Thread: J Rob inks multi-year deal

Default J Rob inks multi-year deal

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/7881

Is it common for wrestling coaches to work on a year by year basis...seems crazy that J was year to year for 25 years. Good for J and good for the U of M!

Default Re: J Rob inks multi-year deal

The only way JRob inks a multi-year deal is if Minny anted up a deal that offered close to parity with some other head coaches at UM. No doubt the deal CS crushed with Penn State influenced the volume of cashflow for Coach R.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Default U's Robinson Lands His First Multi-Year Deal

U's Robinson lands his first multiyear deal

J Robinson, in his 25th season as the Gophers wrestling coach, has signed his first multiyear contract. It's a five-year deal that runs through the 2013-14 season and is retroactive to the 2009-10 season. He had always worked on a year-to-year basis before.

"I could not be more pleased that we have been able to reach this agreement with J," Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi said. "This multiyear contract is a just reward for a job well done, and we are thrilled to have an individual who is widely considered to be among the finest wrestling coaches ever committed to our program through 2014."

Robinson has led three teams to NCAA championships in 2001, '02 and '07 and was named the national coach of the year twice, in 1998 and 2001.

"Joel and I had been talking about [a multi-year contract] for a couple of years, and we got together to work out some of the details," said Robinson, 64. "It seemed to be a good time to do it."
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Default Re: U's Robinson Lands His First Multi-Year Deal

I'm guessing thats his target retirement date. I can see why Hahn couldn't wait around now. Good for J. Robinson though and it gives the program plenty of time to transition to a new coach down the road.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Default Re: J Rob inks multi-year deal

J has always had that agreement. He was the one who was always okay with it. He would be the first one to tell you that.