Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

Not that it matters a whole lot, but I think St. John beat Taylor during the freestyle season.

I see 2 different scenarios here:

FIRST
    125: McD wbf Cashera 6-0 Iowa (Save BP for B10s & NCAAs, he is hobbled at the moment, not much right now holding that knee together but that brace, going to have surgery after the season)
    133: Long wbd Ramos 6-3 Iowa (So no chance Clark wrestles this one?)
    141: AA wbd Ballweg 6-6 tie
    149: MM wbd Frank 9-6 Iowa (Wasn't there talk that MM would wrestle UP a weight a few weeks ago? My 1st upset special)
    157: DT wbm DSJ 10-9 PSU
    165: AJ wbd JK 12-10 Iowa
    174: ER wbm EL 14-12 PSU
    184: GG wbd QW 15-14 Iowa (agree with Wiltz on UPSET SPECIAL but it would be my 2nd)
    197: LL wbd NR 18-14 Iowa
    285: CW wbd BR 18-17 Iowa

SECOND
    125: McD wbd BP 3-0 Iowa (Take a chance on injury & losing the NCAAs & secure the dual right here)
    133: Long wbd Ramos 3-3 tie
    141: MM wbd AA 6-3 Iowa (Upset Special #1 in this scenario)
    149: Frank wbm Ballweg 7-6 PSU
    157: DT wbm DSJ 11-6 PSU
    165: AJ wbd JK 11-9 PSU
    174: ER wbm EL 15-9 PSU
    184: GG wbd QW 15-12 Iowa (Still Upset Special #2)
    197: LL wbd NR 15-15 tie
    285: CW wbd BR 18-15 PSU

Quite a few posters on the PSU boards are acting almost like they already have this won. But some know that Iowa is going to bring the fight. I think it is going to be a lot closer then anyone thinks when I look @ most of the predictions on TWT.

My gut feeling is that minimally Iowa is going to get at least one upset if not like 2 as I stating above. It just seems to be "what they do." Just when you think that this is the year that you have a chance to beat them they figure out a way to win if anything but just on sheer guts & determination.

BTW I will be doing a LIVE BLOG from Rec Hall with TOM. Willie is checking out if we can do an audio feed. I hope so. It will be good & a lot fun!
    Last edited by kr1963; 01-26-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Library cut me off b4 I could finsh. Had to relog on on.

Marion isn't going to go 149. He's walking around way too light, so even if he did Molinaro would use his size and just maul him.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Not that it matters a whole lot, but I think St. John beat Taylor during the freestyle season.
    He did, but watching Taylor now as opposed to Taylor this summer is like watching two different people.

He's much more polished on his feet now than he was just six months ago, and free for the most part eliminates top wrestling which he's been killing guys with so far this year.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Like JensenS said, you're right. Taylor also beat St. John in the wrestle-backs of the same tournament and took third.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Iowa pull out the win. I think we could see an upset at 33 with Long running low on fuel and giving up the bout to Ramos/Clark. 84 is another weight I could see Iowa pulling an upset. Going to be much closer than people expect. Marion and Alton? Pretty interesting stuff. On the other hand... wouldn't surprise me to see PSU by 15+....going to be great either way.

I never consider IOWA as being beaten UNTIL it happens-they have so much depth and TRADITION and pride that they could easily win this -my analytic view is posted above-but NEVER count Iowa out-NEVER.
    I HATE to mention this but IU was the same way in Basketball-somehow , Knight took a bunch of average kids and won big 10 title year after year. Beat a UNC team with Jordan,Perkins,Worthy,and a couple of other NBA greats and beat them with Dan Dakich and Steve Alford and 3 guys I cannot remember.
    Pride and Tradition will play an unseen role in this dual.

It seems as if the BTN listened to Penn St and Iowa fans who emailed them to let them know that they wished this dual was being televised earier than a few days later, as now it is taped delayed for the same day.

Maybe it would be a good idea for some of you who are not fans of either team to let them know that you would've made this one appointment TV if it were aired live. Maybe they will continue to listen to the wrestling community and air more "big" matches live. There's gotta be more interest for this meet than the OSU/whomever girls basketball game they are showing instead of airing this live.

Drop them an email. It couldn't hurt.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    It seems as if the BTN listened to Penn St and Iowa fans who emailed them to let them know that they wished this dual was being televised earier than a few days later, as now it is taped delayed for the same day.

Maybe it would be a good idea for some of you who are not fans of either team to let them know that you would've made this one appointment TV if it were aired live. Maybe they will continue to listen to the wrestling community and air more "big" matches live. There's gotta be more interest for this meet than the OSU/whomever girls basketball game they are showing instead of airing this live.

Drop them an email. It couldn't hurt.
    Totally agree Herk. There is really NO reason why this shouldnt at least be on an online feed. During BT FB games you can see 2 or 3 other games besides the ones on the tube. Sad to think WBB is outdrawing wrestling on TV.

I have no stats or anything, but wbb probably outdraws wrestling by alot as a whole. However I don't think there would be many games that would outdraw this dual meet in terms of viewers. It makes you wonder what kind of people they have putting together the tv programming, respectfully. If there was someone with half an interest in wrestling in on the decision they had to have spoken up about this one for sure...right? Not to mention the Midlands finals.

Now, back to the topic on hand.

125 Mcdonough MD Pataky, wbf Cashera 4-0 Iowa

133 Ramos dec Long, 7-0 Iowa

141 Marion dec Alton, 10-0 Iowa

149 Molinaro MD Ballweg, 10-4 Iowa

157 Taylor MD St. John, 10-8 Iowa

165 Janssen wbd Kemmerer, 13-8 Iowa

174 Ruth dec Lofthouse, 13-11 Iowa

184 Gambrall dec Wright, 16-11 Iowa

197 Lofthouse MD Ruggear/Ortega 20-11 Iowa

285 Wade MD Raising 20-15 Iowa or 22-15 Iowa

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!