Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Taylor Taken Down Three Times

Default David Taylor Taken Down Three Times

Hi all,

The best I could do for the Penn St-Illinois match last night was to listen to an audio stream online. I did hear in the broadcast that Taylor was taken down three times and nearly pinned. Can someone who saw the match confirm this? Were they fluke takedowns or did Jackson Morse actually plow through Taylor on those doubles?

Default Re: David Taylor Taken Down Three Times

I watched that match and there didn't seem to be anything particularly flukey about the takedowns. On one of them Taylor definitely let his guard down for a split-second after releasing the other kid, but they all looked pretty legit to me.

Okay, then my question is was he really close to being pinned on the first TD? The radio broadcast seemed to think that the fall could have been called. A truly wild first period in a match that ends up as a typical David Taylor tech/pin.

if I remember correctly, at least 2 of the 3 takedowns were immediate reshots by Illinois where taylor got sloppy after cutting the Illinois wrestler. Taylor was never at risk for a fall, but he did look a little too loose, he will need to tighten up his game for the NCAA's

I didn't watch the match and don't know what really happened, but this doesn't change anything about Taylor in my mind. His style has never been about inpregnable defense. He's been taken down before. It's a bit surprising that it was Jackson Morse who took him down three times, but that says more to me about Morse's mental and wrestling skills than it says anything new about Taylor.

Just my opinion.

When was the last time he was taken down three times in a match though?

Probably the perfect time for that to happen, really. Should really push him heading into nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I didn't watch the match and don't know what really happened, but this doesn't change anything about Taylor in my mind. His style has never been about inpregnable defense. He's been taken down before. It's a bit surprising that it was Jackson Morse who took him down three times, but that says more to me about Morse's mental and wrestling skills than it says anything new about Taylor.

Just my opinion.

Maybe his wrestle-off with Cyler, I guess. It certainly hasn't happened many times--maybe this is the only one in an actual match (maybe Ian Miller did it at Ironman?). It's just that when I think about David Taylor, I think of a guy who gets taken down every now and again but scores enough points of his own that it doesn't matter.

I'm sure you're right that this will drive him to get better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Maybe his wrestle-off with Cyler, I guess. It certainly hasn't happened many times--maybe this is the only one in an actual match (maybe Ian Miller did it at Ironman?). It's just that when I think about David Taylor, I think of a guy who gets taken down every now and again but scores enough points of his own that it doesn't matter.

I'm sure you're right that this will drive him to get better, though.
    Sounds like a certain wrestler who occasionally spoke in the third person....
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Watched the whole match. Never close to a fall.

The way to take down scramble masters like DT is double legs. The problem is he can take you down so many more times than you can take him down. Oh yeah, he reverses just about everyone. Also he turns just about everyone.

Morse couldn't have beaten him with a baseball bat.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.