Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gable: Iowa wrestling program on its way back

Default Re: Gable: Iowa wrestling program on its way back

Yep, Gable is the real deal. He CAN take less talented athletes and turn them into AAs and National Champions..........that is his particular talent as a coach. It is also a talent that JRob has. As long as both those guys are coaching, Minny and the Hawks are going to be dominating.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I am just curious: How many of those other years did he have a 2nd ranked or even top five ranked class?
    The legend of Gable would have me beieve that usually his recruits would not amount to a top ten class.

Either way what he did amazing and I agree that he may be the best coach ever in any sport. I am still rooting against Iowa.
    That'll take me some time to research. I'll look into it, but probably won't have anything until Monday or Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Agreed. I think Iowa fans have had a hard time accepting that their wrestlers just did not have the talent in the last few years and have blamed it on not having the right attitude and now not buying into the program
    This is somewhat, but not entirely, correct. You weren't sitting there through all of those Ty Eustice matches, knowing that he was the better wrestler and knowing that he could score whenever he wanted and agonizing because you could see that he just didn't believe in himself enough to pull the trigger.

You're also wrong if you believe that we didn't know we weren't even contending in the recruiting wars. Believe it or not, we (corn-fed hicks that we are) may actually know a thing or two about college wrestling.

As I said earlier, Tom B is, as yet, unproven. Gable is not. Let's see what happens in the next 2 - 3 years.

"most of us feel that it's "normal" for the Hawks to be at the top of the heap at least 2 out of every 3 years (20 titles in 30 years - you do the math). "
    -gg121and2

What have you done for me lately?

God, my Minnesota Gophers have won National Championships back in the 40's for football but you don't hear me using that material to defend their program today.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

World Champ

Iowa's string under Gable and the gophers 40's football championships are hardly analogous, but I sure get your point. It's put up or shut up, and the Hawks have to prove that there's something behind the bravado.

But as JRob said in a SI article last year, wrestling is a major sport in Iowa and a minor sport in other states, as shown by attendance figures last year. So the pressure from rank&file fans is on Brands & Co. to deliver.
    I wouldn't overlook the 'clones, the cowboys, or the buckeyes this year either. Interesting times.

Absolutely Grapple Fan,

Thats why I love the sport. Two years ago when Ok State was favored to win the NCAA's by a landslide (which they did), it was still fun to watch them have trouble with Minnesota in the dual meet format. Its also fun to watch young wrestlers develop because as we all know those are the guys that can make a match exciting. Who knew that DS was going to take out Esposito in those dual matches two years ago. I would not have said that he was going to win both of them for sure and probably still saw the first match as an upset as did many.

It was awesome watching Missouri make a serious run also last year and had Maskren done anything, we may be talking an entirely different story about the NCAA Tournament Champion last year.

Although Gofers are favored this year, I see Iowa, Ohio State and Okie State being much improved. Iowa State lost a bit to graduation and I am curious who will step up and be the leaders of that team. It will be a great year for wrestling I predict.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."