Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

125 McD md whoever 4-0 Iowa
    133 Long dec Ramos 4-3 Iowa (somewhat of a swing-match)
    141 Alton dec Marion 6-4 PSU (swing match, but watch out for a '6' here as well for PSU)
    149 Molinaro md Ballweg, 10-4 PSU (could, probably should be a '5')
    157 Taylor md St. John, 14-4 PSU (again, '5' wouldn't surprise me)
    165 Janssen dec Kemmerer, 14-7 PSU (swing match)
    174 Ruth md Lofthouse, 18-7 PSU
    184 Wright dec Gam 20-7 PSU (swing match)
    197 Lofthouse dec whoever 20-10 PSU
    285 Wade MD Raising 24-10 PSU

Some factors influencing my decisions:
    PSU at home
    PSU very eager to stay #1
    PSU very eager to end Iowa dominance
    PSU seems to thrive this year under the spotlight and has a bit of a 1980's Iowa-like swagger going

I will be rooting for Iowa in this match-up but I see somewhat of a butchering happening. However, 2 wins by Iowa in the swing matches and tough wrestling to hold PSU to decisions in the matches they are outgunned in makes this a close dual. They better bring a couple sets of balls each to this match.

125 McDonough WBF Cashera (6-0 Iowa)
    133 Long dec. Ramos (6-3 Iowa)
    141 Alton dec. Marion (6-6)
    149 Molinaro MD Ballweg, (10-6 PSU)
    157 Taylor MD St. John, (14-6 PSU)
    165 Janssen dec. Kemmerer, (14-9 PSU)
    174 Ruth MD Lofthouse, (18-9 PSU)
    184 Wright dec. Gambrall (21-9 PSU)
    197 Lofthouse MD Ruggear (21-13 PSU)
    285 Wade dec. Raising (24-13 PSU)

This is the score I predict if Iowa gets the ref to allow them to linger in the tie-ups and prevent a lot of scoring (like they did against Okie State). If PSU stays aggressive, always attacking and looking to score as they have so far this season ... and the ref calls stalemates when the action stops ... then Long, Alton, Molinaro, Taylor, Ruth and Wright all score more bonus points and its a blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhaonbelay View Post
    This is the score I predict if Iowa gets the ref to allow them to linger in the tie-ups and prevent a lot of scoring (like they did against Okie State). If PSU stays aggressive, always attacking and looking to score as they have so far this season ... and the ref calls stalemates when the action stops ... then Long, Alton, Molinaro, Taylor, Ruth and Wright all score more bonus points and its a blowout.
    Other than 133, the bolded part is total horsecrap. Iowa wrestlers were getting after it in all their matches just as much or more than their Okie State counterparts. If Alton wrestles Marion, the only way he scores bonus is if he hits one of his big throws, he's not getting a major or a tech. If Brandon Johnson can keep Ed Ruth to a decision, so can Ethen Lofthouse. And there is no way Quentin Wright scores bonus on Gambrall unless, like Alton, he hits a throw.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Zapp, Go back and watch the Jordan Oliver match ... and count the total amount of time allowed during the stalemates ... with the clock running for the first two periods. Now I understand Oliver did not budge off the bottom in the third ... 100% Oliver's bad, and that is the real reason the dual ended in a tie, BUT ...

Here are 2 completely different matches of QW vs GG. In each one the winner pretty dominates the other. The 1st GG wins 3 years ago in Folkstyle & the other is last summer in FS.

It will be interesting to see WHO shows up in this rubber match, (but I sure these 2 will meet again in their careers).

Notice that QW tries to counter GG's underhooks with a throw & loses those attempts every time in the 1st meeting. Then in the FS match QW hits that move & puts GG right on his back. In both matches they have a few scrambles as well.
    <embed src="http://videoplayer.flocasts.org/player.swf" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="#" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="image=http://d1xm19c2e3uqmo.cloudfront.net/23635_171_1208530516282_l.jpg&logo=http://c1184532.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/flowrestling.png&file=http://d18tka3ecu2l5z.cloudfront.net/23635_171_1208530516282.flv&frontcolor=000000&ligh tcolor=cc9900&controlbar=over&stretching=fill&them e=#CDCC00&border=0" height="320" width="480">Wrestling Videos on Flowrestling

Quote Originally Posted by buddhaonbelay View Post
    Zapp, Go back and watch the Jordan Oliver match ... and count the total amount of time allowed during the stalemates ... with the clock running for the first two periods. Now I understand Oliver did not budge off the bottom in the third ... 100% Oliver's bad, and that is the real reason the dual ended in a tie, BUT ...
    I literally just said "other than 133". You said Iowa was allowed to linger in ties and stalemates, and that happened in exactly 1 match out of 10.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Sorry about the 133, Zapp ... missed that, Ooops. Look, Iowa took what four shots and scored on two of them from 133 - 149. I guess we will just have to call All that offense, 'counter-offense'. On the flip side, Okie State from 133-149 & 157 all ran out of gas in the third. I went back and perused the dual and I will admit and concede that I was so frustrated by the second, third and fourth matches (133-149), that I exaggerated into my memory what went on in the final six matches a bit.

Then we come to DSJ at 157, kind of an 'Anti-Brands' guy ... seems like a great kid, lots of sound technique, good offense, but no gas tank and none of the extra-curricular /after-the-whistle Sh%t Brands must preach in the room ... DSJ is just a better wrestler than Erisman.

(As a side note: I would have loved to see DSJ choose a program more suited to his style; Okie State, Ohio State, Cornell, Lehigh or Rutgers.)

At 165, Janssen got caught for five then definitely battled for 9 minutes, with only a couple after-the-whistle Iowa Sh%t, I mean stlye. At 174: hard fought by both, Benefiel, of course, ran out of gas. At 184, Bailey was a hammer on top of Gambrall who was smart enough to hunker down and stall on bottom as long as the ref remained silent. At 197, Foster was just better, even though L. Lofthouse almost caught him at the end. Rosholt is just too little in the battle of the Blakes.

I will also admit that Bailey @ 165 and Perry @ 184 could have both, at least, been warned for stalling, if not dinged a point.

I am unbelievably excited about Penn State and Iowa. I really want to see David Taylor take St. John, and Andrew Alton take Ballweg. I expect that Penn State will win this dual match, but the unsettling thing-at least from my perspective-is that Iowa can never be counted out. They've looked pretty darned good the last few weeks and there is always the possibility that they will pull out a victory. But that's just my paranoia talking. Penn State should win easily. Now, wouldn't it be extremely cool if Brandon Precin beat McDonough Friday and Pataky did it Sunday? Well, cool to me, anyway.

Hey Welcome to the TWT board 663!

Sanderson, Long face familiar foes - The Daily Collegian Online
    But all of Sanderson’s accomplishments as coach of Iowa State aside, there’s one thing he could never do -- beat Iowa.

“Absolutely,” said Sanderson when asked if he had any added animosity toward the Hawkeyes. “I’d be lying if I said I no.”

Sanderson’s Cyclones went 0-3 in dual meets against Iowa, the most recent a 20-15 Hawkeye victory in 2009. And though he couldn’t manage to take down his in-state rival, Sanderson said he holds no personal grudge against Iowa coach Tom Brands. During the Athens Olympics in 2004, Brands served as one of three coaches for the U.S. Olympic freestyle team, helping guide Sanderson to his gold medal at 84 kilograms.

“I think he’s a great coach, and you can’t argue with the success they’re having,” Sanderson said. “He’s coaching a team that is a rival, but then again, everyone thinks Iowa’s their rival.”