Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Iowa v. Penn State Thoughts (125-174)

Default Iowa v. Penn State Thoughts (125-174)

Finally got the chance to watch the rebroadcast of Iowa v. Penn State last night, for some reason my DVR spent the first half hour recording some B10 Legends broadcast (probably screwed up in setting it) so all I saw was the first seven weights. It cut off just as Gambrall was finishing his first TD against the weak minded one.

125: McD went out and did what he was supposed to do. He did a nice job going to that dump a couple of times to pick up TD's, not really a move I'd seen him hit a lot in the past. Have always loved the step over the legs and walk to the head cradle that he finished the match with.

133: I actually watched this match twice because I was trying to figure out what Ramos was doing in order to stay away from Long's underhook. Still don't really know what he was doing. He had a heavy lead with his left side, but its just hard to believe that that was all it would take after watching Long get to his underhook so effortlessly against everyone (including McDonough) last year. Long didn't look as bad as people painted him out, I expected him to be listless. He took a lot of shots, just couldn't finish them.

141: I mentioned to Zapp last night that I find the fact that people are using this match as some kind of indictment of Cael Sanderson's coaching ability to be pretty ridiculous given that Andrew Alton is a true freshman wrestling the defending NCAA finalist to an 11-9 match. Had Mike Evans come out of RS and wrestled Mack Lewnes to a match like that I can't imagine those same people would be trying to say that demonstrated Brands was deficient as a coach. Moving on to the match. First off, Marion WAS NOT pinned. Alton definitely gassed but this was the first match we've seen him have anything even resembling issues. Marion did a great job keeping him off balance from the beginning. Usually Alton is the guy controlling the hand fighting but he seemed jumpy from the beginning here

149: Molinaro had the major when he got the TD for 9-2 but then went and got greedy. Mark Ballweg did a great job wrestling hard over that last minute and thereby saving the bonus point. While watching early I wondered why he was forcing the ride on top when he was getting easy TD's. Although I have the same thought when watching a lot of guys.

157: Dominant performance by Taylor and it speaks to his progression just over the last six or seven months that he was able to do this to a guy that he split matches with over the summer. Since his demolition of Paul Young in the Scuffle finals he's kind of struggled in terms of getting backs, but he's so good on his feet now (wonder where he gets that from?) that it hasn't hurt him. As for the other things that people have talked about relating to this match, Taylor definitely caught a finger to the eye the first time he called for injury time in the third period. The second time you couldn't tell since the ref was in the way. Most overrated exchange of "shoves" ever at the end of the match. Reading testimonies from both sides I expected something a lot more blatant than the little nudge each guy gave the other one.

165: Just a solid win by Aaron Jannsen, similar to 125 this is what you expected to happen here. Don't really know anything else to say.

174: Ed Ruth continues to be brutally effective at finishing once he gets to legs. Did a nice job defending too on the few times that Lofthouse got in on his legs. Similar to Mark Ballweg, Lofthouse did a nice job keeping Ruth tied up in the third period to save the bonus point.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: Iowa v. Penn State Thoughts (125-174)

Your DVR didn't screw that up, I got it here too with some stuff about Dick Butkus etc. I was getting pissed and about two call my provider when it came on. There is nothing wrong with your DVR.

I agreed with alot that you had to say in those reviews of the matches. It IS kind of an optical illusion to figure out how Ramos stayed out of the tie-ups, I think he just kept his arms in close and stayed in the center. He did a nice job of circling and has really quick cat-like movements on offense and defense. Bottom line is that he is actually pretty strong for a kid that could most likely have moved down to 125 if Iowa would have needed him to.

I also agree on Alton that I don't think this was a damning of him as much as a credit to Marion hitting the mat in shape and going 7 minutes.

I was kind of thinking back to my early days on The Message Boards and all of the times we used to talk about Dustin Schlatter as this unbeatable force and how disappointed we started to get with him when he would only decision guys. It reminds me of Penn State fans with David Taylor. While he didn't get all the bonus points his team needed, he thorougly defeated a very good wrestler in St. John and that was pretty impressive.

I think my new nickname for Ruth is "The Alabama Tick" because you are right, when he gets your leg, he is going to finish with a much higher rate than anyone else I have seen this year and he has a variety of ways of doing it. Good stuff.
    Last edited by goferphan; 02-01-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

I mean all I really missed out on was 184.

I can kind of use my imagination to figure out what Uncle Luke looked like dominating a back up, and Wade and Rasing looked like playing slap and tickle with one another for seven minutes.

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

I agree about 157. Those shoves at the end of the match were weak from both guys. People are trying to say the DSJ poked Taylor in the eye on purpose, twice, but I didnt see that. I think it was accidental. That stuff happens when you wrestle sometimes. The shoving at the end of the match was dumb by both guys.

I think the only thing that happened to Alton was that he gassed while wrestling a good opponent. If he hadn't lost his conditioning he might have saved his lead. Marion pushed the pace though because in his mind he knew that he was in better shape and could outlast Andrew. Good match. Can't wait for B10's. Hopefully they meet again.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

St. John was working his head taps with an open hand, when you do that sometimes things just happen. He didn't seem like he was pulling a Logan Brown though, just incidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post

I think the only thing that happened to Alton was that he gassed while wrestling a good opponent.
    I wondered (and I'm aware that this sounds like an excuse) whether the gassing was related to him just being so wound up wrestling in front of the big crowd against the returning finalist that he just blew all his energy early. I feel like if the gassing was a matter of Cael being a "bad coach" and/or Alton not training hard enough we'd have seen some evidence of this before now.

Really don't want this to sound like I'm discounting what Marion did though, after the throw he looked arguably the best I've ever seen him.

From what I've read about Alton, he tends to get really worked up before matches and this match probably had his ticker on overdrive well before the match started. He'll need to learn to pace his pre-match intensity against the bigs guys but I think he's fundamentally in good physical condition.

"Fundamentally in good physical condition", thats awesome.

MORE INDIAN SPRINTS!!!!
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Alton probalby got caught up in the moment of the whole thing as alot of young guys will. When that happens you can be exhausted before you even step on the mat. His nervousness probably played a role in it. Also, hitting a big throw like that and working to hold Marion down even for a very short period of time will zap your energy.

But Montell never gave him a chance to catch his wind again. Marion wrestled a one of the best matches I have seen him wrestle aside from the toss. Hope we see more of that out of him this year. If we do he might not lose.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

He's going down to Thorn at least once.