Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cal Poly beats Oregon State

Default Re: Cal Poly beats Oregon State

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Isn't it against our league rules to not announce yourself as a ginger before joining? I feel betrayed and deceived.
    There are no full disclosure statutes in our bylaws regarding gingers. I checked.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Pretty sure Smith beat Hanke last year at Pac 10's too.
    Pretty sure you'd remember THAT. Or was it Casperson you had ??

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    I had Casperson for a while last year. Thanks for reminding me of that Russ.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

NCAA Champ

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sp...icle_id=105550

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- Filip Novachkov scored a takedown with 10 seconds remaining and his brother, Boris Novachkov, earned enough riding time as Cal Poly upset Oregon State 18-15 in a Pacific-10 Conference dual wrestling meet Friday night in Gill Coliseum.

Filip Novachkov’s late takedown earned the senior a 6-4 decision over Garrett Drucker at 133 pounds while Boris Novachkov’s 90 seconds of riding time was the difference in a 3-2 decision over Michael Mangrum at 141 pounds, giving the Mustangs an insurmountable 18-11 advantage with one bout remaining.

With the win, Cal Poly, ranked No. 24 in the National Wrestling Coaches Association poll this week and presented by Meathead Movers, improved to 6-0 in dual meets this season, including a 2-0 mark in Pac-10 matches. Oregon State, ranked No. 13 and the defending Pac-10 champion, fell to 7-4-2 and 1-2-1.

The Mustangs beat the Beavers for the first time since 1989 and snapped a streak of 18 consecutive dual meet losses to Oregon State. The two teams met for the 48th time Friday night and Oregon State still holds a 35-11-2 advantage in the series.

Cal Poly won six of the 10 bouts against the Beavers, all by decision. Oregon State’s four wins included three major decisions.

Filip Novachkov was ranked No. 14 by InterMat this week and upset No. 11 Drucker with a pair of takedowns and two escapes. Drucker escaped early in the third period to tie the 133 bout at 4-4, but Novachkov’s takedown with 10 seconds to go broke the deadlock and gave Cal Poly a 15-11 lead. Filip Novachkov is now 7-5 on the year.

Boris Novachkov, ranked No. 4 by InterMat, faced No. 11 Mike Mangrum at 141. Novachkov scored a reversal in the second period and surrendered escapes in the second and third periods, but his 1 minute, 30 seconds in riding time proved decisive. Novachkov is now 19-1 on the year.

The Mustangs also scored two upset wins in the heavier weights.

At 197, unranked Ryan Smith (pictured above) scored a 5-3 decision over No. 19 Chad Hanke, scoring a takedown with 44 seconds left for a 5-2 advantage and holding on for his 12th win in 16 matches.

And at 285, unranked Atticus Disney, who had lost seven of his last nine matches, earned a 12-6 victory over No. 12 Clayton Jack, avenging a 4-1 loss in the Las Vegas Invitational last month. Disney, now 10-7 on the year, jumped to a 7-0 lead in the first four minutes with two takedowns, an escape and a two-point near fall and coasted to the win.

Cal Poly sprinted to a 6-0 lead with wins in the opening two bouts.

At 157, Barrett Abel (19-7) compiled an 8-2 first-period lead and rolled to an 11-5 decision over Alex Elder while at 165, No. 17 Ryan DesRoches improved to 25-5 with a 5-3 decision against Jonathan Brascetta thanks to a takedown, two escapes and 1:35 in riding time.

Oregon State’s winners by major decision were Jason Lara at 125, No. 20 Scott Sakaguchi at 149 and No. 7 Colby Covington at 174. Brice Arand was a 5-0 winner over Mustang Kelan Bragg at 184.

Cal Poly visits No. 9 Boise State on Sunday afternoon at 1 o’clock PST.

Cal Poly (18) at Oregon State (15):
    157 -- Barrett Abel (CP) dec. Alex Elder (OSU) 11-5
    165 -- Ryan DesRoches (CP) dec. Jonathan Brascetta (OSU) 5-3
    174 -- Colby Covington (OSU) maj. dec. Steven Vasquez (CP) 21-10
    184 -- Brice Arand (OSU) dec. Kelan Bragg (CP) 5-0
    197 -- Ryan Smith (CP) dec. Chad Hanke (OSU) 5-3
    285 -- Atticus Disney (CP) dec. Clayton Jack (OSU) 12-6
    125 -- Jason Lara (OSU) maj. dec. Brandan Rocha (CP) 12-3
    133 -- Filip Novachkov (CP) dec. Garrett Drucker (OSU) 6-4
    141 -- Boris Novachkov (CP) dec. Michael Mangrum (OSU) 3-2
    149 -- Scott Sakaguchi (OSU) dec. Stephen Thalin (CP) 12-4

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Smith knocked Hanke out, then Casperson beat Hanke for true third I think...
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Is Drucker the starter now over Kubec?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Yes.

I believe so. He's had decent results and beat him 8-2 this year.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Well,KINDA-Zalesky said if Drucker lost there would be another wrestle off between KK and Drucker as KK is a 2 year starter.