Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornell heading into the big dance

Default Cornell heading into the big dance

Every year, Cornell seems to have a unique situation in that at the end of the year, their schedule for the most part actually gets much easier for them, as opposed to every one of the other teams contending for the nat'l championship, it without a doubt turns into a hell of a grind.

But, does it help them? It is without a doubt a nice break for Cornell to have a schedule with Brown, Columbia, Harvard, etc., followed by their conf. tournament that they destroy. But does it actually hurt them not to have to face the toughest teams at end of the year duals and conference tourneys? On the opposite side of the coin, it is fair for Cornell to qualify basically their entire team for the big tourney just because they are facing inferior opponents?

Redshirt

Default Re: Cornell heading into the big dance

Yes, I think it hurts them. Great teams have tought schedules and beat major opponents. My thinking is that Cornell will not win the NCAA Tournament because they do not wrestle quality opponents all year long. Steel sharpens steel...

I'm not a Cornell fan, but I think they're looking good going into the NCAA's. Every team gets dinged up during a tough season and it can only help them to have a few easier matches towards the end. The EIWA's is not the Big 10, but there are challenging matches in it. Look what they did last year with their schedule--ended up #2. With the injuries they've had earlier this season I think their schedule serves them well heading into the NCAA's. It should be quite a battle for the team title this year with at least 4-5 teams having a legitimate shot at the title!

World Champ

Seems like Cornell falls apart at tourney time. While Oklahoma State is battling at Bedlam, and Iowa is going toe-to-toe with Minnesota, Cornell is beating up on Princeton and Columbia. Steel DOES sharpen steel.
    Also seems like Cornell gets more than its share of injuries, too.

Hey OF & GBR I am surprised you guys missed this:

At Cornell, fund-raising just as important to wrestling as mat work - Philly.com

ITHACA, N.Y. - The likelihood that Cornell would ever be home to the nation's best wrestling team once seemed as remote as the Ivy League school's Central New York campus, perched like a Brigadoon above Lake Cayuga's sparsely populated and piney shores.
    Not so many years ago, Cornell's program, like so many others in a challenging post-Title IX landscape, was battling for its life. It had one tattered mat, few supporters, and no dedicated gym. On road trips, its athletes frequently slept on cots in the homes of parents and alumni. And far from competing with the Iowas and Oklahoma/ States, the Big Red often got whipped by Division III opponents....(MORE THROUGH THE LINK ABOVE)

Redshirt

As an Iowa fan, I am happy to say that Cornell is a welcome addition as a superior wrestling school. I think it is good for wrestling to see a strong wrestling program on the East Coast. That said, good teams can wrestle good schedules. Great programs repeatedly schedule the toughest teams to keep themselves above the hedgerow of mediocrity. For example the football programs at Florida, Ohio State, USC, etc. Always the toughest teams/every year...

Quote Originally Posted by cpeake7 View Post
    As an Iowa fan, I am happy to say that Cornell is a welcome addition as a superior wrestling school. I think it is good for wrestling to see a strong wrestling program on the East Coast. That said, good teams can wrestle good schedules. Great programs repeatedly schedule the toughest teams to keep themselves above the hedgerow of mediocrity. For example the football programs at Florida, Ohio State, USC, etc. Always the toughest teams/every year...
    cpeake--Was your last line tongue in cheek? I'm thinking it was (bigtime football programs are notorious for scheduling patsy non-conference games--PSU included). The Big 10, Big 5 have tough wrestling duals as part of their conference. Cornell doesn't, so it has to schedule tough out of conference matches. I'm not sure it was the most demanding schedule, but they did compete in the challenging Southern Scuffle and won the tough National Duals. If I were a Cornell fan, with everyone now healthy, I would be feeling pretty good heading into the NCAA's. I don't think anyone has a better shot at the title than they do with their lineup.

OldFart: I think to an extent that the light schedule might hurt Cornell, but really only for EIWAs. While they will win their conference, they will be challenged at every weight. None of their guys will win without facing other top flight competition. Honestly I think it's a good way to ease into NCAA's. You can shake off the rust at conferences and a slip up won't cost you a spot at the dance in all likelihood. EIWA is a tough conference and while there are some really bad teams, there are some strong teams and talented individuals.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    Seems like Cornell falls apart at tourney time.
    I'd love for you to document when this has happened in the past, which years has Cornell "fallen apart" come tourney time?

As far as Cornell's cumulative schedule they've been to Vegas, been to the Scuffle, been to National Duals (which a certain other team didn't go to), and had other duals with Central Michigan, Lehigh, and Iowa State.

I'd say that is a tough enough schedule for what they're trying to do.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12