Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cornell heading into the big dance

Redshirt

Default Re: Cornell heading into the big dance

True, but I'm sure you would agree that OSU's overall schedule is tougher. Once again I think that strong wrestling schools on the East Coast and Southeast are a very needed, positive and welcome additions to wrestling. Virginia Tech is my number two school behind Iowa. In response to earlier comments on my suggestions, yes they were unrealistic, just thinking outside of the box and enjoying the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by cpeake7 View Post
    True, but I'm sure you would agree that OSU's overall schedule is tougher. Once again I think that strong wrestling schools on the East Coast and Southeast are a very needed, positive and welcome additions to wrestling. Virginia Tech is my number two school behind Iowa. In response to earlier comments on my suggestions, yes they were unrealistic, just thinking outside of the box and enjoying the conversation.
    How dare you enjoy yourself!! Haven't you been reading posts on here lately? It's kill or be killed!

Just kidding!! Nobody is arguing that the end of the year is easier for them as compared to other top programs. I started the thread wondering if it actually hurts them that it is so easy. The answer to this could go either way but I think vais' answer was likely the "most true".

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    You can't include Ohio State in that group this year, they are pathetic.
    This brings up the crux of my argument. When Cornell was trying to schedule Ohio state they probalby were in the midst of their back to back runner up finish and strong season last year. They're awful this year. Who can possibly predict when a team will fall off the map like that? Cornell can't be punished for the fact that Ohio state went from elite to strong to dismal in the span of 2 years.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

We think alike my good man I love Hawks first and Hokies 2nd. Will you be at ACC's Saturday?

Redshirt

Sounds like a plan, would you like to meet somewhere?

haha, i'll be on press row doing a blog for TOM with my buddy.

Another from last year u might have missed

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    You can't include Ohio State in that group this year, they are pathetic.
    Gopher u & I both know that OSU over the past 3 years has had a good run @ the NCAAs. When they made the schedules for the National Duals you don't know who is gonna suck a few years ahead of time.

True, but I'm sure you would agree that OSU's overall schedule is tougher.
    That's just not true this season. Oklahoma State has had a pretty comparable dual schedule to Cornell's, they both wrestled a number of tough dual squads and both competed at the National Duals with Cornell winning it. This particular year the 2nd best dual team from the EIWA, Lehigh, is better than the 2nd best dual team from Big 12, Oklahoma, call that a wash though since it depends on the year. The main difference in their dual schedules is that the Cowboys wrestled Iowa (who Cornell wrestled last year in Nat Dual finals, no way of knowing they wouldn't return). On the other hand, Cornell competed at the Body Bar, Cliff Keen Las Vegas and the Southern Scuffle. Oklahoma State had only two regular tournaments: the renowned Oklahoma City Open and the increasingly weak Kaufman-Brand Open. Overall, Cornell had a tougher schedule this season. Maybe OSU will have a slightly tougher schedule next season, the point is that both squads wrestle plenty of excellent teams year in and year out. The idea that Cornell underachieves at NCAAs because of their Ivy League schedule to end the dual season is also simply not supported by evidence. In fact, it's one of Koll's distinctive coaching tactics to make sure that his wrestlers are 100% going into EIWA's and it has worked pretty well for them. Maybe it works better for other teams to do the opposite, there's no universal rule.