Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best 2011 RS Freshmen

Default Re: Best 2011 RS Freshmen

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    He's taking classes at a local community college, so he's not enrolled at Cornell yet. Ivy League rules still allow him to train with the team though.
    That is blatant skirting of their own rules. They should either really stick to their rules or just get off their high horse and admit they are doing the same thing as the other big time athletic programs.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    That is blatant skirting of their own rules. They should either really stick to their rules or just get off their high horse and admit they are doing the same thing as the other big time athletic programs.
    Who says they're on a high horse? I don't know why you guys mistake a couple fringe Cornell wrestling fans as representing the program itself. This stuff isn't exactly a secret, Koll is perfectly open about the way he runs his program. The unique challenge that Cornell faces, along with other top schools, is the academic rigor that their wrestlers have to deal with while training multiple times a day. Koll has done a great job recruiting athletes who can handle both, so you can criticize their Ag School loopholes or whatever else, but can anyone point to an example of a Cornell wrestler struggling in school? It happens at far less academically challenging wrestling programs all the time, so Koll must be doing something right. I'm not even a Cornell fan, I just don't understand why people have to be either with them or against them.

Do you think Bobby Tedford can beat out Raising next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I agree that Ness will be a good one next year but if I was a Minnesota fan I wouldnt hold my breath on too many of the other prospects. We've seen too many of them transfer and never wrestle for the gophers recently to count anyone as a lock for greatness in brown and yellow.
    Name one recent recruit to either transfer or not wrestle who was predicted to be really good other than Mason, Geiger, Disney, Deitchler, Lehmann...Nevermind!

I have a feeling Ness will stick around and be pretty darn good in "brown & yellow".

Who says they're on a high horse? I don't know why you guys mistake a couple fringe Cornell wrestling fans as representing the program itself. This stuff isn't exactly a secret, Koll is perfectly open about the way he runs his program. The unique challenge that Cornell faces, along with other top schools, is the academic rigor that their wrestlers have to deal with while training multiple times a day. Koll has done a great job recruiting athletes who can handle both, so you can criticize their Ag School loopholes or whatever else, but can anyone point to an example of a Cornell wrestler struggling in school? It happens at far less academically challenging wrestling programs all the time, so Koll must be doing something right. I'm not even a Cornell fan, I just don't understand why people have to be either with them or against them.
    I am not criticizing Cornell's wrestling program, but you must not know that many Ivy Leaguers if you do not think they are set themselves apart from the rest of DI athletics. And I am not necessarily buying that their academics rigors are tougher than a student at a Big Ten college with a challenging major and I cant believe they compare at all to a wrestler competing for Army or Navy.

You mean to say Marshall Peppelman, Walter is his older brother at Harvard. Marshall had the better high school career so I'm sure that Cornell expects him to be a good one.
    Walter went 3-2-1-2 and Marshall went 2-1-1-1. Pretty freaking impressive.

And I am not necessarily buying that their academics rigors are tougher than a student at a Big Ten college with a challenging major and I cant believe they compare at all to a wrestler competing for Army or Navy.
    I never said that Cornell requires more work than Army/Navy or a Big 10 student with a tough major, nor do I believe that. Was my statement inaccurate that they don't seem to have academic issues considering their athletes have a relatively challenging curriculum compared to almost all other wrestlers in competitive wrestling programs?

I am not criticizing Cornell's wrestling program, but you must not know that many Ivy Leaguers if you do not think they are set themselves apart from the rest of DI athletics.
    Haha, yes I do know many people who went to Ivy League schools, and some of them wrestled. Again, I'm not sure what that has to do with the Cornell wrestling program being on a high horse. So some Ivy Leaguers whine about how they have disadvantages to major athletic programs, have you ever heard Koll or a Cornell wrestling coach or even Cornell athlete say this? If not, then your original statement doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler2400 View Post
    Do you think Bobby Tedford can beat out Raising next year?
    Yes
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by yoces51 View Post
    Name one recent recruit to either transfer or not wrestle who was predicted to be really good other than Mason, Geiger, Disney, Deitchler, Lehmann...Nevermind!

I have a feeling Ness will stick around and be pretty darn good in "brown & yellow".
    Marcus LeVasseur