Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iowa State v. #2 Cornell Live Feed/Predictions/Discussion

Default Re: Iowa State v. #2 Cornell Live Feed/Predictions/Discussion

Reader looked much better and the way things started I was wondering if a major might happen. Good job by Lewnes to keep it close but it seems clear he has got some work to do before nationals. I agree Gold that the scoring did not seem to reflect the match.

World Champ

What was the final score of this meet?

30-16 Cornell

Redshirt

No. 2 Cornell 30 No. 15 Iowa State 16
    141: <DFN>Mike Nevinger</DFN> (Cornell) win by forfeit (CU, 6-0)
    149: No. 2 <DFN>Kyle Dake</DFN> (Cornell) win by fall Max Mayfield (Iowa State), 4:44 (CU, 12-0)
    157: Trent Weatherman (Iowa State) win by fall No. 9 <DFN>DJ Meagher</DFN> (Cornell), 4:36 (CU, 12-6)
    165: No. 9 Andrew Sorenson (Iowa State) dec. <DFN>Craig Eifert</DFN> (Cornell), 9-4 (CU, 12-9)
    174: No. 1 Jon Reader (Iowa State) dec. No. 3 <DFN>Mack Lewnes</DFN> (Cornell), 7-6 (Tied, 12-12)
    184: No. 7 <DFN>Steve Bosak</DFN> (Cornell) win by fall Cole Shafer (Iowa State), 3:34 (CU, 18-12)
    197: No. 1 <DFN>Cam Simaz</DFN> (Cornell) maj. dec. No. 16 Jerome Ward (Iowa State), 14-6 (CU, 22-12)
    HWT: Kyle Simonson (Iowa State) maj. dec. <DFN>Stryker Lane</DFN> (Cornell), 9-1 (CU, 22-16)
    125: No. 10 Frank Perelli (Cornell) maj. dec. Brandon Jones (Iowa State), 10-2 (CU, 26-16)
    133: No. 7 <DFN>Mike Grey</DFN> (Cornell) maj. dec. Ben Cash (Iowa State), 19-8 (CU, 30-16)

Grey looked strong in this one for sure.

Meagher got headlocked twice in one match - was just on his way to a comeback from the first 5 pointer and then gets pinned by another one.

Good dual overall - I feel bad for Lewnes though. Of course, somebody had to win the match and Reader just outwrestled him, so that's that.
    Am I cool now?

Default Re: Lewnes-Reader about to start on Flo BLD

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Reader's mat wrestling seemed MUCH better than Lewnes, although Lewnes got off bottom very well, if that makes sense.
    Well reversals are certainly more valuable than escapes, and that seemed to be the difference since neither of them had a notable advantage from the top position.

I don't think the score really does justice to how much better Reader was today, kind of like Gold talked about.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Default Re: Lewnes-Reader about to start on Flo BLD

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Lewnes escapes to start the third, and gets a TD with about 1:30 left. Reader nearly reverses him instantly, and Lewnes fights it off for a second and gets back on top with a leg in, but then it looked like his coaches told him to abandon ship, so he just ran off Reader (who looked like he was about to reverse AGAIN). One patented "late in the match, call stalling against the guy leading" call. That's it, Reader wins 7-6. Two TD's and a reversal. Reader's mat wrestling seemed MUCH better than Lewnes, although Lewnes got off bottom very well, if that makes sense.
    Did you see the Ruth vs Lewnes or Henrich matches from the Southern Scuffle? How would you say that Ruth would fare against Reader? Sounds like Ruth did a better job against Lewnes but I didn't see that ISU-CU dual.

That should lock up the 1 seed for Jon Reader barring a very confusing loss in conference.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.