Thread: Big 10 Wrestler of the Week: You might be surprised.

Default Big 10 Wrestler of the Week: You might be surprised.

After improving his season record to a perfect 9-0 with an individual title at 141 pounds at the Kaufman-Brand Open over the weekend, Minnesota sophomore Mike Thorn was named Wrestler of the Week by the Big Ten conference office today.

Thorn, a St. Michael, Minn. native, earned his second individual title in as many weeks with an impressive 5-3 upset decision over Tennessee-Chattanooga?s fourth-ranked Cody Cleveland in the championship bout. His path to the championship included two pins and a 4-1 decision victory over North Dakota State?s Gabe Mooney in the semifinals.

In his third season with the program, Thorn is expected to be a key contributor for the Gophers, who return just four starters this season. Just two years removed from an NCAA title, Minnesota will welcome Thorn as be one of the key newcomers to the starting lineup this season.

Thorn and the Gophers return to action this weekend at the Northern Quad, where they will face Northern Colorado, North Dakota State and Portland State in a dual meet format at the UCR Regional Sports Center in Rochester, Minn. Minnesota first dual with Portland State begins at 10:00 a.m.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Default Re: Big 10 Wrestler of the Week: You might be surprised.

I am not surprised, to tell you the truth. I believed that Thorny would have been a tough beat for Manny Rivera last season, and I am a big fan of Manny's so that is a compliment for Thorny and not a rip on Manny. Thorn has a great shot at AA this season, 141 is open and he is as talented as anyone in the weight class, soon the rest of the nation will see.

If Thorn keeps his composure he will be dangerous.

Default Re: Big 10 Wrestler of the Week: You might be surprised.

He has a great array of offense, that should be refreshing to watch this year.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."