Thread: CAL Ful ==GONE

Default CAL Ful ==GONE

Here is the official letter from the Director of Athletics

August 17, 2010
    To: Wrestling Student-Athletes
    Re: Wrestling Program

I regret to inform you that, upon the completion of the 2010-11 season the wrestling program will be
    discontinued. The action is taken as a cost-reduction measure and part of an overall strategic plan
    to stabilize the budget. The State budget crisis has had a very large impact on our campus, as well as
    within the entire CSU system. We have had serious reductions in our budget and have had to increase
    our revenues substantially to remain competitive.

Cal State Fullerton is fully committed to success within the Big West Conference and to provide the best
    student-athlete experience possible. As a committed member we must adhere to strict requirements
    for sports offered and minimum scholarship requirements. With the economic climate we are stretched
    to meet these minimum standards and must find ways to remain competitive and fiscally responsible.
    Many institutions have had to eliminate sports programs. In the West alone, the University of Oregon,
    Portland State University, and UC Davis have all recently dropped wrestling. Cal State Fullerton, rather
    than discontinuing the program immediately as most schools have done nationally, made a decision to
    try and continue the program through external funding. We were able to do this for two years, keeping
    student-athletes on scholarship and paying the salaries and benefits of the coaches. Unfortunately we
    were not able to meet our goal this year.

I want to thank Coach Hicks and Coach Marttinen for their tireless efforts and passion for their program
    and to each of the student-athletes. They did whatever they could to raise sufficient funds to keep the
    program going.

The University can no longer subsidize any shortfalls and must continue to find viable solutions to
    remaining competitive in the Big West Conference, graduating our student-athletes and balancing our
    budget.

We are granting an immediate blanket transfer to any other institution. Any questions or concerns
    about transferring should be addressed to Julie Bowse, Associate Athletics Director, or Ike Ukaegbu
    in the Compliance Office. All wrestling student-athletes who were on athletic scholarships prior to
    2010-11 will have their grants continued until their eligibility ends, if they choose to remain at Cal State
    Fullerton. All incoming wrestling student-athletes on athletic scholarships will receive their grant for
    the 2010-11 year if they choose to remain. The most important thing is our commitment to help you
    complete your degree. You will still have full access to the Student-Athlete Academic Services if you
    choose to remain at Cal State Fullerton. wrestling letter.doc - Powered by Google Docs
    Download (97K) Print (1 page)Plain HTMLEdit OnlineSave in Goog

Default Re: CAL Ful ==GONE

Budget cuts...

At first, I thought I might rant for a while about the state of things but I think we all have an idea of what is beginning to happen in our world right now. At least we will ALWAYS be able to watch football, whether we may or may not give much of a shit about it.

Another one bites the dust I guess.

Look at the date on the letter. This is a six-month-old letter, and I believe they were given the opportunity to raise the future money. If I am mistaken, please send the Pony Express to my house!

As an old fart, I await said express eagerly...

So, any updates?