Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Midlands Wrestling Tournament Results/Brackets/Discussion

Default Re: midlands

I am excited to see more top teams back at Midlands, and I'm over the moon about getting to see my Tigers there. The Scuffle was fine, but Terp's right, without Shifflet, it doesn't seem to be quite as exciting. And, there is no better place in December than Chicago, right? It's a whole 11 degrees here today!

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingTerp View Post
    The Southern Scuffle filled a void that still exists with Midlands. Teams and individuals need to be "invited" to Midlands, meaning they often can't bring their entire team. Plus the Scuffle allowed a certain number of redshirts to come along too.

The Scuffle is/was a great event in a more moderate climate. However Tom Shifflet provided much of the energy for the Scuffle, and that energy seems to have waned since he left. The Scuffle also is not necessarily the same weekend as Midlands, but is held on December 29 and 30 every year, which sometimes is the same weekend, or perhaps Sunday and Monday.

Having said that, the University of Maryland will be at the Midlands this year. The advantage to us with the new qualification system is that we have the opportunity to see other wrestlers. We saw a lot of the same guys at the Scuffle.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I actually didn't know that the Midlands was an invite.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. I actually didn't know that the Midlands was an invite.
    The Scuffle allows/ed each team to bring I think 15 wrestlers, of which a couple could be redshirts. Maryland had to get confirmation in advance that we could bring our entire squad this year to the Midlands. Otherwise we would probably have gone to the Scuffle again. A lot of coaches would rather have an entire team travel together than break up the "haves" from the "have nots."

But I do think the Scuffle is falling off a bit. I've attended all of them, until this year, so the teams blend together over the years. But in the past the enitre ACC and Southern Conference teams were there, a lot of EIWA teams (Cornell, Navy, Lehigh), CAA (Hofstra, George Mason), and MAC teams (Ohio, Kent). Ohio State, Missouri, Minnesota, Boise State, Cal State Bakersfield and Stanford in the past.
    Last year your Northern Iowa guys.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingTerp View Post
    Last year your Northern Iowa guys.
    UNI has never wrestled at the Scuffle. They are die hards for the Midlands.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Here is a link to the teams that will be competing at Midlands. "Terp", red-shirts are allowed to compete at Midlands too.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...landsTeams.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BARR View Post
    Here is a link to the teams that will be competing at Midlands. "Terp", red-shirts are allowed to compete at Midlands too.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...landsTeams.pdf
    Of course redshirts can compete at Midlands. I guess you missed my point about requiring invitations.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    UNI has never wrestled at the Scuffle. They are die hards for the Midlands.
    ban: you're right. I was confused (which happens a lot anymore) because UNI was in the same hotel at the NCAAs that I was in. Things just blend together after awhile......

Very much looking forward to Mizzou's studs getting a crack at Iowa's. Borschel/Jordan and Morningstar/Marable in particular.

I'll be very interested to see how Marable ends up this year. He could end up at the top of the podium but could miss the podium.