Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 52
Discuss Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5 at the College Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; Originally Posted by Gold A lot of the same things said about Alton's first match ...
  1. #10
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    A lot of the same things said about Alton's first match with Russell, but the simple fact is he knows how to win matches.
    Not really the "same" things, as they had 1 TD a piece in that match.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  2. #11
    Round of 12 yoces51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Got a TD with 13 seconds left in the third period to tie the match, and then a TD and two backs 20 seconds into OT to win it.

    Can he be called the "favorite" now?
    I think Marion is the better wrestler after seeing the match today. I think we can all agree on this.

    (this post was made by Chop...he was at the house today) I think Marion wrestled well, however I don't think that we can ALL agree that Marion is the better wrestler as he lost.
    Last edited by yoces51; 02-13-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: chop

  3. #12
    #1 Homer Herkey#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,678

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    A lot of the same things said about Alton's first match with Russell, but the simple fact is he knows how to win matches.
    This is true. He does know how to win matches.

    Marion will be tested pretty hard between now and Nationals so I think he will be ready the next time.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  4. #13
    Administrator JensenS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    19,925
    Blog Entries
    56

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Not really the "same" things, as they had 1 TD a piece in that match.
    I think what he was insinuating was that after the first match there were a lot of Penn State fans making the argument that Alton was the "better" wrestler despite the fact that he lost, and that he would win the future matches.

    He of course hasn't had much luck in terms of fulfilling those expectations.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  5. #14
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Not really the "same" things, as they had 1 TD a piece in that match.
    I have similar issues with the scoring. Escapes are overcompensated--especially given that you can start in the down position.

    I still think Russell's track record in these situations says a lot for itself.

    His track record at NCAA's is a different matter, though.


    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I think what he was insinuating was that after the first match there were a lot of Penn State fans making the argument that Alton was the "better" wrestler despite the fact that he lost, and that he would win the future matches.

    He of course hasn't had much luck in terms of fulfilling those expectations.
    Yes


  6. #15
    NCAA Champ ban basketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,817

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    I'm completely baffled by the qualms with the scoring system.

    How should escapes be scored? Or, are you guys implying that maybe escapes should be scored at 1, and takedowns at 3?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  7. #16
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    3 point takedowns might be better, ban. The way it is right now isn't perfect, but it's the way it is and isn't a huge deal. People know that's how scoring works and it's pretty accepted, hasn't been changed every 5 years like freestyle.

    I remember watching Reader/Lewnes this year and it was tied at one point. Reader had I think 2 TD's and an reversal, Lewnes 4 escapes and a takedown. Reader escaped before the third period ended to ensure the well-earned win, but I just didn't feel like it should have been a tie match because Reader had clearly outwrestled him in all three phases. The match should be on Flo.


  8. #17
    Redshirt
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    3 point takedowns might be better, ban. The way it is right now isn't perfect, but it's the way it is and isn't a huge deal. People know that's how scoring works and it's pretty accepted, hasn't been changed every 5 years like freestyle.

    I remember watching Reader/Lewnes this year and it was tied at one point. Reader had I think 2 TD's and an reversal, Lewnes 4 escapes and a takedown. Reader escaped before the third period ended to ensure the well-earned win, but I just didn't feel like it should have been a tie match because Reader had clearly outwrestled him in all three phases. The match should be on Flo.
    You say "clearly outwrestled", yet he cut him loose 4 times. Folkstyle is intended to show control over your opponent. I get the feeling that some of you don't value riding your opponent too much. If Reader shows more control on top the match is not even close. He obviously didn't do too well in this phase.

  9. #18
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Kellen Russell dec Montell Marion 9-5

    Jordan Oliver's 8-7 win over Hochstrasser in the All-Star dual is another good example. He had four takedowns to Hochstrasser's one (at the very end of the match in garbage time essentially).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

user tags

kellen russell vs montell marion video

montell marion vs kellen russell

kellen russell vs montell marion

kellen russellkellen russell vs marionkellen russell wrestlingkellen russell montell marionFair And Square wrestling tuberussell vs marionmontell marionmarion russell matchmontell marion videovideo of kellen russell vs montell marionrussell marion matchmontell marion kellen russellkellen russel vs montelmontell marion vs. kellen russellmontell marion vs russellmontell marion didnt get the takedown cause he was blackkellen russel vs montell marionquyết định phong đẳng cáp môn vật năm 2008montell marion vs russall matchkellen russell explosivencaa wrestling nationals 2012 kellen rusell vs montel marionmontell marion vs jimmy kennedyyoutube montell marion vs jimmy kennedy wrestlingMontell Marion permanent suspensionkellen russell forummontell marion kellen russelmontel marion and kellen russellmontel marion russelmontel marion wrestling 2011you tube alton marionmarion vs kennedykellen russell v montell marion

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •