Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Break Down of PSU from a Hawkeye

Default Re: Break Down of PSU from a Hawkeye

I've followed thewrestling talk for a couple of years now but this is my first entry. I've been a big PSU fan since the 60's and was on their team in the early 70's. I've never seen the kind of excitement that this year's team has generated. I don't believe in trash talking or being cocky, rather I would rather let the wrestlers speak for themselves in their performance. I think it's pretty amazing what Cael has done in 1 1/2 years there. We haven't won anything yet--it's too soon to glory in anything or criticize anything. It's a very young team and they have a lot to learn (I agree that Alton got overhyped for the match and burned himself out too early with his emotions). But give Iowa all the credit, they did what they had to do. They're a great program--one that sets the standard for everyone else. But I have a lot of optimism about PSU's future too and I believe Cael is taking them in the right direction. With duals coming up with Mich/Wisc/Ill/Minn we'll see how good they are. But for the time being, win or lose, I'm enjoying watching them. NCAA's should be interesting this year. I hope everyone's team is at full strength and may the best team win!

TomWright25 thanks for posting and I like your insight. I am obviously an Iowa fan but see similarities between Cael's athletes at ISU and PSU which I gave you. Cael does have PSU headed in the right direction but I am not sure if he can take them to the promises land. I only judge this off his ISU teams and now what I see at PSU. Good luck the rest of the year!

Quite honestly if each of the individuals is self motivated to have individual success come NCAA time, that should be all that matters. The dual concept and National Duals is a unique and great part about this sport but the collective good in March is for each individual to wrestle as hard as they can for themselves. That being said, getting some pins if you can certainly doesn't hurt your team in March and no one knows this better than Iowa the last three years.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Chop: I will chime in about the two Ohioans because that's what I do, often to the extent of being obnoxious.

Barring injury, there are no bounds to Taylor's potential. You say the pressure will get to him. A fair thing to assume about a freshman, but I doubt it holds true for him. He has always risen to the occasion for big matches, and I think you will see that in a couple months. I can't wait to see he and Fittery go at it. Fittery will not just ball up against him like most people. Those are two wrestlers who like to score and it should be a damn fun match to watch.

As for Wade... Keeping matches close has not really been his M.O.--at least not this year. He probably has 10-15 techs/pins this year and some majors, too. He scores a lot of points on top, which is probably why Rasing chose neutral. He used to be a full-sized heavyweight but he dropped the weight so he could be more mobile. Typically he shoots a lot of single legs, but I think a guy with Rasing's size and strength makes that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    184- I think QW is a weak minded individual. He acted like he couldn't use his left arm last night but when he wanted to go upper body it wasn't a problem. He is streaky and that will catch him at NCAA's as well. His mind is his biggest issue and again I don't think Cael develops his athletes mentally so the jury is still out. QW get tough otherwise you are going to be just another D1 wrestler. Weak!
    I think you're a douche bag. Wright is having issues with his left arm because he broke his collar bone two months ago. If you weren't so ignorant of the goings on in the college wrestling world outside of Iowa City perhaps you'd know this...

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post

Ruth beat Lofthouse 10-5 in previous meeting and all this tells me is Lofthouse is getting better faster than Ruth is.
    I'm probably going to regret asking, but this line of reasoning makes no sense. Ruth beating Lofthouse yesterday by more than he had in their past matches and this tells you that Lofthouse is getting better faster than Ruth is?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Chop

I don't know anything about Wright, but I do know that shooting with a bad arm is a lot harder than upper body wrestling. I had wrist, elbow and shoulder issues throughout my career and got through a lot of matches by relying on upper body techniques. Shooting and having your opponent sprawl on your outstretched arm is what really hurts.

Also, didn't Alton just hit his throw on a good wrestler?

[QUOTE=JensenS;382783]I think you're a douche bag. Wright is having issues with his left arm because he broke his collar bone two months ago. If you weren't so ignorant of the goings on in the college wrestling world outside of Iowa City perhaps you'd know this...

WOW! We have the admin calling me a douche bag now. You my friend have class! I don't care what he did to his arm 2 months ago if he is injured don't wrestle. He seemed okay when wrestling Pitt a couple weeks ago. QW had no business wrestling last night if he didn't feel he could compete at a high level. What did he gain by wrestling last night? Why didn't his arm seem to bother him against Pitt like it did last night? Seems to me all we hear are excuses which I don't deal with. M* and CB were both hurt last year and you didn't hear any excuses out of me or them for not winning. The difference being they are mentally tougher than QW in my opinion. Again if QW is injured then don't compete, if QW is hurt put forth a better effort than what he showed last night.

I think the post above makes my point better than anything I could possibly write, so I'm not going to say much other than it seems very easy for you to to sit back as a never was and bash on athletes who have actually accomplished things in this sport.

If Wright was an Iowa wrestler and had come back during the season after breaking his collar bone you'd be pissing your pants trying to talk up his "heart" and his "courage"
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Chop

I don't know anything about Wright, but I do know that shooting with a bad arm is a lot harder than upper body wrestling. I had wrist, elbow and shoulder issues throughout my career and got through a lot of matches by relying on upper body techniques. Shooting and having your opponent sprawl on your outstretched arm is what really hurts.

Also, didn't Alton just hit his throw on a good wrestler?
    I assume from your comments you wrestled at some point in your life. How many times will AA hit a neck wrench and pin a guy? Last I checked any throw (headlock, neck wrench, lateral drop ect...) is a low percentage move and even a lower percentage at the D1 level. I would take shooting quality shots over throws any day.