutt got screwed out of a TD. The ref called it and the match judge talked the ref out of it.........don't know how that happens. Rutt then wins 9-0 and 1-0 to finish Saturdy. Sunday he pins Gambrell and takes 3rd by 6-0 score. Wright wrestled out of his mind.........saw some neat freestyle moves. Glad he seems to be putting his season together at right time. Q, Rutt, Steinhaus and maybe Gambrall AA. Gambrall makes freshman mistakes as he did against Rutt. Steinhaus doesn't(so far)
    197 Contrary to what some Iowans seem to think, Branvold beat Lofthouse with strength,timing and finesse. Lofthouse was pretty much uncontrolled aggression which was not effective against Branvold. He wasn't stalling...he was frustrating Lofthouse because nothing Lofthouse did made a bit of difference to him; he simply sucked in the aggression and turned it into 2 tDS. Loft house had a great tourny however and that aggression will make him an AA for sure. Not many guys are going to stand up against it. I thought that his match against Logan Brown was going to be a close brawl; brown won the brawling but Lofthouse won the wrestling 9-3. At the end, it looked as though the Iowa bench wanted to address some bleeding issues and he shook them off and went back outto the center of the mat finish off Brown.
    Powless looked good after getting upset in his first match by Dickensen 7-4. He won 4 straight and returned the favor to Dickensen in the 3rd place match beating Yohn 3-2 in the meantime. I don't know what to think of Yohn he beat brown 3-2 for 5th. He lost in semis to Branvold 3-2, but the 2 was meaningless as he scored as time ran out; Branvold dominated the match. Branvold top 3 and Powless and Lofthouse AA and maybe Yohn as well.
    285. Wade had worst toury of any first seed.............and also the best. He lost to Nelson 3-0 in semis and then again to Bug 4-3; but then he scored a major in the 5th place match to earn the extra team point that PSU needed to win the Tourny. Rasing wrestles under control and has a good gastank. Given the state of the ht ranks, Rasing, Nelson, Bug, Wade could all AA....or none of them. Accala was second seed and only won the 7th place match, where he looked very good.

Most surprising wrestlers: Q, Bug and Nelson
    Most outstanding performances: DT, Long, McD and Russell
    Most exciting moment: Thorn over MM
    Warrior awards: Vollrath and LeBlanc who went 13 minutes of exciting, non-stop wrestling and scored a TOTAL of only 6 points. Vollrath final won with more RT. Those guys got a well-deserved ovation when they finished. It also gave PSU the points that it needed to win as it turned out.

Great meet!!!

I heard DT is moving up to 165 next year and they said he will no loger wrestle 157. Anybody have thoughts on this? Convenient for him Burroughs will be graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by tloger View Post
    I heard DT is moving up to 165 next year and they said he will no loger wrestle 157. Anybody have thoughts on this? Convenient for him Burroughs will be graduated.
    Taylor vs Howe might be the biggest contrast of styles ever. I think Taylor would have major problems with Howe, and I'd have to favor Howe at this point.

I'm a Howe/Sconny fan. I thought that Howe would beat Burroughs. After seeing DT wrestle this weekend, I think that everyone will have problems with HIS style. I think that he is the second coming of Cael and I NEVER though that I'd see another Cael!

If they were to wrestle Burroughs vs. Taylor, I really believe that Burroughs would handle him, too much of a strength differential. Technically Taylor is better, but i have a hard time seeing him keeping his holds on Burroughs.

I too was at the Big 10s. Chicago is a great location for that tournament, but that is a horrible arena. I have been in high school arenas that are nicer.
    The tournament was great. The big 10 has some fantastic freshmen. I am a Wisconsin fan but I have to admit that Ruth and Taylor are a lot of fun to watch. First time I have seen Jimmy Kennedy this year. and I was very impressed. I think he could win the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by tloger View Post
    If they were to wrestle Burroughs vs. Taylor, I really believe that Burroughs would handle him, too much of a strength differential. Technically Taylor is better, but i have a hard time seeing him keeping his holds on Burroughs.
    Yes I agree here. Burroughs is too strong for Taylor RIGHT NOW, next year is probably another story. As of now it is somewhat man vs boy but give Taylor a year...not so sure. And while I think that DT has a wider arsenal of technique, I think that Burroughs' doubles are technically close to perfect, blindingly fast, and are the most devastating move out of anything these two have.

Taylor vs Howe is very difficult for me to visualize right now. I will have to think about that match up for a while.

While I am thinking of it, moving Taylor up looks like it opens up a spot for D. Alton. So, where does everyone go from there? 141-AA, 149-DA, leaving Molinaro at 157? Could that possibly work?

Rumor is that Andrew Alton might redshirt next year. Personally I had always run under the assumption that if they squeeze Dylan into the line up next year it'll be at 157.

Taylor has apparently told people that he won't be a 157 next year, and while looking at him now he'd obviously get horsed with a whole summer to add even more weight to his frame while you'd probably have to favor Howe initially I'd be hard pressed to doubt him against anyone else at the weight.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12