Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • sucks, and should be replaced with a "freestyle" pushout rule

2 4.44%
  • sucks, and referees should call stalling or fleeing a lot more

25 55.56%
  • is not a big deal

12 26.67%
  • is awesome, and the rules should encourage more out of bounds wrestling!

1 2.22%
  • anyoone who leaves the mat should be shot

5 11.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of Bounds

Default Re: Out of Bounds

I wouldve left too Russ. That's no way to wrestle. That's exactly the reason Gable had to make the mat bigger. So there was more room to wrestle those dirty stallng cowboys.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

The push out rule is one of the few new rules that I like. The action stays in the middle and the two minute periods are done in about two minutes. I think the NCAA wrestling could use this rule, especially at the hghest level where so much action stops when one wrestlers "works" his way out of bounds as a defense.

The one problem I have with FS rules is a pushout is worth as much as a takedown so for Folkstyle the first instance could be a warning and then the 2nd one worth one point and it would still make takedowns be a lot more valuiable than pushouts.

The stalling Cowboys are scoring bonus points in just over 50% of their matches this year. Gotta think that is a pretty good average for a bunch that doesn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    The stalling Cowboys are scoring bonus points in just over 50% of their matches this year. Gotta think that is a pretty good average for a bunch that doesn't do anything.

I don't care what you say. They're still rotten...even the two on my fantasy team.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I wouldve left too Russ. That's no way to wrestle. That's exactly the reason Gable had to make the mat bigger. So there was more room to wrestle those dirty stallng cowboys.
    Ha Ha Ha.....its not just the Cowboys, but a lot of schools play the edge, or whatever you want to call it. I hate it personally, but I dont want a push out rule either as it makes it too much like freestyle and I think freestyle is ridiculous with their rules now as well.

Just call stalling more and it will stop. The officials need to be more consistent with their stalling calls and not just call it at the end of matches when it counts. If they are backing off the mat in the first period nail him for it. Of course, being an Iowa fan we have seen this technique put into play many many times over the years as wrestlers will basically refuse to compete at times to "save their lives". Then opposing fans bitch and moan about how Iowa fans own the officials into making a stall call. Easy solution, dont stall, and officials be consistent with calling stalling. It is a rule for a reason.

Even in old-rules freestyle we were taught to stay on the mat. Referees usually gave a couple of warnings when you backed off, and then started handing out cautions. I've had refs say stuff like "next guy who goes off is getting cautioned". It worked pretty well, though of course there were gold medals decided om controvertial point/no point decisions.

On a side note, I think a lot of people overestimate how much the pushout affects modern freestyle. Certainly there is the odd chitzy point scored, but I'd bet most "pushouts" are really the result of a guy being driven out- and often to the mat- wth a solid leg attack.

I would be in favor of adding the zone to collegiate mats and having the refs encouraging movement to the center and giving out cautions for not doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Agree. Sometimes that's where things end up, at the edge. We can't have guys wrestling in a tube, that is why we have all that nice mat space.

I don't like the push-out rule. Seems like cheap points to me, for some reason. I guess maybe I don't get how a lot of technique is involved in the push-out and it borders on Sumo wrestling to my eyes. Maybe award points after multiple push-outs?
    In SUMO wrestling (Japan) if you push the guy out YOU WIN! Good as a pin!

Make the mats bigger
    Gold is an idiot.