Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The rivalry

Default Re: The rivalry

As Waylon Jennings would say, "Don't you think this rivalry thing's done got out of hand?"

I can't help but notice how much Iowa and ISU (but especially Iowa) puts into this "interstate rivalry" every year.

In all sports at Iowa, the number one goal year after year seems to be "beat ISU," while the second goal seems to be to win the conference, then etc, etc.

For a non-conference dual/game/meet, or what have you, it just seems that way too much is vested in this one fairly meaningless event for each Iowa sports team.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    As Waylon Jennings would say, "Don't you think this rivalry thing's done got out of hand?"

I can't help but notice how much Iowa and ISU (but especially Iowa) puts into this "interstate rivalry" every year.

In all sports at Iowa, the number one goal year after year seems to be "beat ISU," while the second goal seems to be to win the conference, then etc, etc.

For a non-conference dual/game/meet, or what have you, it just seems that way too much is vested in this one fairly meaningless event for each Iowa sports team.
    So - by this logic - the 21 national titles are meaningless?

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    So - by this logic - the 21 national titles are meaningless?
    Huh?! An Iowa/ISU game is a far stretch to compare to a national title. How does beating ISU lead directly to a national title? Yet, a large measure of success in Iowa athletics is whether or not they beat ISU. That's my point.

Either way, the national titles are included under my "etc, etc" that I stated.

Ban, by your logic the most important thing for Iowa is to beat Iowa State. The national titles are second to that one dual.

IMO you couldnt be any further from reality. A national title is the goal, but to do it in a dominating fashion is the only way we want to do it. Beating ISU will always be PART of the goal but it will never be THE goal.

Beating Iowa or ISU would probably be a good goal for UNI however.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Huh?! An Iowa/ISU game is a far stretch to compare to a national title. How does beating ISU lead directly to a national title? Yet, a large measure of success in Iowa athletics is whether or not they beat ISU. That's my point.

Either way, the national titles are included under my "etc, etc" that I stated.
    The reason that it is so important every year is because of the timing. It is usually the first real test of the season for both schools and is used as an indicator of how each others season will go, but don't think that winning nationals isn't the most important goal of each and every wrestler

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Ban, by your logic the most important thing for Iowa is to beat Iowa State. The national titles are second to that one dual.

IMO you couldnt be any further from reality. A national title is the goal, but to do it in a dominating fashion is the only way we want to do it. Beating ISU will always be PART of the goal but it will never be THE goal.

Beating Iowa or ISU would probably be a good goal for UNI however.
    Keep in mind that I also mentioned other sports, not just wrestling. I actually developed that idea from a colleague of mine who said that about Iowa football.

In fact, yes, beating Iowa and ISU is a big goal for UNI. It ought to be, as it's pretty tough to compete with them for dollars, facilities, and recruits.

I keep forgetting that you're the big UNI fan who does nothing but complain about them and dis them. That's fine, us true fans are just fine without the fair weather ones.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 12-02-2008 at 01:33 PM.

I don't complain or dis the Panthers. I think they need a new coach. When I lived in Cedar Falls I went to alot of panther wrestling meets. They are my second favorite team. If we would have talked during the era between Gable and Brands you would have heard me not satisfied with the Hawkeyes either. I think UNI needs to be held to a higher standard when it comes to wrestling. I think that they can compete and be in the top ten on an annual basis. You are content with regional titles and making excuses.