Thread: Former CR Wrestler Matt Cathell at Kent State

Default Former CR Wrestler Matt Cathell at Kent State

<dl><dt>Former Caesar Rodney Wrestler Matt Cathell in his last year with the Golden Flashes at Kent State University

</dt><dt>By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Monday, January 24, 2011:

</dt><dt>Matt Cathell, a former 3 time state champion from Caesar Rodney High School is currently in his last year with the Golden Flashes of Kent State University located in Kent, Ohio. The former Rider carried a 132-23 record and achieved 3 all region honors while in high school. </dt><dt>"Coach Howell has prepared me to wrestle some of the toughest schools in the nation as in Blair, Nazareth and Easton High Schools to help me get ready for the college circuit some of the toughest wrestlers during my career were former St. Marks product Andrew Bradley who was on Maryland's wrestling team but was injured all 4 of his years along with Travis Blasco from Blair Academy." said Matt Cathell.

</dt><dt>After graduating from Caesar Rodney, Matt Cathell enrolled at Delaware State University located in Dover, DE close to home during his achievements he won a 149 pound title at the Wilkes University Open as a freshman, named Delaware State University's male athlete of the year for 2008-09, went 16-2 with 16 straight victories and for the first time in the Hornets wrestling program he was seeded as high as 9th in the nation and won 2 NCAA Eastern Regional titles along with qualifying for the NCAA twice.

</dt><dt>"When I wrestled at Delaware State for 2 years, I felt that I competeted and cut weight on my own." "The practices were very unorganized, along with the practices being downtime and it wasn't the right fit for me so in decided to transfer to Kent State." "Coach Andrassy flew me in spoke to me about what to expect when I wrestled there." "I decided to enroll and it was a perfect fit."

</dt><dt>In his first year with the Golden Flashes 2009-10, where he finished with a 6-1 record, the CR grappler went 3-0 with 2 pins in dual meets one of his MAC meets was against Central Michigan and finished 2nd at the Body Bar Invitational at Cornell University and had broken his ankle 4 days before the NCAA's at Omaha last year.

</dt><dt>This season, Cathell finished 3rd in the Virginia Tech Open going 4-1 with 3 pins along with a major decision. "I felt good when we wrestled as a team even though we lost by 4 points 23-19 to Iowa State I pinned my opponent from ISU and lost to Peter Yates of Virginia Tech."

</dt><dt>"We had our first MAC match against Northern Illinois defeated Northern Illinois University's Brian Deutsch by a 12-4 score." "He is the number one seed in our conference and I am seeded right behind him at number two." "The MAC is a very tough wrestling conference as there are a couple of competitors that are seeded in the top 20 in the nation."

</dt><dt>"Jim Andrassy is a good coach, is very intense in the practices, at first I had problems as he wanted me to move up to 157 but he also makes you feel good if your doing the right thing and makes you feel comfortable." "At the dual meets, he is really intense."

</dt><dt>"Our squad finished in 3rd place at the Virginia Duals where we defeated Lehigh University for a 18-16 score and lost to Penn State in the semi final round where at Delaware State we never received that type of competition."
    </dt></dl>

Default Re: Former CR Wrestler Matt Cathell at Kent State

Wasn't the real reason why he transferred from Delaware State to Kent State because the program was cut?

Default Re: Former CR Wrestler Matt Cathell at Kent State

Other issues regarding the practices at DSU, different coaching changes, wasn't enjoying himself at DSU.