Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: #3 Penn State (PSU) vs. #4 Minnesota (MN) Predictions/Discussion/Results

Default Re: #3 Penn State (PSU) vs. #4 Minnesota (MN) Predictions/Discussion/Results

IMO there is no difference between a having heart and being strong minded. Having heart is just a saying for people who are tough minded. Ie...having guts, balls, heart etc...All that means is that you are mentally tough and can take more and perservere (sp) through the pain, anguish, tears, hunger etc...
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Default Re: #3 Penn State (PSU) vs. #4 Minnesota (MN) Predictions/Discussion/Results

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    IMO there is no difference between a having heart and being strong minded. Having heart is just a saying for people who are tough minded. Ie...having guts, balls, heart etc...All that means is that you are mentally tough and can take more and perservere (sp) through the pain, anguish, tears, hunger etc...
    So...a wrestling board just turned into a philosophy class?

I'm a youth coach, and I see when kids get psyched out before a match. Mentally, they've already lost. They hit the line on the box with the attitude they they're going to lose and it shows in their wrestling. Some kid tells another kid that this kid is a state champion or that the kid put another kid in the hospital and THWACK!! the kid mentally shuts down.

That, to me, is one or two examples of the mental aspect of the sport. Wright hit the line and was wrestling well, got taken down, fought hard for a time, then he was down by a lot, knew he wasn't going to win, and just didn't have the heart to fight it out anymore.

Hey, all of us could be wrong here. Only Quentin knows what's really going on in his head/heart/gut or wherever the hell his problem is. I just hope he finds and corrects it, because he's one hell of a wrestler when he's on his game.

Explain the difference between a "heart" issue and a "head" issue.
    The head is the MIND which is the ability to analyze data & calculate what should be don next. The heart is emotions & desire how much you want something. BIG difference between the 2.

In HS I had a friend who was District champ his junior year. One match away from making states @ regionals. Next year he was a pivotal part of our team winning states. After 2 duals he quit. He still KNEW what to do but he just didnt want to anymore. That's one difference between head & heart.

I went undefeated my FS year made Districts my junior year but couldnt crack the line up my senior year. I wanted to. I couldn't figure out how to get it done. Maybe the other guys were more talented then me but one kid who made states I was beating a few years before that. Again difference between head & heart.

In terms of the debate about Q Wright, there was an interview with coach Cody Sanderson after the Minn match and he was asked what is going on with Quentin. he said that Quentin is going through some personal issues right now that he could not go into. As PSU fans, I think we need to try to support a very talented wrestler who is going through some hard times (whatever they are). None of us is so strong that a huge blow can't knock us down. I don't know what Quentin's issue is, but I know I want to stand with my guy--even if I am frustrated with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Badcat View Post
    So...a wrestling board just turned into a philosophy class?

Wright hit the line and was wrestling well, got taken down, fought hard for a time, then he was down by a lot, knew he wasn't going to win, and just didn't have the heart to fight it out anymore.
    Let me rephrase this paragraph to illustrate my point.

Wright hit the line and was wrestling well, got taken down, fought hard for a time, then was down by a lot, KNEW HE WASNT GOING TO WIN, and just didnt have the right mindset to fight it out anymore.

How much time do you need to pin someone? As long as there is a tick left on the clock it doesnt matter how much you are down by you can still win. A wrestler with a strong mind realizes this and stays in the frame of mind that he will win the match. A wrestler with a strong mind (or heart as you call it) will never give up. What you just illustrated in your scenario is a situation where the wrestler gave up because his mind was telling him he couldnt win.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Explain the difference between a "heart" issue and a "head" issue.
    The way I see it, a wrestler with a head issue doesn't wrestle smart enough, while a wrestler with a heart issue doesn't wrestle hard enough.

For example, failing to attack during an opportune situation because you lack confidence, or being overagressive and throwing yourself to your back, might be considered 'head' issues.

On the other hand, letting yourself get pinned instead of fighting off your back, or stalling out a match against an inferior opponent when your team needs team points, might be considered a 'heart' issue.

I see the clear difference between "head" and "heart" and agree with arm-spin.
    Psyching yourself out or losing confidence are "head" issues. along with choking during big matches.
    This doesn't mean that the wrestler isn't giving 100% and fighting every second.
    IMO, every wrestler faces "head" issues and loses matches becasue of them.

I have no opinion on what is wrong with Q and don't think it is fair to speculate that he has a "heart" problem.

I put this on another thread but let me just say this to all the folks wondering "what's wrong with Q?" The young man has things going on in his life that would distract most kids his age. Cody has said it & I talked to someone who is friends with him & his family last night who told me stuff in confidence along those lines as well. Everyone has a private life that should be respected so I will leave it at that. Only time will tell how his wrestling @ PSU will play out. Everything else is just conjecture.

RIght now PSU is pretty lucky to have Pataky "back" but who knows for how long & whether that knee will hold up. They are also lucky to get Andrew Long in their line up.

I would say that they will have Long, Alton, Molinaro, Taylor, Ruth & Wade going to NCAAs, (6). If they can get Pataky & Wright that will be a BONUS @ this point. Forget about 165 or 197 unless a miracle occurs.

If all 6 AA they have a chance to be @ least in the top 3. If Brad or Quentin can score also they have a chance to win it. Cornell & Okie St I think have to be the favorites with PSU, Minny, Iowa & Wisky right behind them. This is probably the most wide open team race in 10 years so just about anything can happen & probably will.

I can't believe no one is mentioning that crazy punch to his own face by Pataky right after he lost to Sanders. Wow, the young man really missed the mat and was wound a little tight eh? I watched it several times on the DVR and it looked like he made good contact! Might have been his best shot of the night.