Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats up with Darrion Caldwell

Default Re: Whats up with Darrion Caldwell

Good news!

And just like that, TheMat does an article on him:

http://www.themat.com/section.php?se...rticleID=23021

Excuse me if this is already common knowledge but is Andrew Howe out for the season ?....If yes - will he be able to use a redshirt this season ?

I find the fact that Darrion Caldwell is often listed as number 1 in the rankings (last time I looked at Intermat for instance) a little odd. Although I certainly agree that he is a great wrestler, the fact that he's wrestled so little this year doesn't seem to me to indicate great victories at the NCAA's. I've been able to watch Dake wrestle a fair amount of times on the internet and on TV this year, and he doesn't exactly sparkle either, but I still wonder how Darrion will do when it comes down to the big matches. Does anyone have any ideas/opinions on a possible match between Dake and Caldwell? Would you all freak if Molinaro from Penn State actually won it?

There was a thread a while back that discussed DC against Dake. The vast majority of posters were of the opinion that a healthy Caldwell is on a much higher level than Dake, some going so far as to say a not fully healed Caldwell still beats Dake.

The thing about Dake is that he seems to refuse to lose, but also this year he sometimes seems to do just enough to win, against both unranked and ranked opponents. I don't know if weight and/or injuries are an issue with him but I agree he has looked sluggish. In the past he has been able to rip off these vicious offensive explosions and throws that I really haven't seen this year. He just doesn't seem to be wrestling MEAN. I can't totally count him out of title contention but I still see Caldwell putting a serious ass kick onto him.

As far as the big matches, Caldwell knows the deal very well in March; he has been in some all-out wars in the past and the only questions with him concern his injuries, not his head.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Molinaro beat Dake at all but there is no way in hell he beats Caldwell. Something similar to DC vs Palmer will occur in that match-up.

I've only seen Caldwell wrestle through videos (flow wrestling etc.) There is one where he wrestles Lance Palmer and just over-powers him. Of course, then there's the NCAA match with Metcalf and the earlier one where he puts Metcalf in a standing cradle. So, I think I would agree that Caldwell is a heck of a wrestler and he ought to win. I hope Caldwell is well enough to get to the NCAAs and prove that he deserves another championship. But that's what's perplexed me about his wrestling this year - so far (as of Jan. 28th) - he hasn't wrestled much. I just figured that meant his shoulder wasn't really healed entirely. That left me wondering who might contend for the title if Caldwell is unavailable.

he wrestled last night against Dook. Nereim went 157.

"Darrion looked like Darrion," Jordan said. "What else can you say? He's just a special wrestler. We've been careful in bringing him back from his shoulder injury, but he hasn't shown any ill effects. And for a freshman, Matt Nereim has been spectacular. We've been using him at 149 while we've brought Darrion along from his injury.
    Last edited by Stardust; 01-28-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Quote Originally Posted by german663 View Post
    That left me wondering who might contend for the title if Caldwell is unavailable.
    Minus DC, It's Dake, Molinaro, LeValley, Chamberlain, Mario Mason, and then I guess really anyone in the top eight or ten as well. They have handled Caldwell with kid gloves this year but he's wrestling now at his usual level, apparently, so hopefully we'll see him at 100% for the remainder of the year.

And yeah, that's the match with Palmer I was referring to. That was an arse-whipping in the extreme.

under ''breaking News'' I posted a video of Nereim and this kid looks incredible -I realize the huge differecnec in comp but it is fun to watch none the less. Look under NCState 30-Duke 15. Nereim bumped up to 57 last night and had another first period stick.