Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: 125 Pound Weight Division - NCAAs

Default Re: 125 Pound Weight Division - NCAAs

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Precin was #1 when McDonough beat him and would be #3 when McDonough faces him again (and wins in this hypothetical).
    Yes, but by that logic Robles has beaten #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9 and #10, as I am sure Sanders, Morrison, Bedelyon, Patterson (x2), Garnett, Lara, and soon to be Mango have all held those rankings one of the times that Robles beat them.

But I see what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Technically that is correct. The point is that we all agree Precin is top 3. If McD can beat him at Big 10's that would be 2 out of 3 wins against a top 3 guy where as Robles hasn't wrestled at top 3 guy yet. Beating Precin 2 times and Sanders at least once rates higher in my opinion than Robles beating Sanders once. I guess we will have to wait and see how this pans out. If McD loses to Precin this decision becomes really easy for everyone.

So in that perspective if precin wins the b10's would he have a win over #1 twice, or the #1 and #2 (cause he beat mcd when he was #1 and is ranked in another poll at #2)

if so precin would have

Wins over #1 #2 and #6 mango?

Gopherfan, that is exactly the point. No, and it is only relevant to look at where the guys Precin beat stand in the rankings today. Otherwise it starts to get ridiculous as Robles has beaten every guy from #3 to #20, as I am sure at least one was ranked at each placing at least once by at least one ranking system.

I think it would be great for the sport of wrestling to have Robles win it all, and he just might. After last years performance at the NCAAs, I thought people had figured out how to beat him, especially when guys wrestled him for the second time. However, this year, no one has him figured out yet.

About 10-12 years ago, there was a one-legged wrestler that took 2nd place in the Montana state tournament. There were about 3 guys that could regularly beat him in his own division, but at state, where most of the wrestlers had never seen him before, he was a pinning machine.

Wrestling is such a dynamic, versatile and inclusive sport. There's not too many other sports where you see amputees competing at a world class level.

How about any for that matter? Can you honestly think of another sport where athletes with severe physical handicaps are able to compete for national titles? Chess and poker are not included.

all this is comes down to is hawkeye fans definitely don't want precin or robles on the same side of the bracket at the tournament. Coming from someone who has wrestled robles in high school hes not a person you want on the other side of the line as you, that being said i think he'll get the number 1 but i think precin gets past Mcd in the semis and beats robles 3-2.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthesituation View Post
    How about any for that matter? Can you honestly think of another sport where athletes with severe physical handicaps are able to compete for national titles? Chess and poker are not included.
    How about Jim Abbott who had only one hand and pitched for several seasons in major league baseball and was on the Olympic team and Tom (?) Dempsey the kicker for the New Orleans Saints who still owns the NFL record for the longest field goal who was born with only one hand and a severely malformed foot.