Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: # 5 Penn State vs #22 Ohio State predictions/discussion/results

Default Re: # 5 Penn State vs #22 Ohio State predictions/discussion/results

I wasn't "LoL'ing" in the first place, and before you try and paint me as a "Taylor Hater!!!!!!" take a look through my prediction threads from the summer and the fall and see where I placed him.

Some of you Taylor people are going to wind up doing the same thing to him that Metcalf fans did to him (and I'm pretty sure I predicted this as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    A rather ignorant and incorrect statement. In interviews afterward, David said that it was nice to have someone come after him like Sponseller did and that most guys don't. Taylor had 5+ minutes of riding time in the match. It's kind of hard to mount an offense when you're fighting off countless turn attempts and trying to escape. If my memory serves me right, one of Taylor's takedowns was a counter off Sponseller's shot.

He wasn't very successful, but Colt never stopped trying in that match. He was just outmatched.
    I think he was trying to be nice what he really meant was Colt is a little better than my sister. I was there and saw the match Colt is not in his league.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I think he was trying to be nice what he really meant was Colt is a little better than my sister. I was there and saw the match Colt is not in his league.
    Sponseller has done nothing to give you reason to belittle him like you are doing.

With that said, Taylor is tough. I've been following him since he was a wee 103lber beating guys he wasn't supposed to. I'm not even surprised by what he does anymore. Anything is possible for that guy.

I quess I am being a little rough on him I remember when he impressed me as a wrestler . What I saw yesterday was only a shell of that wrestler no offense no effort. At least not the type of effort I expected or was it DT never gave him a chance .

My question is, how do you handle this loss if you are Coach Ryan? I think going into the match, everybody knew it wasn't going to be too close but I don't think anyone really thought it was going to be such a brutalizing. These teams were in different leagues. tOSU has been hit with some injuries that they weren't ready for and they don't have their full strength out there but this was a bit humiliating. SO, as Ryan, are you pissed off at the team today, are you feeling just plain beat up as well, or maybe some of both? What do you say/do at practice today? Do you run the dog$hit out of these guys, do you go off on a rant, do you act like nothing happened, what the hell do you do? Times like these are what wrestlers and coaches dread, waiting for that next practice after taking a whoopin'.

My question is, how do you handle this loss if you are Coach Ryan? I think going into the match, everybody knew it wasn't going to be too close but I don't think anyone really thought it was going to be such a brutalizing. These teams were in different leagues. tOSU has been hit with some injuries that they weren't ready for and they don't have their full strength out there but this was a bit humiliating. SO, as Ryan, are you pissed off at the team today, are you feeling just plain beat up as well, or maybe some of both? What do you say/do at practice today? Do you run the dog$hit out of these guys, do you go off on a rant, do you act like nothing happened, what the hell do you do? Times like these are what wrestlers and coaches dread, waiting for that next practice after taking a whoopin'.

Here is Gold's take on the dual with some good quotes from Ryan:

2010 OSU Wrestling - Pennsylvania Breakdown - PSU-OSU - In Focus (12/20) | www.buckeyewrestling.com
    In response to an experiment that has clearly been unsuccessful, the Buckeyes will move their star senior back up to 165, where he competed for the first three years of his career. "Colt went down to 157 to win a NCAA title, not to place. At this point we have decided to move Colt back up to 165,"stated Tom Ryan after the dual. Echoing the sentiments many fans have expressed all season, Tom Ryan explained that Sponseller "is a high energy wrestler with little energy (at 157). He cares about wrestling and works his tail off. The passion is there."

It's tough to say if the Buckeyes hit rock bottom this weekend. If they didn't, they were only three small points away from it. Coach Ryan acknowledges this. "It was worse than the score… There were many reasons we got whipped… Some fall on the shoulders of the staff, some on the shoulders of our athletes, and some is out of our control." Ryan continued, "When a team loses four four-time state champions there are going to be some struggles. Again, that's out of our control."

If fans are unhappy, the coach is in agreement. "If I were a fan I would be disappointed in the team’s performance. I appreciate people expecting excellence. We do too. The Buckeyes should never be down like this. It is unacceptable, but it is the reality."

While he knows there are far too many issues to address overnight, Ryan encourages fans not to lose hope. "Fans should know that we will be back and no one thinks this is OK… We have the nation's best class coming in and we need to get our current student-athletes fighting harder… The choice to change takes an instant, improving takes continuous hard work."

Ultimately, Ryan accepts a large portion of the blame himself. "I have made poor decisions. I need to learn from those and deal with my current hand."
    “We will get better by working hard every day, living disciplined lives, and sticking together. I am not sure anyone is more disappointed than our staff. We give many hours to this,” offered Ryan. “We learn a lot about ourselves and our friends in tough times.”

Any other PSU-OSU articles I am going to post on the EVERYTHING PENN STATE WRESTLING thread.