Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Break Down of PSU from a Hawkeye

Default Re: Break Down of PSU from a Hawkeye

As long as were throwing out credentials...

I won the Garner JV tournament three times. Woulda been a 4Xer but I think my coach thought it would be embarassing for me to wrestle in it as a senior. Oh, I won the Nashua Plainfield JV tournament 3X's as well and the varsity tournament once so I guess I was a 4Xer there. Just because you may not have wrestled in college or reached a certain level of success doesnt mean you don't know anything about wrestling. That's kind of a dumb blanket statement.

Plus it's all opinion. Not personal. It's not like he called someone a douche bag.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I've followed thewrestling talk for a couple of years now but this is my first entry. I've been a big PSU fan since the 60's and was on their team in the early 70's. I've never seen the kind of excitement that this year's team has generated. I don't believe in trash talking or being cocky, rather I would rather let the wrestlers speak for themselves in their performance. I think it's pretty amazing what Cael has done in 1 1/2 years there. We haven't won anything yet--it's too soon to glory in anything or criticize anything. It's a very young team and they have a lot to learn (I agree that Alton got overhyped for the match and burned himself out too early with his emotions). But give Iowa all the credit, they did what they had to do. They're a great program--one that sets the standard for everyone else. But I have a lot of optimism about PSU's future too and I believe Cael is taking them in the right direction. With duals coming up with Mich/Wisc/Ill/Minn we'll see how good they are. But for the time being, win or lose, I'm enjoying watching them. NCAA's should be interesting this year. I hope everyone's team is at full strength and may the best team win!
    Welcome to TWT! Thanks for posting!

Im not sure if QW is mentally weak, but if he is 1 handed what in the world is Bael doing throwing him out there against a quality opponent? Gambrall could have ended his season if he really wanted to when he was riding him. A really good chicken wing and step over could have ruined his shoulder/collar bone area, but he chose not to. That said, there are guys out there that would do something like that, so bad move by Bael in my opinion.

I wont say anything bad about the athletes because we all know that no matter what team you root for those guys put in a ton of time and effort to wrestle, but I do question Baels ability to get his team motivated. He just cant match the Brands intensity level and ability to get the most out of his kids. This has been proven since his time at ISU as well.

PSU is a good team that is true, but without getting the #1 recruits in the country can he develop champions? Jury is still out on this question.

PSU will be right there come tournament time though I think, but whoever counts Iowa out of it totally now is foolish. with McDominator and Marion back in the lineup there could be 2 Champions on any given day. Thats a ton of points, and usually Iowa has other kids that step up and AA out of nowhere as well. Cant wait until March.

Well I don't think there can be anymore discussion since Chop was a state champion. He's clearly the authority on D1 wrestling given his high school credentials.

On behalf of JensenS, Gold, and any others who questioned your opinions I apologize.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Barring injury, there are no bounds to Taylor's potential. He has always risen to the occasion for big matches, and I think you will see that in a couple months.
    The only thing he has to work on is his hair. His hair definitely hasn't risen to the occasion, nor come close to meeting it's potential.

Am I the only one who thinks the "Bael Sanderson" stuff is pretty silly? If guys don't like him or don't think he's a good coach so be it, but show some respect. The man is a friggin' legend.

I saw DT's hair up close & personal & I can say WITH AUTHORITY it is Justin Bieber like in it's quality.

I think Chop's statement about QW was a "little douchey" but I don't think that makes him a DB.

My reader's digest version take to mirror Chop's:

125: That was an experience Morgan will never forget, being thrown the the wolves on his 1st dual meet. He looked like a HS kid going up against a NCAA champ. Oh wait that IS what happened.

133: Even though I predicted an Iowa 2 pt win I realized later that it was only 2 pts @ 133 & 3 pts @ 141 that separated PSU's 9 point loss from a 3 point win. That being said I could see easily sitting @ matside that Long was becoming frustrated. He needs to work on THAT. Ramos's defense got Long out of doing what he does best. Kudos to Brands for that game plan. He was yelling @ Ramos what to do for nearly every second of the match.

141: Alton had him decked. Ref didn't call it. That is going to happen sometimes. This was gut check time & he is what I mean: Alton punched Marion in the mouth & then Marion got OFF THE MAT as the expression goes. THAT is what Alton wasn't used to. And THAT right there is what you saw from the Iowa wrestlers & didn't see from the PSU wrestlers. Alton wasn't used to guys surviving & when you give a kid your best shot & he is still standing that can take something out of you mentally.

Brands was yelling "He can't keep up with! He can't keep up with you!" I think THAT won the match almost as much as anything. And thats the difference between Iowa & other teams: They don't care if you are ranked higher, they just expect to win. And they will do things like that to take you out of your game. It won't be the same next time though.

149: Yea Frank even admitted he didn't do a good job getting the major & he said that was his fault that he didn't go for another TD earlier. Live & learn.

157: DT was the only one who SWAGGERED back @ the Hawkeyes. DSJ did some cheap stuff & DT took it & said IS THAT ALL YOU GOT. PSU needs those gonads cloned & passed around & by that I really mean mentally toughen up.

165: In the beginning I thought that we would see something different out of Jake but it seemed like he was beat before he was even on the mat.

174: Didn't talk to Ed but I agree that he should have gotten the Major, he needed to for the team @ that point. If you watch his last match vs EL Ruth has definitely improved faster the EL. To say otherwise I think makes a person look like they have no idea what they are saying.

184: In the post dual interview Cael didn't talk about QW. I think he was disappointed &expected more out of him. QW was a freshman AA afterall as a RS Sophomore one of the leaders of the team. Something needs to be "debugged" & I do not think it is hos shoulder.

197: Ortega actually showed me more then I expected in that match but he gave up @ the end. He weighed in @ 190 actually so give the kid some props for dropping down to 184 to cover for QW & then go back up. In the years to come this won't be a hole anymore.

285: Raising is considerably bigger then Cam so I think he did a good job on handling a bigger guy but I knew it was going to be a 1-0 final after I heard Raising go neutral.

Coach: As a team PSU got punched in the mouth & didn't have a back up plan, (referencing Mike Tyson). You could say that it was Cael's fault. Troy Letters told me that they were trying to go about the week as business as usual & not get caught up in the hype. Terry Brands told me basically the same thing. One of those strategies worked. The other didn't. I think that maybe Cael told them they might get "punched in the mouth" but they just didn't know how hard. Now they know. Cael said that they were going to learn from this. We shall see come the B10s & NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    As long as were throwing out credentials...

I won the Garner JV tournament three times. Woulda been a 4Xer but I think my coach thought it would be embarassing for me to wrestle in it as a senior. Oh, I won the Nashua Plainfield JV tournament 3X's as well and the varsity tournament once so I guess I was a 4Xer there. Just because you may not have wrestled in college or reached a certain level of success doesnt mean you don't know anything about wrestling. That's kind of a dumb blanket statement.

Plus it's all opinion. Not personal. It's not like he called someone a douche bag.
    I'll make sure to refer back to your prior two posts in this thread next time you want to call me a "dick."
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12