Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

Default Re: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    QW has given no indication of improvement since he came back from injury.

If anything he has looked worse as the season has gone on. I'm doubting very seriously he is capable of a high placement at Big 10s.
    Vais--You may well be right (no pun intended). But Quentin did beat Hinton 14-1 (the #4 seed) a few weeks back and was showing good comeback with a takedown and seeking to turn Rutt when he put himself in a position to be pinned (and was). His performance has been very disappointing. I have no idea how his personal issues are playing out and that obviously is a big factor in his performance. We'll soon know though!

Default Re: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Vais--You may well be right (no pun intended). But Quentin did beat Hinton 14-1 (the #4 seed) a few weeks back and was showing good comeback with a takedown and seeking to turn Rutt when he put himself in a position to be pinned (and was). His performance has been very disappointing. I have no idea how his personal issues are playing out and that obviously is a big factor in his performance. We'll soon know though!
    You won't ever find me questioning Quentins talent. In fantasy wrestling(not that you care at all) I took him with my 2nd overall pick, and have had him all year. He's gone from mildly disappointing(loses to Hamlin, beats Rinaldi in OT) to a shell of his former self(getting wrecked by GG, stuck by Rutt, and pissing a match away. w/ Dallago) He looks desperate and lacking in confidence. Either he's not over the injury(though he lost the shoulder brace which makes me wonder) or theres some mental issues going on. I think he can beat anyone but Rutt at Big 10s if he's on.

I've not gotten rid of him because I still believe he can turn it around at conferences(like he did as a true freshmen) but I think it's more hope on my part than anything rooted in facts.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    You won't ever find me questioning Quentins talent. In fantasy wrestling(not that you care at all) I took him with my 2nd overall pick, and have had him all year. He's gone from mildly disappointing(loses to Hamlin, beats Rinaldi in OT) to a shell of his former self(getting wrecked by GG, stuck by Rutt, and pissing a match away. w/ Dallago) He looks desperate and lacking in confidence. Either he's not over the injury(though he lost the shoulder brace which makes me wonder) or there's some mental issues going on. I think he can beat anyone but Rutt at Big 10s if he's on.

I've not gotten rid of him because I still believe he can turn it around at conferences(like he did as a true freshmen) but I think it's more hope on my part than anything rooted in facts.
    I agree with just about everything you said. You are right re mental issues. His personal life has been effecting him. He has beaten Borschel & Lewnes in the past. Everyone else in Happy Valley is hoping too. I am hoping that the urgency of qualifying for the NCAAs will kick that back into gear.

2 big factors to me are whether Howe & Sonny Yohn will be wrestling & how effective they will they be if they do.

As far as other injured wrestlers go, Pataky will be there for PSU. A healthy Pataky has been capable of beating Sanders. Brandvold appears to be fine after being out awhile in January.

Also Sponseller is 8-1 since his major dec loss to Taylor, with wins over Janssen, Polz & Cody Yohn. The move up 165 seems to have done the trick for him. He is 0-3 vs Howe with a combined score of 13-8. Will he be able to beat an injured Howe or will Howe Med FFT somewhere just to get into the NCAAs?

@ 174 I don't know why Heflin 8-3 vs B10 opponents ahead of Glasser who is 7-3 vs B10 opps with a win over Heflin. 74 is definitely weaker without Blanton.

This from another PSU buddy:
    Awarding 1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd 10 for NR (avg. of 9, 10, and 11,) the 11 teams' seeding would rank:

1. Iowa - 3.5
    2. Penn State - 4.2
    3. Minnesota - 4.5
    4. Wisconsin - 4.8
    5. Michigan - 5.9
    6. NW - 6.4
    7. Indiana - 6.7
    8. Illinois - 6.9
    9. Purdue - 7.1
    10. Ohio State - 7.7
    11. Michigan State - 8.3

Biondo is #11 in the Nation and gets -deservedly- a 6th seed. Powless leads the nation at 97 in wins and gets the 4 seed-a tough class.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Biondo is #11 in the Nation and gets -deservedly- a 6th seed. Powless leads the nation at 97 in wins and gets the 4 seed-a tough class.
    More deep than tough. 2 AA's among them.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    Not to mention how badly Steinhaus wrecked him.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Not to mention how badly Steinhaus wrecked him.
    I knew there was another really bad match for Q. Getting to be too many to keep track of.

Steinhaus has been very fun to watch this year and I think he's got a great career in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Interesting match ups for PSU based upon the pre seeds

Pataky vs McD in the semis

It seems that the B10 is looking at what I was looking at & that is the entire B10 record & overall record. Based upon that Long has one defeat, Graff 2 & Ramos 3. Long will get Futrell again in the semis & then the Graff-Ramos winner in the finals. Graff-Ramos will be great to see.

Alton will have to face Kennedy in the Quarters. His reward for winning that? A 4th match vs Russell! And if he can get to the finals a rematch vs Thorn or Marion. But we knew this...All 5 could be in the quarters & meet again @ the NCAAs.

Frank will have to face the kid who gave him the hardest time all year in Zilverberg as an 8th seed.

Looks like a DSJ rematch in the finals.

No matter who we put in there they will have to face Howe in the quarters & avoid getting decked. Then an uphill battle in the wrestle backs to get a trip to the NCAAs.

Ruth looks like he will have to face the one kid he didn't all year in Heflin.

Quentin will have to go through Rutt in the quarters in order to get anywhere which he is capable of doing. I think somewhere this weekend we will see the Q we know probably in the wrestle backs on his way to a 3rd or 4th place & a trip to the NCAAs where he has a great chance to redeem his season.

I expect Ruggear to go 1-2 or 2-2. If he can sneak into 7th ot 8th that will be a bonus for PSU.

Cam will have to face the Nelson-Apland winner in the semis. This actually has me concerned. Call it a hunch but I worried that he goes down here & ends up 3rd. Might cost PSU a shot @ the team championship after a year of coming through in the clutch several times this year.

Pataky, Alton & Wright are all capable of wrestling above their seeds. If Cam can over one of 2 kids who gave him problems last time out & one of those 3 can get above their seed, PSU has a chance to win their 1st B10 team title.
    KR-
    Who do you see Ruggear beating ? His closest loss was 2-5 to Dickenson from MSU-he has been majored ,TF'd or stuck by everyone else in the big 10-Schoen ? Maybe -but doubtful..