Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legendary career in retrospective ? a few favorite Dan Gable tales

Default Legendary career in retrospective ? a few favorite Dan Gable tales

http://thegazette.com/2011/01/02/gal...n-gable-tales/

Terry Brands
    Brands is an assistant with the Hawkeyes today, joining his brother, Tom, on the staff. Terry was a three-time All-American, winning NCAA titles 1990 and ?92.

?Sitting in the locker room I approached Coach Gable after a workout and said, ?What?s that red spot on your forward?? He looked bewildered and just shrugged his shoulders. I leaned in to look closer and slapped his forehead with my hand to create the ?red spot.? Hahahahahahaha. Boy did I laugh and said something like, ?Got ya good! Hahahahahahaha!? The next day after practice Gable was sitting in the same place by his locker after a practice and I go up to him and say, ?What?s that red spot on your forehead?? He looks bewildered and just stares back at me. I lean in closer and quickly slap his forehead again. ?Hahahaha! I can?t believe you fell for that again!? I say. Dead pan, he says, ?I didn?t fall for that. I just didn?t think you were that stupid to do it again.?

Barry Davis
    Davis, the head coach at Wisconsin, was a three-time NCAA champion and four-time All-American for Gable from 1980-81 through the 1984-85 season, with a break to win an Olympic silver medal in 1984.

Davis remembers the birth of Gable?s daughter Annie.

?Gable left practice to go the hospital,? Davis said. ?All of a sudden the door opens and he walks in (hours later) ? everybody stopped and looked at him. He shook his head like ?no.? We knew it was another girls so we just kept wrestling.?

Davis also remembers a time during his freshmen or sophomore year when Gable walked into the room after an interview with a newspaper reporter.

??I told him Iowa State wouldn?t win a match. You guys better back me up?,? Davis recalls Gable saying. ?He had that much faith in us. Nobody wanted to let him down.?

Iowa won nine of the 10 matches.

GALLERY: Gable at Iowa

Click the link at the top to read the rest
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Default Re: Legendary career in retrospective ? a few favorite Dan Gable tales

http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/coll...eat-reads.html

For those that haven't read Randy Lewis' articles

Fantastic stuff. Thanks for posting it!
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Yes very good. I'd heard the Barry Davis story before, but not the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

One of the old-school Canadian wrestlers told me about the time he went to a freestyle training camp at Iowa. His first live go he wrestled one of the Brands boys and took him down right away with a double. Brands was so mad he got up, ran to the rope, climbed up and down it and kept wrestling. The Canadian guy then took him down again with the same move, and Brands ran to the rope and did the same thing. "Then I didn't score on him again for the rest of the week."

Apparently Gable would sit there and ride the stationary bike hard for the whole practice, since his knees were too messed up to wrestle, and people put ice packs on him to keep him from overheating. Also, I was told that an NCAA gut wrenched one of the assistant coaches after the whistle during a scrimmage, and the coach turn around and punched him right out.

When I was in 7th grade a friend and I were at the hotel for high school state wrestling. The Iowa team was staying at our hotel. At one point my buddy and I ended up sitting in the sauna with Gable, Lincoln Mac and Joel Sharratt. We listened to Gable tell us stories for a while. Couldnt tell you what the stories were about. I was just in awe of who we were "hanging" out with. After a while Joel and Lincoln started working out. That's when we left the sauna. Wish I could remember what we talked about.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    When I was in 7th grade a friend and I were at the hotel for high school state wrestling. The Iowa team was staying at our hotel. At one point my buddy and I ended up sitting in the sauna with Gable, Lincoln Mac and Joel Sharratt. We listened to Gable tell us stories for a while. Couldnt tell you what the stories were about. I was just in awe of who we were "hanging" out with. After a while Joel and Lincoln started working out. That's when we left the sauna. Wish I could remember what we talked about.
    I remember way on back a number of years ago, around the time of the Iowa high school state wrestling championships. I saw Gable at a hotel in Iowa, and he and Linconln Mcilravy, and Joel Sharrat told me about this annoying middle schooler that stared and drooled at them in the sauna for awhile. Gable said that Lincoln wanted to pummel the young man, but was worried that Lincoln would contract some sort of communicable disease during the drubbing of the young man.

Gable laughed for 30 minutes straight after telling that story and gave me the biggest hug.

What a cool guy.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I remember way on back a number of years ago, around the time of the Iowa high school state wrestling championships. I saw Gable at a hotel in Iowa, and he and Linconln Mcilravy, and Joel Sharrat told me about this annoying middle schooler that stared and drooled at them in the sauna for awhile. Gable said that Lincoln wanted to pummel the young man, but was worried that Lincoln would contract some sort of communicable disease during the drubbing of the young man.

Gable laughed for 30 minutes straight after telling that story and gave me the biggest hug.

What a cool guy.
    He was probably talking about my buddy.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09