Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rather than face girl, Iowa HS wrestler defaults

Default Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa HS wrestler defaults

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I'm with you Chocell. Wrestling is not a co-ed sport.
    I dunno my gf seems to like it...

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    I dunno my gf seems to like it...
    You're talking about a different kind of wrestling!

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    You're talking about a different kind of wrestling!
    Ah...oh!

I dont have a problem with girls wrestling but I don think I would let my daughter wrestle. There is a chance for some inappropriate action by the male competitor, and I could really do nothing about it if it was within the rules. Right now we have a boy and his family suing over a butt drag, what happens with a young girl who get the same move put on her.

In the end I leave the decision up to my wrestlers and their parents as to whether or not they would wrestle a girl.

The great thing about wrestling is that all kids can take part in it. I was always small for my size - too little for football, too short for basketball - but wrestling. There I could wrestle guys my own size and weight. We've seen kids like Anthony Robles kick ass, and here in Arkansas we have a young kid with no legs and only one arm - yet he's an absolute stud on the mats. We also have several girl wrestlers. Some of which are darned good. My brother and I watched a match the other day between a boy who was really built who then wrestled a girl - a friend of his - who used a great defense to stave off his leg attacks. I was impressed. All of this is to say: with Title Nine hanging over our necks, how can we NOT point to the fact that wrestling is the great all-inclusive sport? The one sport where everyone has a chance as long as they bring courage and heart to the mats. I say that kid in Iowa better get used to it. This is the twenty-first century and it's time to man-up and hit the mats - no matter who your opponent is.

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by german663 View Post
    The great thing about wrestling is that all kids can take part in it. I was always small for my size - too little for football, too short for basketball - but wrestling. There I could wrestle guys my own size and weight. We've seen kids like Anthony Robles kick ass, and here in Arkansas we have a young kid with no legs and only one arm - yet he's an absolute stud on the mats. We also have several girl wrestlers. Some of which are darned good. My brother and I watched a match the other day between a boy who was really built who then wrestled a girl - a friend of his - who used a great defense to stave off his leg attacks. I was impressed. All of this is to say: with Title Nine hanging over our necks, how can we NOT point to the fact that wrestling is the great all-inclusive sport? The one sport where everyone has a chance as long as they bring courage and heart to the mats. I say that kid in Iowa better get used to it. This is the twenty-first century and it's time to man-up and hit the mats - no matter who your opponent is.
    Well-said, German. "This is the twenty-first century and it's time to man-up and hit the mats - no matter who your opponent is." I agree totally.
    As for the chance of "inappropriate action," everyone who wrestles takes that chance, male or female. Makes no difference. I sympathize with old-school fathers wanting to protect their daughters, but I rather have a daughter who could protect herself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6136707
    Rick Reilly on espn.com on the situation. I usually like Rick's writing, but in this one he comes off as a jerk IMO. Basically trashes the Northrup's religion because they don't want to beat up on girls. Not cool.

For what it's worth, I wrestled with girls in practice all the time when I was in high school, and if I had a match against one I would have done my best to beat her. But I respect those who feel otherwise.

PS eye gouging is illegal in wrestling, mr. Reilly.

I skimmed Reilly's article with disgust. What a classy move for a 50 year old with the audience that he has to bash a high schooler on a national stage.

No doubt Gold. For being chivalrous and religious no less.

What makes it worse for me is that I'm a fan of Reilly's and I've been hoping for a long time that he would write more about wrestling. Maybe about the Olympics or Anthony Robles or the Zadick brothers coming out of nowhere to win world medals, something like that. Then he goes and does this.